Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Molten salt seems a popular research field right now.
Storing heat then converting it to steam to generate electricity. From what little I know the proponents are North European but the plants are more southerly located.

The better solution to AC demand is through design, a PV system to power a conventional AC system would be uneconomic currently.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Very helpful.
Or have a very long extension cable?
Love it. Had me in stitches.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'd never thought about this before, but encouraging people to install solar systems could shave a good bit of the peak off the domestic demand curve because AC is the biggest driver of domestic electricity usage.
In Dixie, sure.
Not in Bonnie Scotland methinks.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

The Cruachan power station at Loch Awe....they pump water up the hill when electricity is on low tariff, then they let it flow down and the turbines produce electricity when the tariff is high.

http://www.visitcruachan.co.uk/about/
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
In Dixie, sure.
Not in Bonnie Scotland methinks.
I sincerely doubt there are more than a tiny number of houses in Scotland with AC, and those that do have it would only need it for a few (non-continuous) weeks a year, and a few hours a day.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
The Cruachan power station at Loch Awe....they pump water up the hill when electricity is on low tariff, then they let it flow down and the turbines produce electricity when the tariff is high....
I think Dinorwig in north Wales was the first such installation in the UK. I guess it must have been somewhat successful if they built another.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think Dinorwig in north Wales was the first such installation in the UK. I guess it must have been somewhat successful if they built another.
I seem to remember one in Wales as well, that is the one I was thinking of when it was mentioned.

My understanding is that the process is relatively inefficient, I can see why, and I am sure a bit of research would help.

I believe the justification was that it was essentially energy that would have been wasted so even a relatively high loss rate was acceptable.

Quite how molten salt will work in a Scottish winter is another issue.

Perhaps they could store heat in the deep fat fryers, kill 2 birds.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Storing heat then converting it to steam to generate electricity. From what little I know the proponents are North European but the plants are more southerly located.
Arizona http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...ar-plant-salt/
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

I think Fried Mars Bar references are now deemed racist.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Arizona is the crux.

Anyway 3sq miles of reflectors generates enough for 70,000 people during day light hours and 6 hours afterwards.

The general principal makes sense assuming there is nothing hidden.

Arizona of course has a lot more sun and more evenly spread between summer and winter. And a lot of space.

Translate that to Scotland, the stored energy would be much less and would not get you past Eastenders.

In a Scottish location you would to serve the same number of people need much more land and much more equipment. And whilst in the Summer you would be quids in, during the winter another issue.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

... I believe the justification was that it was essentially energy that would have been wasted so even a relatively high loss rate was acceptable.
I guess nuclear, solar and wind are just about the only sources for which "use it or lose it" applies. That it costs the same or even less to generate than to idle.
Just about anything else (including hydro) you can usually turn down the wick and save the fuel for later.
Dinorwic is pretty special in that it can be spun up and on full load in perhaps ten seconds as contrasted with two or more minutes for natural gas.
However almost all of the time it is just a big capital investment that sits there doing nothing much except waiting for an emergency to respond to.

During those critical ten seconds conventional plant runs far above its rated average power to meet the surge in demand. Something that can be achieved only temporarily by letting the water level in the boiler fall (but not below the safe limit).

How do I know all this? I used to write applications for patents for electrical inventions before I retired.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:22 am
Account Closed

Wave as well.

i would imagine Coal is not very responsive.

You need a balance, like in anything. I have friends off grid and we are very PV friendly.

Thinking of the one I know most about they have a nice system, PV with Batteries and a diesel as last resort.

They on an individual basis balance their use and supply, we expect a grid to do that for us.

I think the future will move to more decentralized systems. The best fit for Colorado will not be the same as for Scotland.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 7:01 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I think Fried Mars Bar references are now deemed racist.

?

Old Jan 24th 2014, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yummy.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
[Haggis Helper]
It needs all the help it can get!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.