Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Mar 16th 2014, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

I'm an Airdrie boy
Old Mar 16th 2014, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

nicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond repute

not far from Glasgow at all, I live in Aberdeenshire now (for the past 4 years) and will be moving to KL for 2 years due to my husbands work, there is a likelihood of a move to Houston at some point, I have dragged my heels long enough about moving and now it is real I am looking forward to living in a few places
Old Mar 16th 2014, 10:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola s
ps dunroving I am from Glasgow originally and my family and friends there seem to trade in irony and very base humour so I don't think I missed the irony or the funnies it just seemed more negative than I would have thought however we are lucky there is an opportunity to discuss and debate and also the fact we are seeing democracy change things and not violence is a credit to all involved
I'm a resident of Glasgow myelf so we have something in common.

I think Alex Salmon elicits a lot of negative feelings that aren't representative of how people feel towards Scotland or the Scots. He's just a little weasel who is using the anti-"Westminster" label as a thinly-disguised proxy for a rather parochial sense of nationalism. (That's not meant in an ironic way).
Old Mar 16th 2014, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

King Alex in his own mind...
Old Mar 16th 2014, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

nicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond repute

one of the biggest negatives is Alex Salmond, however despite him I am still voting yes and most people that I know in Glasgow are too and much to my surprise there is a lot of support for the yes campaign in the North east too so you just never know. it is nice to see how many people are getting involved.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... until we wish to be independent and negotiate joint decisions as an equal partner. Why all of the things that make us better and stronger and the reason to remain can not be renegotiated to be fairer is beyond me.
But you're not an equal partner, and BTW you don't have any bargaining chips. If you storm out of a club of which you're a member, you have pretty much thrown away any negotiating power you had, and the club is under no obligation to even talk to you. In the Scottish independence case, you'd be storming out of TWO clubs, neither of which have much incentive to cut you any slack at all!

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 17th 2014 at 12:47 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

and that is the kind of attitude that makes independence a wish for many, we may be smaller and as far as I am aware it was a joining of nations that suited at the time that led to the United Kingdom, however the current system will never recognise the needs of the people of Scotland.

If you really believe that Scotland has no bargaining chips then there would be no need to keep us. although having already transferred some of the rights to Scottish Waters to England I suppose preparations are starting just in case we democratically vote for the right to govern ourselves.

there is no storming out of a club, I think those who have wished independence and have been denied that right to it (please read up on the politics of the 70s to find the underhand methods used to deny it)
have waited patiently for this opportunity. Hopefully people who have views for both sides of this debate can remember not to belittle other opinions that don't match their own.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't think Pulaski is making a value judgement. He's just stating the facts.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

I shall try and read it differently then thanks HotScot its maybe the laughing smiley after suggesting storming out that made me think differently I shall bow out of this debate as I feel very strongly on the subject and have no wish to argue with people I do not know.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nicola...In what way do you think independence would improve Scotland?
For example the oil won't last forever, there is very little industry...

There are questions over the currency which haven't been fully addressed, also the relationship to the EU.

As a businessman I am concerned about the economy and barriers to inward investment and business development opportunities.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

and that is the kind of attitude that makes independence a wish for many, we may be smaller and as far as I am aware it was a joining of nations that suited at the time that led to the United Kingdom, however the current system will never recognise the needs of the people of Scotland.

If you really believe that Scotland has no bargaining chips then there would be no need to keep us. although having already transferred some of the rights to Scottish Waters to England I suppose preparations are starting just in case we democratically vote for the right to govern ourselves.

there is no storming out of a club, I think those who have wished independence and have been denied that right to it (please read up on the politics of the 70s to find the underhand methods used to deny it)
have waited patiently for this opportunity. Hopefully people who have views for both sides of this debate can remember not to belittle other opinions that don't match their own.
Well said Nicola.There are some people who just dont get it and are hoping and praying that Scotland will fail .Sad people.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Well said Nicola.There are some people who just dont get it and are hoping and praying that Scotland will fail .Sad people.
I don't know of anyone here hoping and praying that Scotland will fail.
However many of us do not agree that independence is the proper path to prosperity.

And I say that as a man with business interests.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Originally Posted by hotscot
I don't know of anyone here hoping and praying that Scotland will fail. ....
Not I for sure. I like Scotland, and I like it's people. I used to work for a Scottish company. I do nothing but wish it well, and it is for exactly that reason that I hope that enough Scots see that following Alex "Moses" Salmond into the wilderness makes no sense what so ever.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hotscot this is such a massive debate and very difficult to do it justice on a forum however you need to look at other countries who have managed to gain independence to see the process used regarding currency, those of us who wish independence for the most part could not give a toss about using the pound the details of that can be worked out after the vote. as for the EU if we as a nation decide to apply to the EU it is very unlikely to be refused despite the protestations of the better together campaign .
Regarding Oil we are not pinning our hopes on this being the saviour it may have been if the vote had been allowed previously (please if you are interested in that read Maggie Thatcher's biography)
For every business worried about finances (why my husband wishes to remain in the union) then you do need to look carefully as to whats best for you and your business however my money remains in the bank I bank with as will the majority of Scots, so not all is lost. There are many homegrown businesses and despite what the media says there are plenty wealthy farmers, there is still a smaller fishing industry and there are filming companies and a lot of innovation including some very interesting companies working for NASA. the finances from the North Sea can not be ignored there is a great deal of tax to be gathered from that and there are also many natural power sources. there is oil in the west of Scotland that was covered up so that has great potential too. The travel and tourism industry will grow I believe. the grants given to the Uk will change if we leave as unfortunately Scotland being the sick man of Europe (hate to mention Maggie Thatcher again however) has helped gain the massive grants given. Depending on which information you read is whether you actually believe Scotland is financially dependent on England. The ordinary man on the street will not be as concerned with big business and for the most part life wont change immediately either way. The reality of this vote is its actually the ordinary worker who is getting to decide the fate of Scotland and not those who benefit financially from it at present and they are in greater numbers. I doubt as many businesses will leave as they say and if the banks choose to go then the other banks who remain will gain new customers. Same with other businesses if the service is still needed then I believe some very lucky entrepeneurs will benefit and thrive from the gap left in the market. This wish to govern ourselves should not be seen as anti English it is so far from that. On a very basic level I find it so insulting that there is a belief by many that we will not find a way to manage our own Country. As I have said I am no fan of Alex Salmond however he has helped more than hindered in the time he has fought for this. A very basic human need is to be master of his own house and have his needs met, It is not so wrong to wish for that or try to achieve that. Some divorced couples even manage to remain friends when dividing their assets so here is hoping that this is possible on a grander scale. I like hearing other peoples points of view on this and it makes me look into what I am unsure of. We are very fortunate to have a country that will likely always be fertile and like any new nation I imagine there will be incentives to business to encourage growth that will attract many investors. I imagine the year of the homecoming will have to be extended for those ex pats who wish to celebrate if we are successful and that can only be a good thing for the prospering travel industry
Old Mar 17th 2014, 7:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hotscot this is such a massive debate and very difficult to do it justice on a forum however you need to look at other countries who have managed to gain independence to see the process used regarding currency, those of us who wish independence for the most part could not give a toss about using the pound the details of that can be worked out after the vote. as for the EU if we as a nation decide to apply to the EU it is very unlikely to be refused despite the protestations of the better together campaign .

Regarding Oil we are not pinning our hopes on this being the saviour it may have been if the vote had been allowed previously (please if you are interested in that read Maggie Thatcher's biography)

For every business worried about finances (why my husband wishes to remain in the union) then you do need to look carefully as to whats best for you and your business however my money remains in the bank I bank with as will the majority of Scots, so not all is lost. There are many homegrown businesses and despite what the media says there are plenty wealthy farmers, there is still a smaller fishing industry and there are filming companies and a lot of innovation including some very interesting companies working for NASA. the finances from the North Sea can not be ignored there is a great deal of tax to be gathered from that and there are also many natural power sources. there is oil in the west of Scotland that was covered up so that has great potential too.

The travel and tourism industry will grow I believe. the grants given to the Uk will change if we leave as unfortunately Scotland being the sick man of Europe (hate to mention Maggie Thatcher again however) has helped gain the massive grants given. Depending on which information you read is whether you actually believe Scotland is financially dependent on England.

The ordinary man on the street will not be as concerned with big business and for the most part life wont change immediately either way. The reality of this vote is its actually the ordinary worker who is getting to decide the fate of Scotland and not those who benefit financially from it at present and they are in greater numbers. I doubt as many businesses will leave as they say and if the banks choose to go then the other banks who remain will gain new customers. Same with other businesses if the service is still needed then I believe some very lucky entrepeneurs will benefit and thrive from the gap left in the market.

This wish to govern ourselves should not be seen as anti English it is so far from that. On a very basic level I find it so insulting that there is a belief by many that we will not find a way to manage our own Country. As I have said I am no fan of Alex Salmond however he has helped more than hindered in the time he has fought for this. A very basic human need is to be master of his own house and have his needs met, It is not so wrong to wish for that or try to achieve that. Some divorced couples even manage to remain friends when dividing their assets so here is hoping that this is possible on a grander scale. I like hearing other peoples points of view on this and it makes me look into what I am unsure of.

We are very fortunate to have a country that will likely always be fertile and like any new nation I imagine there will be incentives to business to encourage growth that will attract many investors. I imagine the year of the homecoming will have to be extended for those ex pats who wish to celebrate if we are successful and that can only be a good thing for the prospering travel industry
FIFY - Sorry, I struggle to read long blocks of text.

That's better ... having now read it, I'll repeat some points and questions I have raised elsewhere in this thread and on the other Scottish Independence thread.

My colleague, a highly intelligent person who is very pro-Independence often says, "We are an immature nation who needs independence so we can stop blaming the English Government and Margaret Thatcher for all of our problems"

I also wonder why England gets the blame for Scotland being the Sick Man of Europe? Due to the Barnett Formula, Scotland receives about £1,500 per person additional tax revenue, compared to England, to spend on health care and other benefits ...so the "income" side of the Scottish economy would have to improve by £1,500 per person per year to just get to where they are currently.

Last edited by dunroving; Mar 17th 2014 at 7:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.