Scrubber

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scrubber

Does the word scrubber has the same meaning in the US as in the UK. My company keeps calling this application we're developing a "scrubber" and it makes me giggle on the calls which doesn't sound very professional does it?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrubber

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Does the word scrubber has the same meaning in the US as in the UK. My company keeps calling this application we're developing a "scrubber" and it makes me giggle on the calls which doesn't sound very professional does it?
As a Yank, a 'scrubber' to me is something that cleans up something - like a scrub brush. Also a scrubber is what they put onto the smoke stacks at the power stations to 'scrub' the air clean of pollutants.

What does it mean to Brits?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
As a Yank, a 'scrubber' to me is something that cleans up something - like a scrub brush. Also a scrubber is what they put onto the smoke stacks at the power stations to 'scrub' the air clean of pollutants.

What does it mean to Brits?

Oh that's a word I haven't heard in a long time. In my school days (back inthe day - early 70's) it was applied to "bad girls". Girls who would - with boys all and sundry .
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:00 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Also a scrubber is what they put onto the smoke stacks at the power stations to 'scrub' the air clean of pollutants.
power stations?

it would take forever to brush the inside of the power station chimneys clean.

We used to power wash them, with a massive rig.

Then we'd be able to identify the refractory brickwork that had cracked and stitch them or just completely remove the entire lift of brickwork.

and it's not done "to clean the air" it's done because the sulphur that comes out eats away the inside of the liner of the stack and needs removed periodically so we could see what needs repaired.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I just got asked by email what it meant in the UK by my US colleagues as they couldn't understand why I was laughing. This definition is from the Urban Dictionary (which can be quite rude but hilarious).

A scrubber is “a female who spits and uses foul language. Many have been known to smoke cigarettes and dress poorly and are unhygienic. Some don’t care too much about themselves and sleep with lots of men and may have a revolving door to the bedroom …”

It has great definitions of Chavs as well - such a popular word here now..
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

No, and get over 'fanny pack' before you get here too.

(no, the giggling does NOT sound very professional).
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=meauxna;7244522]No, and get over 'fanny pack' before you get here too.

Now that one truly is a classic - I dont think any Brit could seriously "ever " use that word without their mind being elsewhere
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
power stations?
Power plant, power stations..same difference.

it would take forever to brush the inside of the power station chimneys clean.

We used to power wash them, with a massive rig.

Then we'd be able to identify the refractory brickwork that had cracked and stitch them or just completely remove the entire lift of brickwork.

and it's not done "to clean the air" it's done because the sulphur that comes out eats away the inside of the liner of the stack and needs removed periodically so we could see what needs repaired.

As it was explained to me, not from an expert mind, a power plant scrubber was bascially a giant filter that helped to filter out polllutants. I assume that they are still called the same thing..I suppose I could be wrong.

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/...n-control.html

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Feb 3rd 2009 at 7:12 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

As it was explained to me, not from an expert mind, a power plant scrubber was bascially a giant filter that helped to filter out polllutants. I assume that they are still called the same thing..I suppose I could be wrong.

oooh ok, we're talking two different things then. I thought you were talking about the wire brushes Dick Van Dyke was dancing with in Mary Poppins.

I know what you mean.

Last edited by Manc; Feb 3rd 2009 at 7:25 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

You are basically correct. That is a dry scrubber. There are also wet scrubbers. Scrubbers are also used on most, if not all, industrial furnaces.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Redwing
You are basically correct. That is a dry scrubber. There are also wet scrubbers. Scrubbers are also used on most, if not all, industrial furnaces.
wet scrubber......
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:33 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

They don't seem to understand what a slapper is either! Might call my boss one - just because I can!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to behold

Ohh there are so many! I think it would be a service to the Wiki to compile an exhaustive list of common Queen's English vulgarities not widely used or understood in America

Don't know about you, but it seems almost expected, nee encouraged that Brits use colorful language. My friends and colleagues seem to think that my foul mouthed antics are somehow 'earthy and charmingly British, but will be horrified if they utter so much as a hell or damn!

Edited with handy *'s for those who are easily offended by the more Anglo-Saxon vernacular.

I will start with:

Arse
B*llocks
W**nker
Chav
Scrubber
Ponce
Tw*t
Twit
B*gger (as a verb)
Kn*b
Jessie
Gypo
Pikey
Pleb

What else have you got? Entries from Roger Mellie's profanisaurus are not permitted!

Extra points to anybody who actually has any of these words on a US vanity plate ;-)
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

A scrubber is “a female who spits and uses foul language. Many have been known to smoke cigarettes and dress poorly and are unhygienic. Some don’t care too much about themselves and sleep with lots of men and may have a revolving door to the bedroom …”
Ah !!! Susan Porter from my youth .. a perfect match ..

wherever you are ... thank you
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:32 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hatfield
wet scrubber......
same as a wet deck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.