British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   So, who has a boat and do you use it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/so-who-has-boat-do-you-use-890024/)

Beaverstate Jan 13th 2017 10:01 am

So, who has a boat and do you use it?

Many refer to a boat as as somewhere the owner throws his/her money into the water. Anyone except Petitefrancaise have a craft.

livinginnyc Jan 13th 2017 2:19 pm

Re: So, who has a boat and do you use it?

Back in the UK, I have two canoes.
(river is nearby to my parents house), one is a closed top single seater and the other is an Indian style 3 seater with an ice box for booze :sneaky:

My dad has a 'proper' boat, but it hasn't seen much action lately (in fact I'm not even sure it's been in the water for a few years).

Nutmegger Jan 13th 2017 2:25 pm

OH #1 had a sailboat (which he and a friend managed to sink in a lake -- it was retrieved via a crazy Rube Goldberg salvage operation) and I used to have a canoe. I think that, the last ten years I had it, it never saw the water . . . ;)

loubiblu Jan 13th 2017 2:49 pm

We left our 3 kayaks in the UK. I've hired one here on the Chicago River and may buy later in the year.

As a child we had boats - small power boat, a sailing dinghy and a catamaran. They were all sold when my parents moved back from South America. I kind of miss sailing, but probably don't remember any of the techniques!

petitefrancaise Jan 13th 2017 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 12150749)
Many refer to a boat as as somewhere the owner throws his/her money into the water. Anyone except Petitefrancaise have a craft.

eh?
you're right though, everyone refers to the rowing boat as well, a "boat" or a "double" "eight" "single" but as a group they are boats. I fell in just before christmas and have lost my nerve somewhat so I'm back in the baby boat until I feel ok again. Tim, if you're reading this, your mad friend gets out there every day,even when it's sub-zero!! It's usually just his name and one other on the sign-out sheet.

newadventure Jan 13th 2017 4:17 pm

We bought an old Hunter (Cherubini) sailboat 6 months after we moved out. 1983, 33' (cost less than our 2006 Toyota Highlander). Have had great fun sailing it in Charleston harbour and sleeping on it in the marina for electronic-free family nights. I had done a little bit of sailing back in the UK but we did a family liveaboard ASA 101-104 course for our first summer holiday. So far have 'calibrated the depth sounder' a couple of times and had one tow back to the marina. Still get a kick from sighting dolphins along side when we sail.

I have also started building an Annapolis Tandem Wherry in the garage. Bought as a kit last Sep and slowly starting to take shape. Hoping we'll be able to row it down the creek to the nearest bar, go on family picnics, teach the kids to row and try to stay in shape myself. Having come from a town in the UK almost as far from the sea as poss, we are making the most of the water here in Charleston, SC.

@PetiteFrancaise - impressed you are taking up rowing/sculling. Stick with it, you can't beat being out on the water (as long as you stay upright!). Are you on a river/lake/coastal?

tom169 Jan 13th 2017 4:49 pm

A peeve of mine is reading people on Facebook say they want to move to Florida and own a boat. :mad:

Hired a boat once in England. It was fun for a few hours sailing down a river.

Don't think i'll ever own my own - I have no ambition or intent to do so.

Pulaski Jan 13th 2017 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12151123)
.... Don't think i'll ever own my own - I have no ambition or intent to do so.

:goodpost:

Me?

No.

N/A

My FIL has a boat, but from what I here, it doesn't touch the water more than once a year. :lol: He has a fishing buddy who has a nicer, larger boat that they go out on fairly frequently.

Nutek Jan 13th 2017 6:25 pm

I used to sail a 28ft, long ago (UK).

I have my kayak here but that is as much as I would want to do these days.

River is in my back yard, so that's kinda cool. :)

chawkins99 Jan 13th 2017 6:47 pm

We've had two since we came to the US.

First was a Seadoo 18 foot jet boat. Awesome fun and FAST. It had a 40 gallon fuel tank that it could suck dry in half a day. We sold it when gas hit $4 a gallon following Katrina.

We bought another a couple of years later. This time an 18 foot runabout with inboard/outboard.

We would usually take them to the lake a couple of times a month in the summer.

My wife's arthritic knees put an end to our adventures and we sold that one last year.

Certainly true about the hole in the water you pour money into but they are fun.

WEBlue Jan 13th 2017 7:03 pm

The husband has been attracted to boats all his life, both in the USA & the UK. He got very close to buying a small sailboat when a neighbor offered a good deal on hers, but in the end we opted for one kayak each. Much more my speed.... The husband has fallen in once (overconfidence), cautious me--never.

Pulaski Jan 13th 2017 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 12151189)
.... I have my kayak here but that is as much as I would want to do these days.

River is in my back yard, so that's kinda cool. .....

It must be a very short river, or you have an exceptionally large back yard. :lol:

Nutek Jan 13th 2017 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12151222)
It must be a very short river, or you have an exceptionally large back yard. :lol:

Our yard "ends" some 20 feet into the water (varies on time of year).

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-HqXDWTH-M.jpg

Pulaski Jan 13th 2017 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 12151274)
Our yard "ends" some 20 feet into the water (varies on time of year). .....

So part of the river is in your back yard. :lol: .... And very nice it looks too. :nod:

I have the solar system "in" my back yard. :sneaky:

rbackhouse Jan 13th 2017 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12151289)
I have the solar system "in" my back yard. :sneaky:

Can you see Uranus ?