Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

so, how does your FB data get used?

so, how does your FB data get used?

Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:34 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so, how does your FB data get used?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/t...s.html?mcubz=0

I find the FB spin of the story to be highly misleading.

The headlines really ought to be "FB receives money to distort US election"

I know that in recent months, FB have ramped up the number of employees to check over ad content. They are still heavily recruiting in that area. It seems that over-reliance on tech to decide on ad content is not such a good idea after all and that it needs a human eye to make decisions.

Since FB receives almost all of it's revenue from advertising, I fail to understand how they still maintain their "we're a technology platform" stance.

And this wide-eyed naiivete after the fact is beyond belief. Where is the oversight for this massive media outlet/tech company? Will institutional investors pull their money from a company clearly unable to police their own ad? Can't see the WSJ/FT or others getting off so lightly on this can you?

But never mind, we all know that Mr Z has another baby now. How sweet.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 10:58 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/t...s.html?mcubz=0

I find the FB spin of the story to be highly misleading.

The headlines really ought to be "FB receives money to distort US election"

I know that in recent months, FB have ramped up the number of employees to check over ad content. They are still heavily recruiting in that area. It seems that over-reliance on tech to decide on ad content is not such a good idea after all and that it needs a human eye to make decisions.

Since FB receives almost all of it's revenue from advertising, I fail to understand how they still maintain their "we're a technology platform" stance.

And this wide-eyed naiivete after the fact is beyond belief. Where is the oversight for this massive media outlet/tech company? Will institutional investors pull their money from a company clearly unable to police their own ad? Can't see the WSJ/FT or others getting off so lightly on this can you?

But never mind, we all know that Mr Z has another baby now. How sweet.
Completely agree. Facebook has yet to be held accountable. I hope this hurts them in a way that makes them change the culture. Meaning, financially. I also hope that people will start to realize that Facebook is not their friend and they're being exploited. Hard to know at this point as some people are so addicted to Facebook they really aren't interested.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Completely agree. Facebook has yet to be held accountable. I hope this hurts them in a way that makes them change the culture. Meaning, financially. I also hope that people will start to realize that Facebook is not their friend and they're being exploited. Hard to know at this point as some people are so addicted to Facebook they really aren't interested.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

I went to my first ball game last night (Cardinals vs Pirates) and this morning I checked my facebook for the first time in a month or so. I have ads all over for Cardinal tickets etc now and I posted nothing about being at the game! FACEBOOK KNOWS
Old Sep 9th 2017, 1:59 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Op-ed in NY Times
Glad to see a newspaper picking it up.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/opinion/facebook-wins-democracy-loses.html
Old Sep 9th 2017, 4:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
I went to my first ball game last night (Cardinals vs Pirates) and this morning I checked my facebook for the first time in a month or so. I have ads all over for Cardinal tickets etc now and I posted nothing about being at the game! FACEBOOK KNOWS
It's linked to your GPS location. I have recently started regularly get invitations from Google to review a business or restaurant that I have visited, and I have never posted anything about visiting the local grocery, DIY store, or whatever restaurant I have been to.

It is purely GPS data, and I would assume that Farcebook's app has similar link to your phone's GPS locator. You should be able to block/disable each app's link to your GPS locator. For something like Facebook I think it would make sense to block the link to your phone's GPS, but doing so for Google Maps would negate much of the functionality of Google Maps.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 4:32 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's linked to your GPS location. I have recently started regularly get invitations from Google to review a business or restaurant that I have visited, and I have never posted anything about visiting the local grocery, DIY store, or whatever restaurant I have been to.

It is purely GPS data, and I would assume that Farcebook's app has similar link to your phone's GPS locator. You should be able to block/disable each app's link to your GPS locator. For something like Facebook I think it would make sense to block the link to your phone's GPS, but doing so for Google Maps would negate much of the functionality of Google Maps.
Honest to god!! Just take fb off your phone. Do you seriously need to know that little johnny has started school whilst you're out and about? Do you really need to tell the world that you are at a game?
I've still got messenger on my phone but fb went a long time ago.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 4:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Honest to god!! Just take fb off your phone. Do you seriously need to know that little johnny has started school whilst you're out and about? Do you really need to tell the world that you are at a game?
I don't "have Facebook on my phone"! ...... Not sure if you meant to quote me, or Maste?

But yes, removing the Farcebook app should solve Maste's concerns.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 4:38 pm
Austin. TX.

I don't "have Facebook on my phone"! ...... Not sure if you meant to quote me, or Maste?
Actually both... A response to your " work around" and to maste's post.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
Would you mind telling us how you bought your tickets? That could give us a clue as to how they know.

Are you saying google is asking you to review businesses, NOT the result of a 'directions' request? That is - you are simply 'at that location' and haven't used Google Maps to get there? I haven't noticed that myself. So you are saying they are inferring perhaps 'attendance at a game' by your location and duration at that location?

But yes, removing the Farcebook app should solve Maste's concerns.
I am sure some FB addicts just can't live without it on their phone. I added it once for some reason but got sick of how intrusive it was, and also it ran my battery down, so it's long gone from my phone. But I know many people use their phone as their main 'internet' device these days ... you can tell that many people use their phones to post on BE even (judging, at least, by the terrible typos that are becoming more prevalent by the day). I think that if you are into posting photos on FB, it's actually easiest to do so directly from the phone, sadly.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 3:49 pm
Austin. TX.

Anyone with slightly older teens/early twenties?

have you noticed that they don't use FB anymore? Snapchat and group messenger and in my family's case, whatsapp for communicating.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
.... Are you saying google is asking you to review businesses, NOT the result of a 'directions' request? That is - you are simply 'at that location' and haven't used Google Maps to get there? .....
Yes, beyond a shadow of a doubt. Just yesterday, a few minutes after arriving at a restaurant Google Maps contacted me asking me to review the restaurant. I had not used Google Maps to get directions, nor even consulted Google Maps, or any other mapping app, software, or web site, to review routes and road conditions. I can't see any other way that the message was generated other than by a connection to the GPS locator in my phone.

Ditto visits to the grocery, and it doesn't happen after every visit, just a few.

ETA thinking about it, it is an least theoretically possible that Google Maps is reviewing IM's with Mrs P as I did discuss restaurants with her, and I may have discussed stopping at the grocery with her by IM before beimg solicited for a review. .... BUT in texts I wouldn't use the full name of the grocery, I reduce the grocery name to its initials, so I think the link to texts is a stretch.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 10th 2017 at 4:09 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

At least my pixel continuously monitors where I am and asks for reviews, even in instances where Google maps wasn't used or I only spoke verbally about plans - usually lunch with coworkers.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Now that would make sense, if it's due to my GPS. I did spend the whole game there and took one or two pics, so maybe even the geotagging software that's usually automatic on photos picked up on the fact I was at the game!

I use it as a means to check up on family and friends back home now and again. Only reason I have the app! I don't post anything on there, so I don't know where the telling the world I was at a game came from?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Would you mind telling us how you bought your tickets? That could give us a clue as to how they know.
I bought my tickets face to face from my school, as they were discounted student ones. The only thing I can think of that gave it away, was my photos have probably been geotagged? Anyway, it was intriguing and surprising to see those ads just like that the next day after the game, despite no posts, check ins, etc!
Old Sep 11th 2017, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, beyond a shadow of a doubt. Just yesterday, a few minutes after arriving at a restaurant Google Maps contacted me asking me to review the restaurant. I had not used Google Maps to get directions, nor even consulted Google Maps, or any other mapping app, software, or web site, to review routes and road conditions. I can't see any other way that the message was generated other than by a connection to the GPS locator in my phone.

Ditto visits to the grocery, and it doesn't happen after every visit, just a few.

ETA thinking about it, it is an least theoretically possible that Google Maps is reviewing IM's with Mrs P as I did discuss restaurants with her, and I may have discussed stopping at the grocery with her by IM before beimg solicited for a review. .... BUT in texts I wouldn't use the full name of the grocery, I reduce the grocery name to its initials, so I think the link to texts is a stretch.
Being pedantic here, are you talking about some IM tool or text messaging? I realize the line is blurring now between them but to me, 'texts' implies SMS while 'IM' implies an IM app such as Trillian, Viber, Skype messaging, etc.

I would expect SMS to be pretty isolated, but IM to be heavily mined and abused for data. But I know that Apple 'enhance' SMS when source and destination are both Apple users, and Verizon are now 'enhancing' SMS in various ways between Verizon users.

Originally Posted by tom169
At least my pixel continuously monitors where I am and asks for reviews, even in instances where Google maps wasn't used or I only spoke verbally about plans - usually lunch with coworkers.
Come to think of it, on my Android phone I am slowly but surely getting sucked into more and more Google services / features. I have 'signed in' to some google services on the phone, so that bookmarks and links from my desktop can be shared with the phone, etc. I can imagine that, as long as I'm 'signed in' on the phone, all manner of activities are being monitored. I'm quite curious to figure this one out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.