Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Screw or Belt drive?

Screw or Belt drive?

Old May 8th 2014, 1:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Screw or Belt drive?

I have to push my doors up and down, my elbows need greasing
Old May 8th 2014, 1:35 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I have to push my doors up and down, my elbows need greasing
That's very English

If I was moving back to the UK, and could only take one thing with me, it would be a garage door opener. Awesome inventions. You can keep the other stuff... The big houses, trucks, air conditioning, cheerleaders...err, hold on, if I could only take two things back, one would be a door opener....
Old May 8th 2014, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I've had both and think the screw drive is slightly better and quieter than the chain drive. However for either to work correctly, the door has to be balanced correctly and the screw, chain, rollers and/or springs have to be lubricated regularly. If you have to increase the tension on the clutch, then it is likely that either the garage door is out of balance or the parts haven't been lubricated or are worn.

Swinging doors get out of balance much easier than roller doors.
Old May 8th 2014, 2:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I've had both and think the screw drive is slightly better and quieter than the chain drive. .....
That's nice.

He asked about belt drive.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I have to push my doors up and down, my elbows need greasing.
I have recently, during the past 2-3 weeks, taken to doing the same thing. The doors are well balanced with the spring helping, and very easy to open by disengaging the drive "shoe" then just lifting the door. It's quick, quiet, and virtually effortless. I just need to make sure the shoe is reengaged when I pull the door back down again.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 8th 2014 at 2:14 am.
Old May 8th 2014, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
What?
Let me teach you about reading comprehension...

It's a reference to the previous poster's home location. Really quite simple.
Old May 8th 2014, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

Still none the wiser
Old May 8th 2014, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Still none the wiser
As he was the previous poster to my comment, look at Mikelincs' location and all may make sense.

I guess it's a good thing there are other people to talk to - and even a few that understand English!
Old May 8th 2014, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I've had both and think the screw drive is slightly better and quieter than the chain drive.
I cycle quite a bit and given the problems i get with my bike chain from time to time there is no way i'm getting a chain drive garage door opener.

Chains can break, they can expand, the cogs wear down, the chain can come off the cogs easily and they need lubricant. I'm not seeing how that can be better than a screw drive, quieter maybe but "better"?
Old May 8th 2014, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Bournemouth has changed since i left, its not all old people now. The university has grown dramatically. The nightlife scene has exploded, the town center is a violent place at night. Its also the hen night capital of the UK. Most of my local pubs have closed, the post office and bookmakers near my house both got robbed at gunpoint last year. Drugs are a growing problem, especially in Boscombe. The IMAX was a disaster, the ice rink on westover road got closed down, the BIC swimming pool with wave machine closed and they spent millions on the surf reef that doesn't work.

On the positive side the football club are doing better.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; May 8th 2014 at 6:18 pm.
Old May 8th 2014, 6:53 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Genie Screw Drive with one of those crap one-piece garage doors common in here in L.A.. Curiously, the radio control unit is NOT genie.

Our front gate has a LiftMaster opener.
Old May 8th 2014, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

I saw Little & Large (waste of time!), Bottom - the stage show, A Christmas Carol with Anthony Newley (parental treat) and Deep Purple at the BIC among others.

I know it's not an 'oldie' area and hasn't been for a long time, but the joke wouldn't work otherwise!

I bowled twice a week, obviously at the bowling alley on Westover, I think it was, and I was quite good at one time. My flat was at the bottom end of Dean Park Road, so it was a short walk through the park to the office.

There were some good Indian restaurants there I seem to remember, and some that delivered, which got used a LOT!
Old May 8th 2014, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a Genie screw drive. I used a high temperature lithium grease and that seems to work ok without dripping all over the car. I can't comment on the belt drive as I've never owned one.
The opener started acting up badly last year, it would start and stop intermittently and then finally gave up the ghost. I took the covers off and found there was a big electrolytic capacitor in there that was leaking electrolyte badly. Replaced that for about $10 and it's worked fine ever since, thought it worth mentioning in case someone has a similar problem and doesn't want to pay the repair guy $100+.
Old May 8th 2014, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

I saw Little & Large (waste of time!), Bottom - the stage show, A Christmas Carol with Anthony Newley (parental treat) and Deep Purple at the BIC among others.

I know it's not an 'oldie' area and hasn't been for a long time, but the joke wouldn't work otherwise!

I bowled twice a week, obviously at the bowling alley on Westover, I think it was, and I was quite good at one time. My flat was at the bottom end of Dean Park Road, so it was a short walk through the park to the office.

There were some good Indian restaurants there I seem to remember, and some that delivered, which got used a LOT!
At age 13 i had a cleaning job at the Pavilion theater. I got to meet the entire cast of the Hi-De-Hi show, they guy who played the jockey, not nice. Also i met Buster Merryfield (Uncle Albert). School swimming was at the BIC pool, I remember Ken Bailey coming in the changing rooms to hand out free tickets for the ice rink.
Bowling and the cinema was too expensive for me as a kid. The ice rink was 50p for a morning session and 50p for the afternoon session. 25p bus fare each way. A whole day out for £1.50

Charminster road has many more Indian and other restaurants now, due to the growth of the university and the number of students needing a fix at closing time.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; May 8th 2014 at 9:41 pm.
Old May 8th 2014, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
We have a Genie Screw Drive with one of those crap one-piece garage doors common in here in L.A.. Curiously, the radio control unit is NOT genie.

Our front gate has a LiftMaster opener.
That seems to be the brand that all the companies are pushing on the flyers that i get in the mail.

My next door neighbor has a belt drive and showed it to me last night. Almost silent. My only worry is that with the dryness and heat in Arizona is how well the rubber belt would hold up. I'm hoping the belt would be steel re-enforced, that would be a question for the garage door company.

i think i'll go with belt drive, so the only thing i have to lube is the main spring. I only started to do that when mine broke 2 years ago. You do not open your garage door on your own manually when the spring breaks.
Old May 8th 2014, 9:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
You do not open your garage door on your own manually when the spring breaks.
Very true I can vouch for that, and they only break when car is in the garage and you need to go somewhere urgently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.