Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old May 15th 2014, 4:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Nutek
CDO

*twitch*
It's more anally retentive though, isn't it?

or really aallny eeeinrttv ...
Old May 15th 2014, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

nicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I have mentioned before that my daughter has Asperger's.

She is very particular about many things, and it often makes me smile now rather than exasperate me.

I mentioned before she had been at a party and the police were called, Hayley was asked to give a statement, which she duly did.

She was then handed the policeman's notebook to check over what she had said and correct any mistakes before signing.

This took quite a bit of time...............as she was correcting the policeman's spelling.
Old May 15th 2014, 5:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm a stickler for accuracy. I may be borderline OCD, and my mother was a high school English teacher. Funnily enough I loathed English at school, dropped Eng Lit as soon as I was able, i.e. before O' levels, much to my mother's disappointment.

Now I spend much of my time at work reading reports, writing reports, and editing/ correcting the written work of others. If you'd told me at any point up to about three years after I left uni that my career would be primarily centered on words and writing, I'd have told you that you're out of your gourd!
As I spend much of my time both editing and having to use prefect English, it is quite a relief when posting on BE to not worry if I have a typo (which I can blame on my cr*p tablet keyboard, anyway).

But I couldn't be as cavalier as some on here about the need to at least try to write in semi-coherent English. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I thought I'd typed a paragraph without a single capital letter or full stop.
Old May 15th 2014, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
As I spend much of my time both editing and having to use prefect English, it is quite a relief when posting on BE to not worry if I have a typo (which I can blame on my cr*p tablet keyboard, anyway).

But I couldn't be as cavalier as some on here about the need to at least try to write in semi-coherent English. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I thought I'd typed a paragraph without a single capital letter or full stop.
Prefect English? Does that involve giving transgressors lines?
Old May 15th 2014, 5:28 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola s
I don't know if I have mentioned before that my daughter has Asperger's.

She is very particular about many things, and it often makes me smile now rather than exasperate me.

I mentioned before she had been at a party and the police were called, Hayley was asked to give a statement, which she duly did.

She was then handed the policeman's notebook to check over what she had said and correct any mistakes before signing.

This took quite a bit of time...............as she was correcting the policeman's spelling.
Good for her.
Old May 15th 2014, 5:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Prefect English? Does that involve giving transgressors lines?
Pulaski is obviously slow off the mark ... and you were just commenting in the MBTTUK forum about getting English irony (think about it ... the only error in the whole post was the word "prefect".)

[my cunning plan was to suggest Pulaski must have dropped English lit 'O'-level before they reached "irony"]
Old May 15th 2014, 5:47 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski is obviously slow off the mark ... and you were just commenting in the MBTTUK forum about getting English irony (think about it ... the only error in the whole post was the word "prefect".)

[my cunning plan was to suggest Pulaski must have dropped English lit 'O'-level before they reached "irony"]
If I were you, I'd have gone with 'intentional pun' on that one
Old May 15th 2014, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 15th 2014, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
If I were you, I'd have gone with 'intentional pun' on that one
Maybe a nod to 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide'?
Old May 15th 2014, 5:57 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Maybe a nod to 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide'?
Well, it was nice and inconspicuous ...
Old May 15th 2014, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Well, it was nice and inconspicuous ...
Old May 15th 2014, 6:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski is obviously slow off the mark ... and you were just commenting in the MBTTUK forum about getting English irony (think about it ... the only error in the whole post was the word "prefect".) ......
I was too busy with my own typo in #1258 (last line), which Sultan quoted (#1259) before I was able to correct it.
Old May 15th 2014, 6:16 pm
I have a comma problem

I was too busy with my own typo in #1258 (last line), which Sultan quoted (#1259) before I was able to correct it.
The fact that I didn't notice it kind of takes a bit of validity out of what I said in post #1259, doesn't it?
Old May 15th 2014, 6:18 pm
Ping-ponger

I only noticed the error in the first line. Still don't see the one in the last line.
Old May 15th 2014, 6:21 pm
I have a comma problem

I only noticed the error in the first line. Still don't see the one in the last line.
It took me a while to find it when I went back.

What was the error in the first line? Saying he is a stickler for accuracy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.