British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   the Scottish independence issue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/scottish-independence-issue-817782/)

Nutek Mar 18th 2014 2:25 pm

Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11178499)
As this is an Immigration site I am wondering how the open borders mentioned will work,

I was wondering the same thing actually. hard to get into long debates here at work but that part, in particular, stood out to me.

dunroving Mar 18th 2014 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by nicola s (Post 11178465)
Dunroving, im not doubting the intelligence of your colleague nor do I blame Maggie Thatcher or England for all that is wrong with Scotland, However do you know that during the Thatcher Government the changes made to the benefits system in order to improve the grants given by the EU? this had catastrophic effects on whole communities. The combination of the loss of industry the changes to benefits the encouragement of Incapacity benefit the massive increase in housing benefit that then left people in a catch 22 of not being able to afford to work as the availability of work was limited and would mean many of those put on to the scrap heap had very little hope which then left the next generation with very little hope. You cannot ignore the damage done to areas of Scotland by the Thatcher years in fact I think the introduction of the Barnett formula was tied in with the hope of independence then. Call me cynical but giving Scotland a certain amount per head at the same time as changing benefits, changing the rules regarding voting and keeping the wealth of the North sea as compensation for that gift doesn't look so good really. I lived and worked in an area of Glasgow that was on its knees because of this and when I became a youth worker in Easterhouse it was very sad to see that areas of Glasgow had the same life expectancy as someone in the poorest parts of Africa despite the wealth the nation was producing. We cant blame Maggie Thatcher for everything, many of her own party failed Scotland too. The reality of Independence means we get to have a government that works for the people of Scotland because as it stands our voice as a minority in Westminster will never be heard and the ministers of the big parties voted in by their local constituents toe the party line when push comes to shove so I don't see a change even with greater devolution. Don't know if this answers your questions. this is a massive debate that can engage and enrage many, and I could never do it justice on a forum.

I'm sorry, maybe it's my ageing eyesight, but I find it difficult to read big blocks of text on-screen so please forgive me if I don't respond. I do see Maggie Thatcher's name in there so wonder aloud why Gordon Brown and Tommy Bliar get no blame for screwing up the economy of Scotland.

dunroving Mar 18th 2014 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11178502)
I was wondering the same thing actually. hard to get into long debates here at work but that part, in particular, stood out to me.

This was debated the other night (there's a series of debates being hosted by STV). On the one hand, people were saying that IF Scotland becomes independent and subsequently decides to have a vastly differing immigration policy than rUK, then a border would be essential. I think Teresa May has been banging on about this.

However, I think Ireland/NI were given as an example of two countries that have differing immigration polices but have a free border.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 18th 2014 2:40 pm

The comment referred to borders, not just the one to the south,

SultanOfSwing Mar 18th 2014 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11178499)
As this is an Immigration site I am wondering how the open borders mentioned will work,

Presumably (as Dunroving mentioned) it would work the same as the RoI/NI border.

That is an open border between two countries, one of which used to be part of the UK, that has been in existence since before the EU so in principle, a Scotland/UK border, assuming Scotland will not be part of the EU for any length of time, would work in the same way.

They probably won't have all the army checkpoints that they used to have at the RoI/NI border into the early 1990s though ...

dunroving Mar 18th 2014 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11178528)
The comment referred to borders, not just the one to the south,

Which other country does Scotland have a border with? :confused:

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 18th 2014 2:52 pm

An open border with the rUK would be one thing, but this was open borders, something else.

I assumed from the tone it would not be the racist Tory system, but truly open.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 18th 2014 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11178546)

it has Airports?

nicola s Mar 18th 2014 3:10 pm

Dunroving, my apologies I am not so great on the computer and not so great at short answers.

I believe the reason Maggie Thatcher is mentioned so often is because she was the driving force behind the disasters in my living memory I am no fan of New labour either, but don't believe they made those decisions and actually tried to right some wrongs in their time in power.

The economy failing I believe was a global thing and something that should remind further generations the pitfalls of chasing wealth on a promise.

A question for those who wish to remain as part of the union,

How comfortable would you be with your neighbour even if they were your friend being in charge of the income and expenditure of your household ? Would you allow them the deciding factor of who can cross your threshold?

As I have said previously i have never met an English person i don't like, and love many things about England, but i do not believe the current system works.

SultanOfSwing Mar 18th 2014 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11178546)

Perhaps maritime borders with Norway?

dunroving Mar 18th 2014 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11178563)
it has Airports?

So has someone suggested open access to Scotland at its airports?

I don't recall that being part of the Independence manifesto ...

SultanOfSwing Mar 18th 2014 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11178599)
So has someone suggested open access to Scotland at its airports?

I don't recall that being part of the Independence manifesto ...

That would be about as groovy and right-on as immigration policy would get :eek:

Yeah, let them have truly 'open' borders and see how that goes ... :D

Nutek Mar 18th 2014 3:15 pm

I think it's all the assumptions that get me. "Oh we will have open borders". That's nice.. What if the people on the other side of it tell you to naff off?

SultanOfSwing Mar 18th 2014 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11178606)
I think it's all the assumptions that get me. "Oh we will have open borders". That's nice.. What if the people on the other side of it tell you to naff off?

There is a lot of 'cart before the horse' type stuff going on here, isn't there?

dunroving Mar 18th 2014 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by nicola s (Post 11178595)
Dunroving, my apologies I am not so great on the computer and not so great at short answers.

I believe the reason Maggie Thatcher is mentioned so often is because she was the driving force behind the disasters in my living memory I am no fan of New labour either, but don't believe they made those decisions and actually tried to right some wrongs in their time in power.

The economy failing I believe was a global thing and something that should remind further generations the pitfalls of chasing wealth on a promise.

A question for those who wish to remain as part of the union,

How comfortable would you be with your neighbour even if they were your friend being in charge of the income and expenditure of your household ? Would you allow them the deciding factor of who can cross your threshold?

As I have said previously i have never met an English person i don't like, and love many things about England, but i do not believe the current system works.

Thanks that's a lot better - if you hit the "Enter" key every now and then it helps me!

I am certainly no big fan of Maggie Thatcher but she seems to be the big bogeyman who gets blamed for every ill in the civilised world. I wonder if she will still be vilified in centuries to come. I certainly think her effect on the national economy pales in significance to what Labour did to us in the late 90s and early noughties.

Maggie may have hurt certain regions of the country (Liverpool, South Wales, Clydeside) more than others, but Labour has cost every household in the UK many £1,000's and we are still recovering from their culture of greed.

Like my friend said, banging on about whose "fault" it is long after they are dead does seem a bit immature - sometimes you just have to move on (which in this case may mean independence or it may mean dealing with what is happening now rather than what happened decades ago).

I cringe at the number of shoulderless posh boys in government and cringe every time one of them opens his mouth (because they are almost all men), but they all seem the same these days. Conservatives seem the best of a pretty bad bunch, TBH.

As someone who has never claimed any benefits, always found a job even if it was cleaning toilets, always paid off his debts, and has paid the price for self-funding my university education, I worry about the idea that even more of my taxes will go towards funding the lifestyles of the uneducated and lazy. None of the current parties (including the SNP) seems to be able to differentiate between the latter and low-skilled, hard workers who just want a minimally decent standard of living.