Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Wikiposts

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:19 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking your gun to another state drama...

Originally Posted by exvj
Yes that's the point - whichever country I am living in, if another country is better in some aspect of life on which safety and happiness depends, I say let's import it

Let the UK import those aspects of the US which are better than than the UK- and let the US do the same and let's do that across the world

That way we can have less gun killing, and US standard health care but free for everyone, and be drinking French wine and eating Welsh lamb

If americans say this is america and i like everything about it and i want nothing to change, then the bad things will stay the same, and the good things will slowly disappear and it will end up like Mexico

We have tried the fortress mentality with people holed up in their houses with the biggest gun they get - and look at the results this week alone.

My wife teaches English to immigrants for free and that could have been her this week

Let's get all these hand guns melted down and only allow responsible stable people to have long guns for target shooting or hunting purposes only. It works all over the developed world and it will work here too
How does owning a handgun equate to living in fear hole up in a suburban fortress. Why stop at hanguns? or are you gonna propose UK style limits on long guns aswell...no semi's restricted mags.....hey why not just .22 shorts?

People target shoot and hunt with both pistols and rifles, nuts commit mass murder with both aswell - remember Hungerford?

Hey sod it, let's be PC and not disadvantage one particular group, lets ban 'em all.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:29 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
No winners in a defensive shooting - are you kidding, the winner is the one who's still stood up - I'd highly recommend reading some of Masaad Ayoobs books on the subject.....I'd rather suffer years of mental torment, than be minus a family member because of some noble cause.

You know since the hand gun ban in the UK, gun crime as gone up, when you prohibit something, someone will find a way to get hold of it.
The vast majority of shootings in the US, numerically speaking, are drug/gang related - these guys aint gonna hand in their guns, but would take full advantage of any other restrictions placed on us legal gun owners.

I pay tax to provide a secure future for my kids, I keep a gun to provide the same (and to have fun at the range).

I think more people are killed by alcohol/cigs then bullets.
I agree that UK gun crime has gone up and it's the drug soddened criminals in the city centres shotting each other just like the US. However the mass shootings of innocents were usually carried out by guns held legally as in Dunblane and Hungerford - I dont recall any of these 'mass stranger shootings' for decades in the UK. Imagine a US where nobody can remember a crazed mall shooting, or a sacked employee wiping out his work colleages, for decades and decades - that would be wonderful and it can be done and it has been done 'over there'

I note that you pay tax for your kids and you keep a gun to provide security for your family. How many lost their family this week ? All this 'me and mine' and to blazes with everyone else doesn't work because it could be anyone any time. Your kids and my wife are not secure in this present system even if we buy an abrams tank each and a helicopter with a 50 caliber chain gun. We have to think deeper about this.

I guarantee it will be someone's wife and someone's kid before christmas and I guarantee some of the victims will have a husband and a father who has a house full of guns, but was unable to save their family who were at work or were shopping

The present set up isn't working and a lot of people seem to think the answer is more guns not less and I know that isn't the case

Cigs kill more than bullets, but nobody ever killed three police officers and 12 voluntary helpers by ambushing them with cigs. I am in an unusual position on this as I am a gun enthusiast and was a gun club officer, but I want to know that everyone who has a gun has been thoroughly vetted and trained, and that isn't the case right now. We all know people with no criminal convictions and no psychiatric hospital record who we would not want to have a gun. So having one as a right, is as out of date as having a slave by right or having public hangings - both of which date from the time of the second amendment... actually I am wrong there - the last lawful public hanging in the USA was august 14, 1936
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:30 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

How does owning a handgun equate to living in fear hole up in a suburban fortress. Why stop at hanguns? or are you gonna propose UK style limits on long guns aswell...no semi's restricted mags.....hey why not just .22 shorts?

People target shoot and hunt with both pistols and rifles, nuts commit mass murder with both aswell - remember Hungerford?

Hey sod it, let's be PC and not disadvantage one particular group, lets ban 'em all.
He lost me when he used the phrase "for the common good"...
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
He lost me when he used the phrase "for the common good"...
Then you are easily lost. He makes a lot of very good points. In an ideal world, no one would even think of owning a gun - let's aim for some ideals, perhaps! Oh wait - we need guns to overthrow an oppressive government, I forgot ... and for that they should be worshiped and protected... yawn ...
Old Apr 5th 2009, 6:59 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that's the point - whichever country I am living in, if another country is better in some aspect of life on which safety and happiness depends, I say let's import it
So, once you're an American citizen, you're going to run for public office?

Let the UK import those aspects of the US which are better than than the UK- and let the US do the same and let's do that across the world
You are rather idealistic IMO.

That way we can have less gun killing, and US standard health care but free for everyone, and be drinking French wine and eating Welsh lamb
Now I know you're taking the proverbial piss.

If americans say this is america and i like everything about it and i want nothing to change, then the bad things will stay the same, and the good things will slowly disappear and it will end up like Mexico

We have tried the fortress mentality with people holed up in their houses with the biggest gun they get - and look at the results this week alone.
Do you actually live in the real world? Who is "we" in any case?

My wife teaches English to immigrants for free and that could have been her this week
I think that's a rather dramatic statement. Frankly, one could die any day under any circumstances. I would imagine in the USA more people die each day in car accidents than shooting sprees like what happened in NY state this past week.

Let's get all these hand guns melted down and only allow responsible stable people to have long guns for target shooting or hunting purposes only. It works all over the developed world and it will work here too
How do you propose authorities identify "responsible stable people"? Also, do you think criminals abide by the law, especially in how they obtain their firearms?
Old Apr 5th 2009, 11:41 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that UK gun crime has gone up and it's the drug soddened criminals in the city centres shotting each other just like the US. However the mass shootings of innocents were usually carried out by guns held legally as in Dunblane and Hungerford - I dont recall any of these 'mass stranger shootings' for decades in the UK. Imagine a US where nobody can remember a crazed mall shooting, or a sacked employee wiping out his work colleages, for decades and decades - that would be wonderful and it can be done and it has been done 'over there'

I note that you pay tax for your kids and you keep a gun to provide security for your family. How many lost their family this week ? All this 'me and mine' and to blazes with everyone else doesn't work because it could be anyone any time. Your kids and my wife are not secure in this present system even if we buy an abrams tank each and a helicopter with a 50 caliber chain gun. We have to think deeper about this.

I guarantee it will be someone's wife and someone's kid before christmas and I guarantee some of the victims will have a husband and a father who has a house full of guns, but was unable to save their family who were at work or were shopping

The present set up isn't working and a lot of people seem to think the answer is more guns not less and I know that isn't the case

Cigs kill more than bullets, but nobody ever killed three police officers and 12 voluntary helpers by ambushing them with cigs. I am in an unusual position on this as I am a gun enthusiast and was a gun club officer, but I want to know that everyone who has a gun has been thoroughly vetted and trained, and that isn't the case right now. We all know people with no criminal convictions and no psychiatric hospital record who we would not want to have a gun. So having one as a right, is as out of date as having a slave by right or having public hangings - both of which date from the time of the second amendment... actually I am wrong there - the last lawful public hanging in the USA was august 14, 1936
Firstly I don't recall a right to own a slave being in the bill of rights, but I'll check just to be sure

Regarding these mass shootings, do you have any stats that would indicate pistols being the prefered weapons? what's the split between rifle/pistol rampages....I know Hungerford and Texas, plus the washington trunk sniper were all long guns....which pistol events are prompting you to exclusively melt them all down?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:01 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly I don't recall a right to own a slave being in the bill of rights, but I'll check just to be sure
not directly, but that was essentially the ruling of the supreme court in the Dredd Scott decision of 1857
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:04 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding these mass shootings, do you have any stats that would indicate pistols being the prefered weapons? what's the split between rifle/pistol rampages....I know Hungerford and Texas, plus the washington trunk sniper were all long guns....which pistol events are prompting you to exclusively melt them all down?
The DC sniper was also an illegal alien. Let's add that issue to the mix. He wasn't allowed to possess that weapon at all.

The INS caught him and broke the law by releasing him. He went on to kill all of those people.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:08 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
The DC sniper was also an illegal alien.
one of them was - the junior partner in the team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Allen_Muhammad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Boyd_Malvo
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:05 am
Carmel Indiana

Originally Posted by elfman
Where's that farkin' furnace.

I'm throwin' in rifles, especially nasty black looking ones, and illegal aliens.

ps - I won't be throwing in my Henry Underlever .44mag as that clearly is a piece of art, and belongs above my mantlepiece - wheres the duraglit?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:15 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

However the mass shootings of innocents were usually carried out by guns held legally as in Dunblane and Hungerford - I dont recall any of these 'mass stranger shootings' for decades in the UK.
That's a rather odd way to use the word "usually". I think the word you are looking for is "both". The relative paucity of incidents (prior to the ban) reinforces the point made earlier about Switzerland, incidentally.

Given that Shipman, Sutcliffe, Nilsen, Wright, etc, etc, managed to rack up very respectable body counts without using firearms, this obsession is somewhat puzzling. Unless it's a cover for increased intrusion by the state into our private lives?

Ah, yes - SOP in the UK regarding people who hold these wonderful licences for long weapons is for the authorities to turn up when you're at work, trick your wife into admitting that she knows where the key to the gun cabinet is, then revoke your licence for allowing an unlicensed person access.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

That's not my point but.. now that you mention it, only the UK banned handguns (with the exception of NI), lots of other European countries allow them.

The UK gun owners were totally different to what you get in the US, you can't compare the two there's just too many variables. You're also assuming implementing one countries laws in another will produce the same result.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

When you come up with a test for crazy people, let me know will you?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:33 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Then you are easily lost. He makes a lot of very good points. In an ideal world, no one would even think of owning a gun - let's aim for some ideals, perhaps! Oh wait - we need guns to overthrow an oppressive government, I forgot ... and for that they should be worshiped and protected... yawn ...
Sorry, SP, don't really have the inclination or the time to really throw into the discussion at the moment. All the best. OF
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:40 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I remember Hungerford - it was in August 19, 1987 - nearly 22 years ago. I want the US to be a country where we have to go back many decades to recall a mass gun murder. Unfortunately, we only have to go back a few days or a few weeks usually

As I said, it's most inconvenient to tell a sensible law abiding pistol owner to give up their weapon for the greater good. So long as the USA is all about the individual and not about society as a whole, the USA must stay as it is and this is reflected in health care and guns etc.

I suppose it comes down to this - that I view the world from a more socialist
perspective where people sacrifice something for the greater good, while the USA is basically still a right wing country where individuals and individual rights come first and the victims of illness and gun crime come a long second or nowhere at all.

It will be interesting see whether the slide to the left gathers pace or whether Obama is a 4 year wonder, and then we are back to the George W way of doing things.

I know there is not much protection against a crazy guy with an AK47 while we are in the swimming pool, so lets hope we, and our children and our spouses all survive the year out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.