Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Stuff not allowed into the US.

Stuff not allowed into the US.

Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuff not allowed into the US.

Originally Posted by Tracym
starts with a "c" - Cortland? Criterion?

Guess I'll have to ask sweetie to bring me apple seeds for my birthday - didn't someone say the best way was the used underwear bag? Long wait for a pie though.
cortland, that's the one, mixed with mac's, it ain't the same, but it does a good job on the flavour
Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
cortland, that's the one, mixed with mac's, it ain't the same, but it does a good job on the flavour
Terrific, I'll give it a try, thanks. Been told how to make UK style crust, do you prefer cooking the apples first? or just bake in the pie.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

let me know who to send my address to - - - - - - all these apple pies dropping in my post box.. AS IF!!!!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Ahhh ham and pease pudding stotties from Greggs..... I miss the north east sometimes....
oh stop!! I used to love those stotties! I ate loads of pease pudding when I lived in Newcastle.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
let me know who to send my address to - - - - - - all these apple pies dropping in my post box.. AS IF!!!!
Poor thing. I'd make ya one. Doubt it would ship very well though. If you're ever visiting the Chicago area...
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:56 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Ahhh ham and pease pudding stotties from Greggs..... I miss the north east sometimes....

They stopped selling them at greggs on the Leam in gateshead

I was back home for a month last year and couldn't believe how revitalized the quayside is, it is fabulous. But bwaaaaaaaaa the sasparilla shop Laws on gateshead high street closed down after being there 125 years. I was one of their last customers.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Terrific, I'll give it a try, thanks. Been told how to make UK style crust, do you prefer cooking the apples first? or just bake in the pie.
bake 'em in the pie, there not as firm as brams so they'll turn to mush otherwise
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

clootie dumpling
What be this then?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

glad u asked i was too embarresed to ...... Clootie???
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuggy
They stopped selling them at greggs on the Leam in gateshead

I was back home for a month last year and couldn't believe how revitalized the quayside is, it is fabulous. But bwaaaaaaaaa the sasparilla shop Laws on gateshead high street closed down after being there 125 years. I was one of their last customers.
You'd think Greggs would be boycotted if they didn't do ham and pease pudding stotties...maybe sausage rolls make up for it... or those bacon and cheese pastry wrap things with half a kilo of salt on them mmmmmm

I was last in Newcastle at Christmas. I was upset to see the number of Starbucks next to the university, pandering to the southern students, and also a nasty Pret a Manger. The Londonisation of Newcastle is complete
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Deedee13
glad u asked i was too embarresed to ...... Clootie???
Oh - could also be spelled Cloutie Dumpling. The Scottish version of a Christmas pudding. Kinda similar, but a little lighter. And if you're traditional (and a glutton for punishment) you steam it in a piece of muslin coated with flour (the clout or cloth). And eat it right away, it doesn't need to age. With mmmm homemade custard.

Also, I discovered, it does NOT age well on the counter. Future mil told me to just leave it sit around - had green mold in two days. Apparently we heat the houses a bit more the she does.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:48 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
What be this then?
My Mum used to make those....
Clootie is a Scottish word for cloth...
the clootie dumpling is a dessert pudding made with flour, dried fruit suet, sugar and spices etc.,
It was all wrapped up in the cloth and placed in a pan of boiling water to cook.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Dear gawd woman! Stop kissing up to the future MIL will ya?

Marks and Spencers sells a really good one, so I'm told
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:51 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
For starters: No Fresh Fruit or Vegetables can be brought in. Nothing with Beef in it can be brought in. If you have any food or stuff it's safer to declare it. They will ask you to go through a different customs area that is just for agriculture. We brought back a bunch of Seasoning mixes and Peshwari naans last time and they were ok with that.

No Cuban Cigars and I remember something on the waiver form about Beanie Babies but that was a while back.

I always bring back foil packets of Brit catfood (keeps my wife and her cats happy). The cats seem to prefer the flavours to the US versions of the same brands.

They are always declared on the US customs form as exactly what they are and I have never had them confiscated.

Funny really...........
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I always bring back foil packets of Brit catfood (keeps my wife and her cats happy). The cats seem to prefer the flavours to the US versions of the same brands.

They are always declared on the US customs form as exactly what they are and I have never had them confiscated.

Funny really...........
suppose i could substitue the foil brit catfood for the oxo cubes....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.