British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Sentenced Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/sentenced-home-466689/)

Silly Sod Jul 16th 2007 12:52 pm

Re: Sentenced Home

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5064779)
Ain't that the truth

The scary thing is, and that people don't want to take onboard, is that they are now deprting people who are here quite legally for minor infractions. If that isn't the thin end of the wedge getting thicker all the time I don't know what is!!!

Mally Lass Jul 16th 2007 12:56 pm

Ok, SS, I get you :D. It is a bit harsh yeah. I think if he was aware of the consequences (which I believe at some point he would have been) then he only has himself to blame. If for some reason, he was never made aware, then he should have had some sort of warning and charged as a US citizen.

However, I don't make excuses for upbringing or living conditions in a westernised country, sorry ! Not everyone living in those circumstances turns to crime......that's being stereotypical

:D

Rete Jul 16th 2007 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by surly (Post 5064550)
Because there are rules it doesn't make it right. If they had become US citizens they would not be deported. This type of thing is bought about by the current anti-immigrant hysteria.

Not at all. That is just your opinion. It has been that way for decades. If your are a LPR and commit a crime of moral turpitude then the regulation is that you are deportable. If you are a resident of the UK and commit a crime of moral turpitude are you allowed to remain? Seems only fair to me.

Sally Jul 16th 2007 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 5064801)
Not at all. That is just your opinion. It has been that way for decades. If your are a LPR and commit a crime of moral turpitude then the regulation is that you are deportable. If you are a resident of the UK and commit a crime of moral turpitude are you allowed to remain? Seems only fair to me.

1996 according to the link. Firing a gun in the air according to the link, but true we don't have the full facts before us.

Rete Jul 16th 2007 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mally Lass (Post 5064726)
But as he wasn't a Citizen, I'm sure there were varying times in his life when he had to fill out forms for one thing or another, and he would have undoubtedly been told at some point. He couldn't have been invisible all his life.

I keep telling people, crime doesn't pay :)

Anyway, whether or not he knew the consequences...................if he was a law abiding citizen, he wouldn't be in the position he's in now !!

Add to that if he at any time voiced or written that he was a USC that in and of itself is reason for deportation, i.e. for employment, for voting rights.

Silly Sod Jul 16th 2007 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mally Lass (Post 5064791)
Ok, SS, I get you :D. It is a bit harsh yeah. I think if he was aware of the consequences (which I believe at some point he would have been) then he only has himself to blame. If for some reason, he was never made aware, then he should have had some sort of warning and charged as a US citizen.

However, I don't make excuses for upbringing or living conditions in a westernised country, sorry ! Not everyone living in those circumstances turns to crime......that's being stereotypical

:D

Couple of points to reply to Mally. With respect because I am merely debating here and not wishing to argue for the sake of it (you know I love a good debate). :)

Firstly I think these type of consequences have only been in effect since very recently, at least since Homeland security started to take a hand in things they were never intended to have a hand in. I am sure this type of thing never happened until recently.

Secondly I don't agree with your assertian that upbringing and living conditions are not a factor in crime or criminal behaviour. This is not a stereotype, it is a fact. You can see this by researching the crime rates in different neighbourhoods in america or any other western country. Look at a very rich area compared to say - the wrong side of 8 mile road in Detroit. Surely you are not suggesting that these are high crime areas because people are just basically evil and pre-disposed to crime? That would be stereotypical and i'm sure is a view subscribed to by american skinheads and KKK alike.

Rete Jul 16th 2007 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5064814)
1996 according to the link. Firing a gun in the air according to the link, but true we don't have the full facts before us.

No, we don't and as rincewind said anyone can make a documentary. Just as anyone can voice an opinion, be aghast at the "injustice" they see in another country's laws and immigration regulations, or post a post that is strictly to inflame the readers.

Rete Jul 16th 2007 1:10 pm

You and the OP are wrong. This type of "thing" has been happening for decades. Perhaps it is because of the hype of anti-illegal immigration (not anti-immigration) that it is made public. Could also be because neither yourself nor surly were ever interested in this topic before.

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 5064820)
Couple of points to reply to Mally. With respect because I am merely debating here and not wishing to argue for the sake of it (you know I love a good debate). :)

Firstly I think these type of consequences have only been in effect since very recently, at least since Homeland security started to take a hand in things they were never intended to have a hand in. I am sure this type of thing never happened until recently.

Secondly I don't agree with your assertian that upbringing and living conditions are not a factor in crime or criminal behaviour. This is not a stereotype, it is a fact. You can see this by researching the crime rates in different neighbourhoods in america or any other western country. Look at a very rich area compared to say - the wrong side of 8 mile road in Detroit. Surely you are not suggesting that these are high crime areas because people are just basically evil and pre-disposed to crime? That would be stereotypical and i'm sure is a view subscribed to by american skinheads and KKK alike.

Silly Sod Jul 16th 2007 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 5064827)
No, we don't and as rincewind said anyone can make a documentary. Just as anyone can voice an opinion, be aghast at the "injustice" they see in another country's laws and immigration regulations, or post a post that is strictly to inflame the readers.

I think this is an interesting and stimulating debate, I don't think it was intended to inflame the readers. All documentaries are going to be biased one way or the other, as is all news media and history books. It is by debating these things and hearing points from the other side that we are able to read between the lines and maybe make a more informed decision on what to believe. I have had my point of view challenged and changed by people on BE and am glad of it.

Mally Lass Jul 16th 2007 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 5064820)
Couple of points to reply to Mally. With respect because I am merely debating here and not wishing to argue for the sake of it (you know I love a good debate). :) You and me both :D

Don't know anything about Homeland, so I can't comment :D

I agree that if you are brought up in those areas you are more likely to resort to crime, than that of someone who lives in a richer area, granted. It doesn't mean that you 'have' to resort to crime. Everyone has a choice to live/remain there or struggle to move on to a better place. Even if you don't, you still have life choices in whether to resort to crime or not. No-one forced the guy to break the law :p

Silly Sod Jul 16th 2007 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 5064832)
You and the OP are wrong. This type of "thing" has been happening for decades. Perhaps it is because of the hype of anti-illegal immigration (not anti-immigration) that it is made public. Could also be because neither yourself nor surly were ever interested in this topic before.

Well, I am very interested in the topic now that it has been brought to my attention - is that allowed? And I have already learned something about the topic - i.e. that this has always been the case. So, thanks for that. Does anybody know of particular cases where people have broken minor laws in the past and not been deported? I am keen to know if this law has been applied commonly or whether it is just now happening with all the immigration hysteria.

Rete Jul 16th 2007 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 5064849)
Well, I am very interested in the topic now that it has been brought to my attention - is that allowed? And I have already learned something about the topic - i.e. that this has always been the case. So, thanks for that. Does anybody know of particular cases where people have broken minor laws in the past and not been deported? I am keen to know if this law has been applied commonly or whether it is just now happening with all the immigration hysteria.

I don't have the stats but I've read that our prisons' overpopulation is due in part to the imprisonment of aliens who have committed criminal acts. After they have served their time, they will then be given over to ICE for deportation hearings.

The process to deport an alien is lengthy. You can read a brief synopsis of the procedure by reading the articles listed here:

http://immigration.about.com/od/depo...Procedures.htm

Silly Sod Jul 16th 2007 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mally Lass (Post 5064844)
Don't know anything about Homeland, so I can't comment :D

I agree that if you are brought up in those areas you are more likely to resort to crime, than that of someone who lives in a richer area, granted. It doesn't mean that you 'have' to resort to crime. Everyone has a choice to live/remain there or struggle to move on to a better place. Even if you don't, you still have life choices in whether to resort to crime or not. No-one forced the guy to break the law :p

That is far too a simplistic and moral viewpoint and doesn't reflect the social and economic pressures faced by young people with no education and no idea that they have no education in the first place. I agree that nobody 'has' to resort to crime, but saying that doesn't mean they don't. Not to mention the fact that so many of americas poor are criminalised just because of the neighbourhood they are from or because they may out after dark. There are many people arrested and charged for no other reason than those I have just stated. When you are brought up in a poor beighbourhood you develop an us and them mentality, from there it is a short step to striking out against a society that says - you don't 'have' to break the law while at the same time breakling the law itself at every turn. Billionaires in this country break the law every second of the day and we say Hail To The Chief and give them awards and million dollar handshakes. Who is teaching who how to behave here?

Silly Sod Jul 16th 2007 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 5064863)
I don't have the stats but I've read that our prisons' overpopulation is due in part to the imprisonment of aliens who have committed criminal acts. After they have served their time, they will then be given over to ICE for deportation hearings.

The process to deport an alien is lengthy. You can read a brief synopsis of the procedure by reading the articles listed here:

http://immigration.about.com/od/depo...Procedures.htm

Thank you for that Rete, and I will read it but I have to disagree about the prison population. The fact is that it pays to lock people up in this country, you have to pay for your bed and board. You have to pay to do community service - not to mention the revenue when some very low level pot dealer has everythiong they own taken away because of their infraction. The whole justice system works to imprison only those that cannot afford a real trial or real lawyer.

special ed Jul 16th 2007 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 5064864)
That is far too a simplistic and moral viewpoint and doesn't reflect the social and economic pressures faced by young people with no education and no idea that they have no education in the first place. I agree that nobody 'has' to resort to crime, but saying that doesn't mean they don't. Not to mention the fact that so many of americas poor are criminalised just because of the neighbourhood they are from or because they may out after dark. There are many people arrested and charged for no other reason than those I have just stated. When you are brought up in a poor beighbourhood you develop an us and them mentality, from there it is a short step to striking out against a society that says - you don't 'have' to break the law while at the same time breakling the law itself at every turn. Billionaires in this country break the law every second of the day and we say Hail To The Chief and give them awards and million dollar handshakes. Who is teaching who how to behave here?

I don't think mitigating factors for committing the crime are the key issue here though, although I think most people regardless of political stance would concede the role of socio-economic factors in crime. What's at stake here is whether deportation to a country the two have barely lived in is a fair sentence or not