British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Sentenced Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/sentenced-home-466689/)

surly Jul 16th 2007 10:45 pm

Sentenced Home

I recently watched a program where 3 Cambodian refugees who came over as babies were deported for committing crimes in the US.
These weren't hard core criminals and one had a wife and two children. Does anyone know of cases of British immigrants in a similar situation.

special ed Jul 16th 2007 11:01 pm

Re: Sentenced Home

Originally Posted by surly (Post 5064386)
I recently watched a program where 3 Cambodian refugees who came over as babies were deported for committing crimes in the US.
These weren't hard core criminals and one had a wife and two children. Does anyone know of cases of British immigrants in a similar situation.

What were they convicted of?

surly Jul 16th 2007 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by special ed (Post 5064465)
What were they convicted of?

Here's a link to their story.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/sentencedhome/

special ed Jul 16th 2007 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by surly (Post 5064500)

seems a bit harsh I admit although it reinforces why you need to keep squeaky clean when you're a LPR (carrying a firearm might be a bad idea for example)

rincewind Jul 16th 2007 11:13 pm

I'd like to see both sides of this before calling it harsh. Whilst this movie could make them out to be victims of the immigration policy, there maybe more to the story.

Anyone can make a documentary to say what they want. Michael Moore is very good at it.

But at the end of the day, the rules are clear and we all have to follow them when moving here. Why should anyone else be different?

For now, I don't really pity them until I get both sides.

surly Jul 16th 2007 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind (Post 5064523)
I'd like to see both sides of this before calling it harsh. Whilst this movie could make them out to be victims of the immigration policy, there maybe more to the story.

Anyone can make a documentary to say what they want. Michael Moore is very good at it.

But at the end of the day, the rules are clear and we all have to follow them when moving here. Why should anyone else be different?

For now, I don't really pity them until I get both sides.

Because there are rules it doesn't make it right. If they had become US citizens they would not be deported. This type of thing is bought about by the current anti-immigrant hysteria.

rincewind Jul 16th 2007 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by surly (Post 5064550)
Because there are rules it doesn't make it right.

Now there's a slippery slope.

My opinion remains unchanged.

Mally Lass Jul 16th 2007 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by surly (Post 5064550)
If they had become US citizens they would not be deported......

If they had not been involved in crime they would not have been deported ;)

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime :)

Deportation from Britain.............don't be daft :eek:

surly Jul 16th 2007 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mally Lass (Post 5064583)

I was thinking more of had anyone heard of British immigrants that had come over to the US as babies or young children and had been deported under similar circumstances.

Silly Sod Jul 16th 2007 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind (Post 5064570)
Now there's a slippery slope.

My opinion remains unchanged.

I wonder if they would have been convicted had they been the children of high income white brits and had made a mistake as teenagers - I am sure many do. That said a crime is a crime but I still think they should be punished as another american would be i.e. prison or whatever. It is inhuman to send them back to a third world country they have no experience of whatsoever. I am of course firm on the slippery slope with this one. Imagine being deported from say England, to say, Wales if you had been in England all your life!!!! Terribe :) :)

Silly Sod Jul 16th 2007 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mally Lass (Post 5064583)

Kind of my point. They should have to do the time, no doubt, but not be deported thousands of miles from friends and family when they could be dealt with here in the american courts. Deprotation isn't 'doing the time'. It is something much much worse in everyway - talk about cruel and unusual punishment.

surly Jul 16th 2007 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 5064622)
Kind of my point. They should have to do the time, no doubt, but not be deported thousands of miles from friends and family when they could be dealt with here in the american courts. Deprotation isn't 'doing the time'. It is something much much worse in everyway - talk about cruel and unusual punishment.

The current climate of anti-immigrant hysteria seems to be fueling this. Apparently this now falls under the "Department of Homeland Security" sinister implications with all that entails.

another bloody yank Jul 16th 2007 11:54 pm

There are good people being turned away at the door, why keep those who break the law? That's kind of a general thought, I only read one of the stories in the show. In that story, a man was deported for an incident where he fired a gun in the air to repel a "gang attack". His mistake was not shooting the gang members, as long as the gun was legal self defense is not a crime.

krizzy Jul 16th 2007 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 5064614)
I wonder if they would have been convicted had they been the children of high income white brits and had made a mistake as teenagers - I am sure many do. That said a crime is a crime but I still think they should be punished as another american would be i.e. prison or whatever. It is inhuman to send them back to a third world country they have no experience of whatsoever. I am of course firm on the slippery slope with this one. Imagine being deported from say England, to say, Wales if you had been in England all your life!!!! Terribe :) :)

Wales...all that singing and coal....:eek:

Mally Lass Jul 17th 2007 12:02 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5064654)
There are good people being turned away at the door, why keep those who break the law? That's kind of a general thought, I only read one of the stories in the show. In that story, a man was deported for an incident where he fired a gun in the air to repel a "gang attack". His mistake was not shooting the gang members, as long as the gun was legal self defense is not a crime.

What was he doing with a gun in the first place ? :blink: If you are an immigrant of any Country, you should try to prove you are worthy of being in that Country..............don't think that includes possession of a firearm ;)

I agree good people are being turned away, so out with the old and in with the new :D