Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Ridiculous situation involving daughter

Ridiculous situation involving daughter

Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ridiculous situation involving daughter

Originally Posted by lansbury
You can arrest a child without the parents present you can't talk to them without a parent of responsible adult present. This took place in a school, in whose care the child was, I'm assuming a teacher of other staff member was present. The staff should certainly have informed the parents straightaway but I would think the officer is OK to speak to the child in those circumstances. Especially as it was the school liaison officer. ....
"Speak to", maybe, but question, and "convict", which in turn opened up a can of worms for civil actions, hell no!
.... In the circumstances as described it has to be one of the most iffy arrests imaginable from the point of view of finding an offence.
No kidding!
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:59 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Lawyer up. **** them and **** the idiot school for allowing this to happen. I would be going CRAZY with lawyers against them if this was my child in this situation. I would sue the family of the kid for every emotional distress possible.

This is outrageous.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:03 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, the question is whether "lawyering up" and going all out after the school and the other family will make things uncomfortable for your child who has to go to the school every day. Is there an alternate school she could attend, or would that fall into the category of punishing the victim by separating her from her friends? So sorry you have been placed in such an untenable situation.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:11 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Of course, the question is whether "lawyering up" and going all out after the school and the other family will make things uncomfortable for your child who has to go to the school every day. Is there an alternate school she could attend, or would that fall into the category of punishing the victim by separating her from her friends? So sorry you have been placed in such an untenable situation.
The child is being punished regardless. The child's back needs protecting (as it were), and if ensuring nasty, vexatious, shits like this other family feel the full force of repercussions from their actions then so be it.

I appreciate the whole situation is an absolute mess, and it must be horrid for all those involved - especially the innocent child who is guilty of nothing more than being a CHILD and watching a video - but as the saying goes, attack is the best form of defence.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:12 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Speak to", maybe, but question, and "convict", which in turn opened up a can of worms for civil actions, hell no!
Yes speak to, question and issue a citation all acceptable as long as there is a responsible adult present.

Where the officer may come unstuck as to the questioning being admissible to support the citation is if the school made the complaint and called in the police. Then the position of the staff member/teacher present to act as the responsible adult acting in the child's interest is gravely compromised IMHO.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:14 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
This is my concern. She has some very good friends at the school, and it would be punishing her to withdraw her from the school. My fight instinct is for the injustice of it all, however, it's not me who has to go and face it every day. I was willing to allow the classes, so this can all just get put behind her, but the money claim is just going too far. Luckily, they are in the final year, and leave for high school in early June. Sadly, the girl will be going to the same school, I would say and hopefully she'll move on to someone else, but I don't really want anyone else to go through this. Thankfully my kid is a tough cookie, and doesn't really give a shit what this girl says about her, however, she is rightly pissed that she has landed in so much trouble over nothing.

I can't believe a family would push their kid as far as this action, I think it's her mum stirring it all up, and from comments I'm hearing from other parents along the lines of "just stay away from that kid, she's a trouble maker", her life's not going to get much easier. Even the probation officer said to my husband this morning, tell your daughter to stay away from this girl and her family, they're poison.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:21 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I really do believe a consultation with a lawyer is needed. You could in all good faith do something which could amount to an admission on your daughters part. Attending the classes or paying the money without something which says that doing so is not an admission of guilt etc may not be in your best interests.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

I have kids of the same age and I really feel for you. It doesn't seem like your daughter did anything wrong. How can they arrest her for talking to other kids? Would they have arrested her if she had told you what had happened? There is no way I'd be able to let this go, it just seems so wrong.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I really do believe a consultation with a lawyer is needed. You could in all good faith do something which could amount to an admission on your daughters part. .....
I think she already has.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:25 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I really do believe a consultation with a lawyer is needed. You could in all good faith do something which could amount to an admission on your daughters part. Attending the classes or paying the money without something which says that doing so is not an admission of guilt etc may not be in your best interests.
We already double checked on that, and it's in the paperwork that attending the classes is not an admission of guilt.

What kind of lawyer would even deal with something like this?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by N1cky
We already double checked on that, and it's in the paperwork that attending the classes is not an admission of guilt.

What kind of lawyer would even deal with something like this?
Generic local law firm, not an injury/ workers comp, or traffic lawyer, but one that does family law, and low-level criminal defence. .... Look for a local firm with several partners that advertise a range of services.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:34 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Lawyer up, depending on whether it will cost more than $340. In middle school one of the kids posted something nasty about my son's friend online. My son's friend asked my son if he had seen it - it was on Facebook and he said yes. My sons friend told the teacher what had been posted and my son was called down to confirm what it was. They asked him to log in so they could see it. That was the end of the story, although 'the poster' got ISS if I remember correctly and not longer after moved to another school. Seeing something is not the same as reposting, commenting, sharing etc. and if 100 kids saw it then it should be $680/100. Also Facebook (for example) can be set up to play videos automatically - what are you supposed to do? What a crock of **** honestly.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Generic local law firm, not an injury/ workers comp, or traffic lawyer, but one that does family law, and low-level criminal defence. .... Look for a local firm with several partners that advertise a range of services.
Yep, agreed. Go to a law firm that practices family law and sue the ****ing joseph out of this evil family.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I would consult a lawyer and possibly counter sue as your child, through this child's actions is now being defamed and bullied. Your child will forever be marked down as bully even when she moves to high school even if she completes the requirements being demanded. The school police dept will have her on their books as a troublemaker so she will constantly watched over for the rest of her school life. It may seem like it is over the top but it is real problem in US schools these days, that a child is effectively criminalised for doing stuff kids have been doing since time began.
The bigger question is why are there police in schools anyway? At least our school district got rid of the orange jumpsuits they made them wear when we first arrived here in 2000. To say I was shocked is to put it mildly.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:51 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

As a side note I can't think of a single site that tells you 'who' has seen a video that is posted. It might tell you the view count but not who has seen it - I asked The Dude he said he couldn't think of one either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.