Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

scrap all bank holidays?

scrap all bank holidays?

Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default scrap all bank holidays?

Apparently scrapping all bank holidays in the UK will add £19 billion to the economy and help get us out of a hole...
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17654781)

Really?

That's like a customer coming to me looking for a price reduction because business isn't so hot... and he needs to cut costs...

He or she doesn't have a cost problem, they have a revenue problem.

Cutting bank holidays won't fix fundamental issues in the UK economy, like corrupt and/or mental bankers and politicians.

What an utter knob-smeg covered heap of orang-utan miasma.

That's what I think.

What do you think?
Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: scrap all bank holidays?

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
What do you think?
I notice that TFA claims we have ten days of public holidays in the US...
Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It would suit me if workers had less time off. I'm soon to retire, and it is annoying having working people wandering around at leisure on a Monday or a Friday, when they already have Saturday and Sunday off.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I notice that TFA claims we have ten days of public holidays in the US...
If only. Yep, the teachers, council workers, post office people, etc. get all of them around here but us mere peasants, forget it. Labo(u)r day. Memorial day, 4th July, Thanskgiving and Christmas are it for around here for most people. Some people don't even get the first two.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Bank holiday comes six times a year
Days of enjoyment to which everyone cheers
Bank holiday comes with a six pack of beer
Then it's back to work
A-g-a-i-n
Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:13 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
If only. Yep, the teachers, council workers, post office people, etc. get all of them around here but us mere peasants, forget it. Labo(u)r day. Memorial day, 4th July, Thanskgiving and Christmas are it for around here for most people. Some people don't even get the first two.
Some don't get any of 'em if they're scheduled to work............. Technically I could be scheduled to work any of those days and have been with my company.

You might want to add New Year's to the list though.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
It would suit me if workers had less time off. I'm soon to retire, and it is annoying having working people wandering around at leisure on a Monday or a Friday, when they already have Saturday and Sunday off.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough

What do you think?
Think you've never had to fund a payroll.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinman0
Think you've never had to fund a payroll.
That smart arse comment doesn't change the fact that you think wrong.

Next?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:14 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently scrapping all bank holidays in the UK will add £19 billion to the economy and help get us out of a hole...
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17654781)

Really?

That's like a customer coming to me looking for a price reduction because business isn't so hot... and he needs to cut costs...

He or she doesn't have a cost problem, they have a revenue problem.

Cutting bank holidays won't fix fundamental issues in the UK economy, like corrupt and/or mental bankers and politicians.

What an utter knob-smeg covered heap of orang-utan miasma.

That's what I think.

What do you think?
Utter bollocks. How does changing the number of bank holidays change the number of customers in the market? That's the old "the more you produce, the more you'll sell" chestnut. Knobs.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by robin1234
Ah-ha! You're going to be like one of the old folks I used to see in the UK - they'd make sure to come into town in their busloads at lunchtime on pension day, so that the poor working stiffs couldn't get anything done in their lunch hours
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
Ah-ha! You're going to be like one of the old folks I used to see in the UK - they'd make sure to come into town in their busloads at lunchtime on pension day, so that the poor working stiffs couldn't get anything done in their lunch hours
Yup definitely starting to think & act like an OAP. We've started eating out at 4:30 with the early bird specials, for instance.. I draw the line at taking up golf and moving to Florida though.