Skunk problem

Old Jun 30th 2016, 11:20 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skunk problem

We have skunks around the property & would appreciate help from those that have tried & proven success with 'known' solutions of how to get rid of them?

Other than paying for a wildlife removal service,

I've already done the google, suggestions are Mothballs & leaving or putting strong lights on in areas & around the house

Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2016, 11:50 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skunk problem

Originally Posted by not2old
We have skunks around the property & would appreciate help from those that have tried & proven success with 'known' solutions of how to get rid of them?

Other than paying for a wildlife removal service,

I've already done the google, suggestions are Mothballs & leaving or putting strong lights on in areas & around the house

Thanks
Fox pee.

Seriously.

Sold in the hunting section of big-box sports shops.

Wear gloves.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

We have had good results with live traps and releasing them a good distance away.
The trick is to throw a cloth over the trap when you pick it up .
I was told by a local that skunks have a homing instinct and will travel back so release them at least 5 miles away.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

In our area (CA, East Bay) there is some local county authority that will come out and set traps and do the removal for free. However, I was told they would kill the animals so I wasn't comfortable with that.

I've been in the house for 21 years now, and we have a variety of critters visiting us / living under our deck, including raccoons, skunks, and even a family of foxes one year. Deer also congregate, and recently we've seen a family of wild Turkeys hanging around. Not once have we had any 'incidents' with the skunks ... although we don't have cats/dogs, and that may be a difference for you.

Skunks are very cool animals and I enjoy seeing them around. Raccoons are also super smart and can get into just about anything. I have learned to really appreciate all this wildlife, and feel that introducing a pet (cat/dog) into the mix would be asking for trouble.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen our skunk since the racoons moved in. I know the racoons killed the possum because I found the skeleton. So I'm not sure if getting rid of skunks would allow other vermin to move in. I think the facts that we have cats keeps a lot away from the house.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
..... I think the facts that we have cats keeps a lot away from the house.
This. Get yourself an "outdoor" cat or two, from the local shelter. We call it "applied ecology". ...... It also works for snakes - because the cats remove or discourage the potential snake food.
Originally Posted by Steerpike
In our area (CA, East Bay) there is some local county authority that will come out and set traps and do the removal for free. However, I was told they would kill the animals so I wasn't comfortable with that. ...
Under CA law animal/pest services are not allowed to move live animals to a different location. I suspect that many/most states have a similar law. .... If you get your own traps you can, of course, just ignore the law. That said, I would be very wary about moving skunks even in the open bed of my truck - the stink of skunk spray is unbelievable.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 30th 2016 at 4:54 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
- the stink of skunk spray is unbelievable.
Cannabis aroma will help mask the skunk smell.

I hate driving over skunks on the road, the smell carries for miles
Old Jun 30th 2016, 4:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Cannabis aroma will help mask the skunk smell. ....
That might help in the PNW, but smelling of weed creates other problems in my neck of the woods.
.... I hate driving over skunks on the road, the smell carries for miles
I hear tomato pulp is good for removing / neutralizing the smell.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I hear tomato pulp is good for removing / neutralizing the smell.
I have heard tomato juice is good. My wife said they had to bathe their dog in tomato juice when he tried playing with a skunk.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Cannabis aroma will help mask the skunk smell.

I hate driving over skunks on the road, the smell carries for miles
Don't know how I did it, but I somehow learned to enjoy the skunk smell! I wouldn't want it on my clothing, but driving past a dead skunk on the road is now a positive experience . It's all in the mind ...
Old Jun 30th 2016, 5:07 pm

Don't know how I did it, but I somehow learned to enjoy the skunk smell! ....
Some cannabis smells very similar to skunk spray - there is a reason that cannabis is sometimes known as "skunk". .... A studenty-looking youth has got on the bus I ride two or three times, and the stench about him is unreal!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 30th 2016 at 5:10 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some cannabis smells very similar to skunk spray - there is a reason that cannabis is sometimes known as "skunk". .... A studenty-looking youth has got on the bus I ride two or three times, and the stench about him is unreal!
I hope you didn't spray him with essence of tomato
Old Jun 30th 2016, 5:23 pm

I hope you didn't spray him with essence of tomato
I wasn't carrying a bucket of tomato juice and pulp that day, .... though I wish I had been.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 10:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how I did it, but I somehow learned to enjoy the skunk smell! I wouldn't want it on my clothing, but driving past a dead skunk on the road is now a positive experience . It's all in the mind ...
Me too.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 10:23 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried spraying around the property with pepper spray? Easily made at home - spray it on bushes etc. around the boundary.

How to Get Rid of Animal Pests With Hot Pepper Spray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.