Sentenced Home

Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sentenced Home

I recently watched a program where 3 Cambodian refugees who came over as babies were deported for committing crimes in the US.
These weren't hard core criminals and one had a wife and two children. Does anyone know of cases of British immigrants in a similar situation.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:01 pm

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all
Default Re: Sentenced Home

Originally Posted by surly
I recently watched a program where 3 Cambodian refugees who came over as babies were deported for committing crimes in the US.
These weren't hard core criminals and one had a wife and two children. Does anyone know of cases of British immigrants in a similar situation.
What were they convicted of?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by special ed
What were they convicted of?
Here's a link to their story.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/sentencedhome/
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:09 pm

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all

seems a bit harsh I admit although it reinforces why you need to keep squeaky clean when you're a LPR (carrying a firearm might be a bad idea for example)
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:13 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see both sides of this before calling it harsh. Whilst this movie could make them out to be victims of the immigration policy, there maybe more to the story.

Anyone can make a documentary to say what they want. Michael Moore is very good at it.

But at the end of the day, the rules are clear and we all have to follow them when moving here. Why should anyone else be different?

For now, I don't really pity them until I get both sides.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rincewind
I'd like to see both sides of this before calling it harsh. Whilst this movie could make them out to be victims of the immigration policy, there maybe more to the story.

Anyone can make a documentary to say what they want. Michael Moore is very good at it.

But at the end of the day, the rules are clear and we all have to follow them when moving here. Why should anyone else be different?

For now, I don't really pity them until I get both sides.
Because there are rules it doesn't make it right. If they had become US citizens they would not be deported. This type of thing is bought about by the current anti-immigrant hysteria.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:26 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Because there are rules it doesn't make it right.
Now there's a slippery slope.

My opinion remains unchanged.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

If they had become US citizens they would not be deported......
If they had not been involved in crime they would not have been deported

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime

Deportation from Britain.............don't be daft
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mally Lass

I was thinking more of had anyone heard of British immigrants that had come over to the US as babies or young children and had been deported under similar circumstances.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:39 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Now there's a slippery slope.

My opinion remains unchanged.
I wonder if they would have been convicted had they been the children of high income white brits and had made a mistake as teenagers - I am sure many do. That said a crime is a crime but I still think they should be punished as another american would be i.e. prison or whatever. It is inhuman to send them back to a third world country they have no experience of whatsoever. I am of course firm on the slippery slope with this one. Imagine being deported from say England, to say, Wales if you had been in England all your life!!!! Terribe
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:42 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mally Lass

Kind of my point. They should have to do the time, no doubt, but not be deported thousands of miles from friends and family when they could be dealt with here in the american courts. Deprotation isn't 'doing the time'. It is something much much worse in everyway - talk about cruel and unusual punishment.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Kind of my point. They should have to do the time, no doubt, but not be deported thousands of miles from friends and family when they could be dealt with here in the american courts. Deprotation isn't 'doing the time'. It is something much much worse in everyway - talk about cruel and unusual punishment.
The current climate of anti-immigrant hysteria seems to be fueling this. Apparently this now falls under the "Department of Homeland Security" sinister implications with all that entails.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:54 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

There are good people being turned away at the door, why keep those who break the law? That's kind of a general thought, I only read one of the stories in the show. In that story, a man was deported for an incident where he fired a gun in the air to repel a "gang attack". His mistake was not shooting the gang members, as long as the gun was legal self defense is not a crime.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Jul 16th 2007 at 11:57 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:56 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
I wonder if they would have been convicted had they been the children of high income white brits and had made a mistake as teenagers - I am sure many do. That said a crime is a crime but I still think they should be punished as another american would be i.e. prison or whatever. It is inhuman to send them back to a third world country they have no experience of whatsoever. I am of course firm on the slippery slope with this one. Imagine being deported from say England, to say, Wales if you had been in England all your life!!!! Terribe
Wales...all that singing and coal....
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
There are good people being turned away at the door, why keep those who break the law? That's kind of a general thought, I only read one of the stories in the show. In that story, a man was deported for an incident where he fired a gun in the air to repel a "gang attack". His mistake was not shooting the gang members, as long as the gun was legal self defense is not a crime.
What was he doing with a gun in the first place ? If you are an immigrant of any Country, you should try to prove you are worthy of being in that Country..............don't think that includes possession of a firearm

I agree good people are being turned away, so out with the old and in with the new

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.