Wikiposts

Skunk problem

Old Jul 4th 2016, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skunk problem

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I'm all for not killing but when certain animals, calling them vermin or not, get into your home then something needs to be done.

Cute they may be be they also carry diseases and eating food that mice, rats squirrels etc may have got into is a big no no in my opinion
Oh we threw away what they had been into. I mean we kept all our food like pasta, rice, cereal etc in metal, glass or ceramic containers from then on, unless it was in the fridge. They can easily chew through plastic so you have to defer them. As long as they can get an easy meal they will keep coming. If there's nothing to get then they don't find any point in coming in. I am pretty sure that they could still get in if they wanted, as the kitchen units were put in badly and there are gaps at the back. To block the gaps would necessitate ripping out the whole kitchen. And traps etc wouldn't be effective because some mice always survive and they can have 12 babies a month. The most effective way to get rid of them is the give them no reason to come.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 9:56 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
How many cute puppies, kittens, birds and other animals will be put down tomorrow in animal shelters all over the country?

What are you going to do to stop it, Have you adopted an animal from a shelter and saved it's life ? The dog I now have was from a shelter. It being a wolf by nature is territorial. It came upon a couple of skunks which had been leaving a stink near my patio for some time and which I couldn't get rid of. The dog went for the skunks, got badly sprayed and killed them both but the dog went through quite a bit of misery afterwards and cost me a couple of visits to the vet.

There nothing wrong and everything right in being kind and considerate to wild life but there are limits. Saying "lets just gas em all" just kills any further intelligent conversation on the subject
You don't really do sarcasm, do you

And yes, I have a rescued orange cat from the local shelter although I don't really see what that has to do with it. It's just about how you choose to view other animals - through the lens of what is more or less work for you. The same goes for factory farming vs humane methods. You will notice that I'm not a vegetarian, but the slaughter of things we don't even need for food, or simple cruelty, is never a good thing. There are plenty of suburban skunks where I live, and sometimes you smell them. They have to smell us all the time poor things.

And no, I know you didn't gas any personally, but when such things are passed on as recommended procedures the assumption is you don't disapprove.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jul 4th 2016 at 10:06 am.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 11:08 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Although rare skunks can carry rabies. Among their food items are lizards which are a protected species in my yard since garden lizards eat plant eating insects and mosquitos.

I hear a raccoon scampering across my roof at night occasionally. I once went out with a flashlight and saw him sitting on the wall staring at me as if to say "what the hell do you want"? I'd always let that critter be unless he took it into his head to move into my attic space in which case I'd call our local animal control to deal with it as they see fit.

I live near enough to the mountains for occasional nocturnal visits by coyotes. Leave your cat or dog outside at night and chances are you've seen the last of them.

Mountain lions have also been spotted on rare occasions by hikers on the mountain trails.

We're surrounded by wild life. I enjoy the environment but wild life stinking up my back yard is a problem that needs dealing with

Last edited by dc koop; Jul 4th 2016 at 11:12 am.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 11:15 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You don't really do sarcasm, do you

And yes, I have a rescued orange cat from the local shelter although I don't really see what that has to do with it. It's just about how you choose to view other animals - through the lens of what is more or less work for you. The same goes for factory farming vs humane methods. You will notice that I'm not a vegetarian, but the slaughter of things we don't even need for food, or simple cruelty, is never a good thing. There are plenty of suburban skunks where I live, and sometimes you smell them. They have to smell us all the time poor things.

And no, I know you didn't gas any personally, but when such things are passed on as recommended procedures the assumption is you don't disapprove.
In light of your opinion how would you for example deal with gophers ?
Old Jul 4th 2016, 1:01 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

In light of your opinion how would you for example deal with gophers ?
I've never "dealt" with them. If you live somewhere with gophers you are going to get holes. Nor did I ever "deal with" moles, badgers, rabbits or hedgehogs in tbe UK. I actually like sharing with other species, I find them interesting to watch.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My pup likes digging for gophers, he is quite a good digger. The rest move away. Or flood them out.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Boiler
My pup likes digging for gophers, he is quite a good digger. The rest move away. Or flood them out.
How much water would it take to flood them out ? We've got a drought going on here.

Last edited by dc koop; Jul 4th 2016 at 4:42 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I've never "dealt" with them. If you live somewhere with gophers you are going to get holes. Nor did I ever "deal with" moles, badgers, rabbits or hedgehogs in tbe UK. I actually like sharing with other species, I find them interesting to watch.
Oh yes you get holes with gophers and a badly sprained or twisted ankle if you accidently stick your foot in one
Old Jul 5th 2016, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

My cat has given up catching moles and now my yard looks a mess. How can I entice my cat to start catching moles again? The last one he brought into the house I threw out in the yard, do you think I hurt his feelings?
Old Jul 6th 2016, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

How much water would it take to flood them out ? We've got a drought going on here.
A few pints can do it.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 5:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Boiler
A few pints can do it.
The last time I had gophers in the yard I bought a can of gopher mix at the hardware store. That did the trick. Now I dare say i'll be pilloried for being a gopher killer