Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

So, who has a boat and do you use it?

So, who has a boat and do you use it?

Old Jan 13th 2017, 8:33 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, who has a boat and do you use it?

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Can you see Uranus ?
A river runs through it.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 8:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Can you see Uranus?
From my perspective it is obscured by the moon.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 9:09 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure

@PetiteFrancaise - impressed you are taking up rowing/sculling. Stick with it, you can't beat being out on the water (as long as you stay upright!). Are you on a river/lake/coastal?
It's the townlake in Austin - which would be a river if not for the dam at each end.

I used to sail too. Out on the Solent with my stepfather. Then I realised that the only reason I was brought along was to make sure he and his mate got back to the boat at night after they had been drinking.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I used to sail a 28ft, long ago (UK).

I have my kayak here but that is as much as I would want to do these days.

River is in my back yard, so that's kinda cool.
What River is that? Any flood danger being so close? I lived many years very near the Ohio River, floods every year but had water in our house only once while living there.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 9:16 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
What River is that? Any flood danger being so close? I lived many years very near the Ohio River, floods every year but had water in our house only once while living there.
The Connecticut river. The bottom half of the yard floods seasonally, but there is a considerable difference in elevation from there to the house so no possibility of it becoming a problem for us.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

I have a boat. A Grady White Overnighter. In summer I use it all the time. I have very easy access to the Norwalk Islands. I had no intention of ever owning a boat until I moved here.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:47 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
The Connecticut river. The bottom half of the yard floods seasonally, but there is a considerable difference in elevation from there to the house so no possibility of it becoming a problem for us.
The Connecticut is a brilliant river! Huge too! Doesn't it originate in Quebec? And flows through many/most New England states....

I have a relative living north of Saybrook & we love to visit in nice weather & see all the boats.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 1:26 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The social order here seems to dictate that liberal democrat voters have manual powered boats while rural republican voters have powered boats. At state park camping sites, on lakes the atmosphere is very different when the boaters are about. The boaters tend to be louder and more out going while the camp sites dwellers in the hills are quiet and keep themselves to themselves.
We have cheap inflatable kayaks, which I have to say, are great for what we want to use them for (calm lake travel of a few miles) We also have a canoe, but it doesnt get any use as the inflatables are so much more convenient.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue
The Connecticut is a brilliant river! Huge too! Doesn't it originate in Quebec? And flows through many/most New England states....

I have a relative living north of Saybrook & we love to visit in nice weather & see all the boats.
Yeah.. it's lovely. Quiet too. I rarely see anyone else out there.

Old Jan 17th 2017, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Just_Joy is an unknown quantity at this point

Many refer to a boat as as somewhere the owner throws his/her money into the water
Been there done that thrown a lot of money into that hole in the water, 28 ft center console for ocean fishing ........... finally got rid of the boat and the husband!!
Old Jan 17th 2017, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Just_Joy
Been there done that thrown a lot of money into that hole in the water, 28 ft center console for ocean fishing ........... finally got rid of the boat and the husband!!
28ft center console is a lot of boat and an awful lot of money!! We've had a couple of 18ft dual consoles in the seven years that we've been here. Enjoyed pottering about in Charleston harbor and the intracoastal, but I think we might sell this year. We just don't use it enough to justify it.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 3:53 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

The happiest days in the life of a boat owner are the day that it arrives and the day that it is sold.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
The happiest days in the life of a boat owner are the day that it arrives and the day that it is sold.
Wish I had a quid for every time I've heard that! We still continue to throw money at boating though. We had a 28ft cabin cruiser in England that really only got used as an apartment, so we could eat and drink as much as we wanted in the marina bars!
Old Jan 17th 2017, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Just_Joy is an unknown quantity at this point

28ft center console is a lot of boat and an awful lot of money
It was used when we bought it, I believe the previous owners knew it was going to need work and that's why they got rid of it. Outboard motor mechanics are specialized so they can charge top dollar. It was fun though when it was running ...... just as long as you didn't think about how much fuel it was sucking up.
It may have been 26' it's been about 20 years ago. It was a Mako.
The happiest days in the life of a boat owner are the day that it arrives and the day that it is sold

Last edited by Just_Joy; Jan 17th 2017 at 4:22 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Just_Joy
It was used when we bought it, I believe the previous owners knew it was going to need work and that's why they got rid of it. Outboard motor mechanics are specialized so they can charge top dollar. It was fun though when it was running ...... just as long as you didn't think about how much fuel it was sucking up.
It may have been 26' it's been about 20 years ago. It was a Mako.

The company I work for bought a brand new 27ft Scout center console and hired a full time captain to ferry the club members about. I think the boat cost around $180,000 That was on top of the captains wages that they pay now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.