British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Stereotypes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/stereotypes-846726/)

Cardienscarf Nov 10th 2014 5:12 pm

Re: Stereotypes

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11467144)
I may have generalised a bit.

There's also London Town, Scartland and Downton Abbey.

Don't forget Iyerlund. Funny how no one ever mentions Wales.

GeoffM Nov 10th 2014 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 11467334)

I think it's a stop on the Metropolitan Line.

Anian Nov 10th 2014 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 11467333)
Why is that the kitchen staff always have a west country accent on costume dramas? Is it written in "Costume Drama Directing for Dummies"?

All poor people in the past had west country accents. The more mud on their clothes, the more bumpkin it goes. That's tv and Hollywood for you.

Pulaski Nov 10th 2014 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11467157)
I think I might be the only person in the world who couldn't give less of a shit about Downton Abbey if I had my arse sewn closed. I don't understand the fascination with it out here :blink:

You are not alone, but it amazes me how often I am asked if I watch it. Probably a couple of dozen times, usually by people asking about my accent.

Sally Redux Nov 10th 2014 7:38 pm

Iyerlund is one big happy place of harmony and St Patty's Day fun. I have only heard Wales mentioned once, can't remember the context, but I was asked if they spoke French.

S Folinsky Nov 10th 2014 8:00 pm

Sir Thomas More:

Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for Wales?

SultanOfSwing Nov 10th 2014 8:10 pm

Given I haven't made an on-topic post yet, which is so unlike me, I haven't really noticed too many stereotypes, other than people going mental over sport. Which is a pretty harmless one really and it keeps the bars packed for my gigs, so win win.

MsElui Nov 10th 2014 8:16 pm

Ive seen way less Hawaiian shirts here than i expected - does that count lol?

Lorna at Vicenza Nov 10th 2014 8:23 pm

The best lesson in stereotypes comes when teaching foreigners - Italians in my case. The students knew what stereotype meant and even came up with a few British ones whether true or false: drinking tea, umbrellas, The Underground, Sherlock Holmes. The fun comes when you remind them that the rest of the world has stereotypes and funny accents about them too. Italians: smalll, dark, moustache, gesticulating, good at making cars, no respect, fashion and pizza. Because they all grow up with dubbed films here and even voiceovers for "real live news coverage" they never get to hear a proper accent. They don't realise that even Disney is a big stereotype and the chef in The Little Mermaid is all about "Les Poisson", the Italians in Lady and The Tramp talk about ze meatzaballs. Ehi Tony, dogs, they do not talk. Eees-a-talking too meeee. The Lion King has the coochie coo little cub the all American and the big British Scar Face Uncle with the big bad accent.

My lesson on stereotypes with my kids was a real eye opener for them and I did also mention that Disney is Disney but, real world news coverage should at least let the Italians listen to the real voice and just use subtitles instead of dubbing every goddamn thing. When you've lived here long enough you realise that the voice dubbing Brad Pitt or Al Pacino or De Niro is yes, that nagging voice in your head that also does the toilet roll advert and the bleach and the pasta sauce and Homer Simpson. Does Cine Città only have a selection of 5 male voices?

Bob Nov 10th 2014 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11467481)
Iyerlund is one big happy place of harmony and St Patty's Day fun. I have only heard Wales mentioned once, can't remember the context, but I was asked if they spoke French.

I know someone who knew about Wales, because a grandmother or something like that was Welsh. Which was a bit of a surprise.

Then she asked where in England Wales was...at least she didn't ask if it was in London :lol:

As for stereotypes, I think the US folks are often just as harsh and unrealistic about their stereotypes of other folks in other states, never mind about from us Brits :/

Yorkieabroad Nov 11th 2014 2:33 am

Couple years back eldest son was making friends with some other kids from New Jersey on a campsite we were staying on. Came back very amused that when he told them that he was from Texas, they asked him if it was true that texas kids were allowed to ride their horses to school in 6th grade....:blink:

Mrs Danvers Nov 11th 2014 2:33 am

Isn't the main stereotype being overweight?

I live in the thinnest state so I say no. I see more fat folk in the UK than in my every day life over here. Shame really. I'd have liked to have had the privilege of getting a bit fat but nope. Gotta keep up with these thin buggers and fit in.

Uncle_Bob Nov 11th 2014 10:29 pm

They are still generally very loud, especially in restaurants. The only difference is I've gotten used to it.

Uncle_Bob Nov 11th 2014 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 11467538)
Ive seen way less Hawaiian shirts here than i expected - does that count lol?

Yeah its only on Fridays where I've worked.

Pulaski Nov 11th 2014 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob (Post 11468713)
They are still generally very loud, especially in restaurants. The only difference is I've gotten used to it.

We usually ask for a different table if the hostess tries to seat us near a table of more than six people. Two or more families at a table is a recipe for bedlam! :(