Solar Eclipse

Old Jun 22nd 2017, 10:44 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Solar Eclipse

Total Solar Eclipse 2017: How to Make Sure You Don’t Miss It

This is happening 21st August, & will be visible over much of the US.

Where I live, it'll be a partial eclipse, but people in certain parts of 14 states will see the sun 'disappear'.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar Eclipse

I'm heading down to Oregon to view it. My biggest fear is that other people will be blocking all the roads before I get there, secondary is that of it being overcast.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 1:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I have booked the day off work to go and see it, and I will be taking little Miss P with me as school hasn't started by then.

I am only a little concerned about the roads being congested with heavy traffic, and I suspect that it will end up like the total eclipse visible in Cornwall in 1999, when the risk of a monster traffic jam was so overplayed that everyone was frightened away and hardly anyone bothered to show up! That said, I will probably take regular highways and/or back roads, not the interstates, and set off before 7 am even though the journey would only take a couple of hours under normal circumstances.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If I have the day off, I may head down to Oregon to check it out. Also depends on the weather forecast.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 5:25 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

This Eclipse Simulator page shows what the eclipse should look like from your area. Just plug in your town, then click on the timeline down below the sun symbol....

https://eclipsemega.movie/simulator?...lng=-72.405239

In my area, the eclipse should begin about 2:30 pm and end an hour or so later. The top of the sun will always be visible--it's just as if a big blob of shadow will move across the lower half.

Still spooky & interesting, even if not "total"!
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 5:36 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Anian
I'm heading down to Oregon to view it. My biggest fear is that other people will be blocking all the roads before I get there, secondary is that of it being overcast.
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If I have the day off, I may head down to Oregon to check it out. Also depends on the weather forecast.
The NOOA website has a page for the estimated weather on Eclipse Day.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/ready-set-eclipse

NOAA’s NCEI and the Cooperative Institutes for Climate and Satellites–North Carolina (CICS-NC) reviewed past cloud conditions for August 21. We found that the coasts could be susceptible to cloudier conditions and that increased cloud cover may be possible as the eclipse travels across the country east of the Mississippi River.
According to their visibility map, the central US has the best chance of clear skies. My town (northeast coast) shows high possibility of fairly heavy cloud cover that day, so I'll have to keep fingers crossed....
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Total Solar Eclipse 2017: How to Make Sure You Don’t Miss It
WEBlue....thanks for the reminder - and for the impetus to purchase this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

$6.00/free shipping for 10pr. of glasses for viewing.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of driving to the middle of nowhere in eastern Oregon where there is a high probability of no cloud cover. However, my enthusiasm for doing so is tempered by the fact I did experience the '99 total eclipse in SW England.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 10:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I was in one while in Mexico some time ago. Am contemplating driving to St. Louis so the Little Lion can experience one (even though St. Louis is slightly less exotic than sub-tropical Mexico) but would have to stay the night.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Sheila and I are heading to Russellville, KY (just west of Bowling Green, KY). We're staying in BG the night before! Russellville is on the center line... and a total solar eclipse is on my bucket list. If you miss it, the next one visible in the US will be in 2024.

Ian
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
.... If you miss it, the next one visible in the US will be in 2024. ...
If you live just south of Carbondale, IL you will be on the centerline of the Eclipse this summer, and on the centreline of the one in 2024.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:52 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Steveq and I are heading to Paducah KY.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 2:15 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you live just south of Carbondale, IL you will be on the centerline of the Eclipse this summer, and on the centreline of the one in 2024.
Small consolation for living in downstate Illinois.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:40 am
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, the 2024 eclipse line goes through Rochester & Buffalo (NY), Cleveland OH, and very close to Indianapolis & Dallas.... That one passes through some of northern Mexico, plus New Brunswick and Newfoundland in Canada too.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoog...08Tgoogle.html
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 2:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for bringing this event to my attention. Was not aware of it at all. Apparently MS is not in a good spot for viewing the total eclipse. Oh well!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.