Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

ROKU & English Premier League

ROKU & English Premier League

Old Aug 6th 2015, 4:49 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ROKU & English Premier League

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Well of course you need internet, that's how roku works. Or do you mean is it like ESPN where they let you stream as long as your internet provider has paid up?

If you're wondering, my set up is DirectTV for TV, Cox cable for internet and Ooma for phone.
My assumption is that you need cable TV access (or its directTV equivalent to get NBC sports), that you have paid up for the channel.
I was using cable as a generic for paid TV, I see that caused some confusion.

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 6th 2015 at 4:51 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 4:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I assume that you need a cable account to get the games to play in the app on the Roku. It wouldn't just play the games for free would it? Although there seems to be no advantage to have it play on Roku, rather than just regular cable TV. Can we have some clarification Mr Lansbury?
It is NBC Live Extra which is normally free over the internet, and as far as I could tell is a free channel on the ROKU. I downloaded it to my ROKU for free.

I can get the games on DirecTV which show the live extra feed on separate channels for each game. The advantage is I can record on DirecTV which saves me having to get up at 4am (PDT) for the midday UK kick offs. No extra charge on DirecTV for the EPL channels comes with the packages which get NBC Sports Network, which is most of the basic packages.

For those that don't have cable or satellite and watched Live Extra on a computer a ROKU would enable them to watch on their TV a bit easier.

Being a staunch Watford fan for over 50 years the fact they are back in the top flight, for however short a time, means I get to see every game in a season for the first time since 2005.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 5:06 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
It is NBC Live Extra which is normally free over the internet, and as far as I could tell is a free channel on the ROKU. I downloaded it to my ROKU for free.

I can get the games on DirecTV which show the live extra feed on separate channels for each game. The advantage is I can record on DirecTV which saves me having to get up at 4am (PDT) for the midday UK kick offs. No extra charge on DirecTV for the EPL channels comes with the packages which get NBC Sports Network, which is most of the basic packages.

For those that don't have cable or satellite and watched Live Extra on a computer a ROKU would enable them to watch on their TV a bit easier.

Being a staunch Watford fan for over 50 years the fact they are back in the top flight, for however short a time, means I get to see every game in a season for the first time since 2005.
Thanks.

When I have looked at NBC Live Extra on the internet, it lets me watch some shows, and asks me to sign in for others. I have no cable TV account.

*Is there NBC Sports Live Extra content available without a cable, satellite or telco TV subscription?
Yes, you can continue to visit www.nbcsports.com to access event clips, highlights, and expert commentary without a Pay TV subscription.

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 6th 2015 at 5:09 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be the same as espn, it is free as long as you have an authenticated cable account.

NBC Sports

Q: What is required for access to view "Live Streaming" video content?
A: You can access live streams of EVERY NBCSports event on NBC & NBCSN by authenticating with a cable, satellite or telco TV subscription that includes NBCSN. There is no additional charge for this service, simply login to NBCSports Live Extra using the Username and Password you use on your providers website.
If you do not have, or do not know your Login information contact your service provider.
I assume it is the same with the roku.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 6:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

When I have looked at NBC Live Extra on the internet, it lets me watch some shows, and asks me to sign in for others. I have no cable TV account.
I'll check on Saturday and see if the ROKU wants a log in to watch a game.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 11:44 pm
Banned

ellio is an unknown quantity at this point

roku have no customer support. I had their radio player when the company just started. When i needed a new remote i was told the company had moved on and sorry.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 3:59 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting news if you don't have cable, NBC will be airing live matches on the USA Network channel as well as on NBC: USA Network to air weekly Premier League matches starting Saturday - Planet Futbol - SI.com
Old Aug 7th 2015, 3:59 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellio
roku have no customer support. I had their radio player when the company just started. When i needed a new remote i was told the company had moved on and sorry.
I had similar issues and ended up taking it back.

I bought an Apple TV and it does the job.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

OhioLiz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll check on Saturday and see if the ROKU wants a log in to watch a game.
We had to validate our account after loading the app--a code appeared on screen to enter online. It's similar to the WatchEspn validation if you've ever done that one (every few months or so we get prompted to validate, enter a code online at the Roku site then enter our TWC login info).

Thanks OP for this Roku info
Old Aug 8th 2015, 4:02 pm

My assumption is that you need cable TV access (or its directTV equivalent to get NBC sports), that you have paid up for the channel.
I was using cable as a generic for paid TV, I see that caused some confusion.
Yes you do I had to validate my DirecTV account before I could actually watch a game. A shame as it's not as useful as it appeared it would be.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you do I had to validate my DirecTV account before I could actually watch a game. A shame as it's not as useful as it appeared it would be.
I logged in with my Cox details yesterday (Internet only account) which worked . I'd be watching a game right now if young sir wasn't watching dinosaur train.

Hmm. Just wrestled the remote off him. The app is showing highlights no live games, surely Chelsea are playing right now?

Last edited by sir_eccles; Aug 8th 2015 at 4:22 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 6:37 pm

It's the Live Extra feed on the app. Chelsea were on the main NBC channel.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I got to watch the mighty Villa destroy Bournemouth (sort of....... well not really)'on my TV rather than my iPad. Finally, Roku has some use rather than just being some sort of weird ornament.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Argh!

So the young sir is napping and I finally have the TV to myself.

It looks like there is a problem. I can log in with my Cox id and it shows me highlights etc. I can log in with my DirectTv id and I can watch full games.

Damn you big media!
Old Aug 10th 2015, 12:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
I got to watch the mighty Villa destroy Bournemouth (sort of....... well not really)'on my TV rather than my iPad. Finally, Roku has some use rather than just being some sort of weird ornament.
I love my Roku.

Currently enjoying George Gently. I had no idea about this series. It is my new evening entertainment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.