Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well it dämn well should be. I don't know of any other country that is allowed to enter 4 teams, two of which from "countries" which don't have a professional league! I suspect that the only reason other countries tolerate it is that they know that a UK team would be much more of a threat than the four teams that the UK currently enters.
I dont know,the GB football team at the Olympics was a bit of a flop then again it didnt have any scottish players
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
If you really want those nukes - park them on the Thames.
They could become part of the Ox Cam boat race ,I might even watch it for once
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
It was tongue in cheek comment as was Mr Pulaski's .....
I'm not sure which post of mine you think was "tongue in cheek", but just because I tend to be sarcastic doesn't mean I'm not serious. I often use facetious examples, and if you're referring to my "independence for Yorkshire" post, then I did so to make the point that independence for Scotland is every bit as absurd. That you can't see that isn't surprising, but it is still disturbing that you, and about one quarter of the Scottish electorate, have been so badly misled.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:48 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I dont know,the GB football team at the Olympics was a bit of a flop then again it didnt have any scottish players
Ah yes, Scotland. That well known powerhouse of international football.

(Before you make a crack at my province of origin, we've at least been to the later stages of the tournament. Twice ...)
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Ah yes, Scotland. That well known powerhouse of international football. ....
Well there was a reason why Scotland wasn't represented in the GB team!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:54 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Soothsayer ? Are you aware of the penalties for witchcraft in this Kingdom ?
My sayer has never been so soothed, and its the witchcraft that made us the kingdom
we are today.
Nobody has answered my earlier post, what happens to the union flag.
No my soothing doesnt go that far, Ive had no flag vision or apparation, thats why
No scottish independence. EGG ON MY FACE, no chance, just scotch eggs, which I will gobble up with pleasure.
Plus there will be a pro-independence politician that will turn.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well there was a reason why Scotland wasn't represented in the GB team!
Scotland could take Jack Charlton's approach - get a bunch of English players who have some vague Scottish connection to play.

Then they could get to the quarter finals of the world cup, without winning a single game on the way (matches won on penalties count as a draw, for any bitched off Micks lurking around ...)
Old Jan 20th 2014, 7:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuchs01
My sayer has never been so soothed, and its the witchcraft that made us the kingdom
we are today.
Nobody has answered my earlier post, what happens to the union flag.
No my soothing doesnt go that far, Ive had no flag vision or apparation, thats why
No scottish independence. EGG ON MY FACE, no chance, just scotch eggs, which I will gobble up with pleasure.
Plus there will be a pro-independence politician that will turn.
Keep up, it was addressed earlier in the thread.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:25 pm

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Keep up, it was addressed earlier in the thread.
Yup so it was, but it was the last day of the year, I was too busy, hanging out the
Cross of St George, and presenting my neighbour with a st andrews, after she glasgow kissed her garden post.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
How would Scotland get Sterling? Some sort of barter economy?
At its simplest, by buying pounds in the ordinary commercial foreign exchange market for whatever Scotland has that it can sell.

They could so-called dollarise their money, (that does not mean use dollars) it just means using the money of another country. Ecuador does that, the US dollar is simply used in Ecuador.
The disadvantage of dollarising for any country, is that national money in circulation is, in effect, an interest-free loan from the people to the country. So Scotland would be, in effect, giving the UK an interest-free loan equivalent to the amount of money in circulation.

Some place, like Isle of Man and Gibraltar issue their own pounds which is exchanged, on demand, at 1 for 1 (par). That partly fixes the issue, though in practice both currencies circulate as a mixture.

But, and this is the rub, Scotland would not be allowed into the EU without adopting the Euro. That is the rule and Spain will veto any request for a waiver.

If Scotland cannot be in the EU because it does not want to adopt the Euro then the other option is to try to join EFTA, with Norway and Iceland. (Although Iceland is negotiating to leave EFTA and join EU at some point in the future). As an EFTA member Scotland would have its own currency, the Scottish pound.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:51 pm

Wink Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by holly_1948
At its simplest, by buying pounds in the ordinary commercial foreign exchange market for whatever Scotland has that it can sell.

They could so-called dollarise their money, (that does not mean use dollars) it just means using the money of another country. Ecuador does that, the US dollar is simply used in Ecuador.
The disadvantage of dollarising for any country, is that national money in circulation is, in effect, an interest-free loan from the people to the country. So Scotland would be, in effect, giving the UK an interest-free loan equivalent to the amount of money in circulation.

Some place, like Isle of Man and Gibraltar issue their own pounds which is exchanged, on demand, at 1 for 1 (par). That partly fixes the issue, though in practice both currencies circulate as a mixture.

But, and this is the rub, Scotland would not be allowed into the EU without adopting the Euro. That is the rule and Spain will veto any request for a waiver.

If Scotland cannot be in the EU because it does not want to adopt the Euro then the other option is to try to join EFTA, with Norway and Iceland. (Although Iceland is negotiating to leave EFTA and join EU at some point in the future). As an EFTA member Scotland would have its own currency, the Scottish pound.
Well, thee art wasted in the dales lass, but then others mourn thy absence.
THOU shalt remain, in midst of other woe
Than ours,a friend to man, to whom thou say'st
"Beauty is truth, truth is beauty, -that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know"
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

We could petition Washington to become a new state in the Union, like Sicily did in 1945. And if they refuse we could sign up with the Confederacy.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:33 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read the white paper. It's a load of half baked predictions and assumptions.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by civilservant
I've just read the white paper. It's a load of half baked predictions and assumptions.
And apparently even 40% of the residents of Scotland can see that!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 21st 2014 at 11:10 am.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 11:23 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Did you read the whole thing? It's 100's of pages! I started reading it, and then lost the will to live at about page 50, and read the summary report instead (can't recall now, but I think it was about 70 pp.)

Even within the full report, if you seek out sections on particular aspects, the detailed rationale of how things will work doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

To an extent, some of this is understandable - there are many unknowns about how things would work following independence. However, the breezy "It'll all be fine" attitude and complete unwillingness to accept that anything might be less than perfect is unsettling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.