British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   the Scottish independence issue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/scottish-independence-issue-817782/)

Pulaski May 8th 2015 8:32 pm

Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11640952)
I don't think Cameron can afford to ignore the Scots on any major point. A lot of Scots believe (and they may well be justified in believing) that the recent referendum was stolen and that the majority favoured independence. ....

How so? The question was clear, a vote was held, and the votes cast were counted. The number favouring independence was fewer, by a fair margin, than those who preferred to remain part of the UK. What am I missing? :confused:

Garbatellamike May 8th 2015 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11640959)
How so? The question was clear, a vote was held, and the votes cast were counted. The number favouring independence was fewer, by a fair margin, than those who preferred to remain part of the UK. What am I missing? :confused:

nothing Pulaski

Gordon Barlow May 8th 2015 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11640959)
How so? The question was clear, a vote was held, and the votes cast were counted. The number favouring independence was fewer, by a fair margin, than those who preferred to remain part of the UK. What am I missing?

There were rumours - in the alternative media, not the mainstream - of ballot-boxes going missing, and re-appearing... the usual stuff. I've no idea how much truth there was in the stories, but I am old enough to have learnt not to trust the PTB. (Also, there was some talk of the exit-polls being extraordinarily inaccurate.)

The SNP will certainly have benefited from the suspicions. It will be interesting to see if the EU can keep the lid on the several independence movements on the go at the moment - ethnic minorities in Spain, France and central Europe. Lots of fun for young and old, in the next few years.

Pulaski May 8th 2015 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11640978)
There were rumours - in the alternative media, not the mainstream - of ballot-boxes going missing, and re-appearing... the usual stuff. ....

So the sort of BS rumours that you'd expect from a bunch of bitter, sore losers! :rolleyes:

Nutek May 8th 2015 11:46 pm

alternative media,

NME?

scrubbedexpat099 May 8th 2015 11:59 pm

New Musical Express?

Nutek May 9th 2015 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11641090)
New Musical Express?

;)

TopSec May 9th 2015 1:05 am

There were rumours - in the alternative media, not the mainstream - of ballot-boxes going missing, and re-appearing... the usual stuff. I've no idea how much truth there was in the stories, but I am old enough to have learnt not to trust the PTB. (Also, there was some talk of the exit-polls being extraordinarily inaccurate.)

:rofl:

The funny thing is, some people actually believe this sort of thing. This is the UK, not some tin-pot African regime!

steveq May 9th 2015 2:37 am

Originally Posted by TopSec (Post 11641114)

The funny thing is, some people actually believe this sort of thing. This is the UK, not some tin-pot African regime!

Two words. Tower Hamlets.

scrubbedexpat099 May 9th 2015 2:40 am

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 11641162)
Two words. Tower Hamlets.

Apart from that.

And Rotherham.

And...

Gordon Barlow May 9th 2015 2:43 am

Originally Posted by TopSec (Post 11641114)
:rofl:The funny thing is, some people actually believe this sort of thing. This is the UK, not some tin-pot African regime!

The really funny thing is that some people actually believed the lie that Saddam Hussein had nuclear bombs ready to hit London in 45 minutes. And some people still believe everything the mass-media tells them. You must be one of those people. I'm not.

Pulaski May 9th 2015 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11641165)
.... some people still believe everything the mass-media tells them. You must be one of those people. I'm not.

Well I'm not, but I pay even less attention to the 54!t3 peddled by "alternative news sources" on the internet. :rolleyes:

And as for Saddam Hussain, he didn't have a missile that could arrive in Israel in one piece so the prospect of him being able to launch anything that would reach Britain that wasn't made by Boeing or Airbus is utter nonsense.

Gordon Barlow May 9th 2015 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11641171)
Well I'm not, but I pay even less attention to the 54!t3 peddled by "alternative news sources" on the internet. :rolleyes:

You probably won't pay any attention to this, then! Interesting, though, for anyone bothered to check out the alternative press occasionally...
Britain’s Political Circus by Justin Raimondo -- Antiwar.com

md95065 May 9th 2015 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by jjmb (Post 11640908)
from watching the news here, (which I know is bias) it seems the Tories decided they were no longer going to win in Scotland ...

Sorry, couldn't help that, but the idea of the Conservative party suddenly realizing that they weren't going to "win" in Scotland is really funny - the last time that they won a majority of the Scottish parliamentary seats was in the 1950's and they have only had one seat (which they held onto) for the last 15 years.

A lot of the reason for the swing to the SNP wasn't nationalism per-se as much as the Scots saying "you guys are rubbish" to both Labour and the SDP - something that they had already said to the Conservatives years ago.

robin1234 May 9th 2015 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11641182)
You probably won't pay any attention to this, then! Interesting, though, for anyone bothered to check out the alternative press occasionally...
Britain’s Political Circus by Justin Raimondo -- Antiwar.com

Justin Raimondo is an idiot and he always has been. Easy to read, sounds plausible, but always way off base. An example in the piece you link. "The EU is hugely unpopular with ordinary British people." Really? Odd that polls consistently show more people want to stay in than leave then.

Raimondo is a great one for contrasting "ordinary people" with "elites." Naturally, he asserts the right to define which is which.