Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking your gun to another state drama...

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I lived through those riots. BTW, read your link all the way through -- 38 died.

I know I went armed during those four days -- I had a baseball bat in the car.

Reginald Denny was not attacked with firearms by Damien Williams and friends. Although it is interesting to note that Mr. Williams was saved by Bobby Green, an unarmed former Green Beret -- when he saw the riots breaking out, he voluntarily drove to the riot area without firearms.

BTW, I recall an article in the LA Times about the reaction in the LAPD stations when they heard about the percipitating event of the riots -- they cheered. Not, "oh boy, the crap is about to hit the fan, we should prepare." Fine, be happy that your colleagues beat the rap, but they should read the motto on the side of their cars: "To Serve and Protect."

BTW, George Holliday is Canadian and I am informed that he did not have legal status at the time of the beating.
Surely he drove there without a firearm because *legally* speaking that's illegal.

What I mean is, in the US, you can't go looking for a gun fight, and taking a gun to an area with a riot going on will probably fall under that.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Apr 7th 2009 at 10:34 am.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:03 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

ok motorbike time - mission ridge 4000 feet in 20 minutes

Don't shoot up the sheriff - he might not be gay !
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:22 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Let's assume the survey is flawed - let's assume, instead of 20 times more likely, it's only 10 times more likely. Heck, let's assume it's only TWO times more likely - even then - that means, for every single incident where a gun is used to good advantage, there are two 'bad outcomes'. Still makes owning a gun for 'protection' seem a bad option to me!
Well you could make the assumption also that the use for "good advantage" saved more than one life.

Almost 90% of those 20x 10x 2x were suicides - shooting yourself must hold more appeal then taking a drive off an overpass.

700,000 (if you believe the stats) crimes a year are prevented by armed civilians.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:23 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this thread can be split or something. I'm interested in the outcome of the original incident with the person caught in New York with a prohibited firearm. I've lost interest in the back and forth between people who will never agree and merely keep restating their point of view.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:28 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
Maybe this thread can be split or something. I'm interested in the outcome of the original incident with the person caught in New York with a prohibited firearm. I've lost interest in the back and forth between people who will never agree and merely keep restating their point of view.
there have been enough gun threads on here to warrant a separate sub-forum for them. We could call it The Range. Or The Shootin' Gallery.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:34 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
there have been enough gun threads on here to warrant a separate sub-forum for them. We could call it The Range. Or The Shootin' Gallery.
I agree

- and the debate is only just getting under way in the US with a new government and a pick up in the rate of massacres

90% of the posts will reiterate the polarised views in the thread, which for the most part separate along political lines, (Rush Limbaugh supporters versus the incoming pinkos), but at least it would let people vent the concerns which are on their minds
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:36 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
I agree

- and the debate is only just getting under way in the US with a new government and a pick up in the rate of massacres
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:38 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

surprising poll news

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/....control.poll/
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:42 am
Banned

Of course if that crazed woman Senator in michigan (Bachman) gets her way, there wont be debate - just a coup by the armed militias followed by the forced expulsion of all the pro-regulation people whose parents were immigrants after 1776

If she was a horse, she would be unsaleable with those scary wild eyes
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:43 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well, I think you may have damaged your own argument, inadvertently. How many people were killed in LA during the "Rodney King" event? Answer (according to this site): 13. If the LA population had been fully armed, just how many shoot-outs do you think would have ensued, and how many more deaths do you think there would be? I don't care how many gang members get shot, but I'm 100% sure that a lot of law-abiding but gun-wielding citizens would have been killed in shoot-outs with gang members.
Who said anything about fully arming LA. Just arm the good guys or the store owners. I'm not sure about California, but in New York State, a lawful owner of a firearm is authorized to use force to prevent an arson. 862 buildings were burned in the riots.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Tried to karmacize you for that, but have to spread it around first...
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
I agree with all of the above.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:54 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Tried to karmacize you for that, but have to spread it around first...
I read that as kamikaze and was more than a little aroused.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I read that as kamikaze and was more than a little aroused.
Oh please - I haven't had my breakfast yet
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
So Bill and crg agree... flamethrowers are DDs. Case closed!
You could always claim it was an elaborate cigarette lighter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.