Return to the site

Old Aug 16th 2020, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Return to the site

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not first, no - after you enter.

I know you’re a US citizen but wasn’t the suggestion for you to explore your possible Hungarian citizenship so that you could move to the UK before we left the EU? It’ll be so much tougher after that.
Hello again
I vaguely remember the full conversation. Something about getting a Hungarian passport because my grandfather came from there and the rules for entry to England is easier with a European passport than it is with an American passport. Is that correct?
Old Aug 16th 2020, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
Hello again
I vaguely remember the full conversation. Something about getting a Hungarian passport because my grandfather came from there and the rules for entry to England is easier with a European passport than it is with an American passport. Is that correct?
Yes, but it’s probably too late now - your window of opportunity for that route ends on 31st December when the UK Brexit transition period ends. After that, freedom of movement for EU citizens wishing to move to the UK (and vice versa) ends.

So unless you can get your Hungarian citizenship sorted and be resident in the UK by the end of the year (unlikely I’m assuming), that route’s no longer an option.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

A work visa would allow you to reside in the UK. What do you do and what qualifications do you have? Would you qualify for an employment based visa?
Professionally I am a bookkeeper/accountant.
My experience in the field is over nine years.
I’ve done the usual A/P, A/R, Journal Entries and so on.
I also have some experience working in the film industry however I am sure it would not be easy landing a job at Pinewood or Twickenham studios. Plus I don’t know what SAG/Union rules the UK has regarding that profession.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, but it’s probably too late now - your window of opportunity for that route ends on 31st December when the UK Brexit transition period ends. After that, freedom of movement for EU citizens wishing to move to the UK (and vice versa) ends.

So unless you can get your Hungarian citizenship sorted and be resident in the UK by the end of the year (unlikely I’m assuming), that route’s no longer an option.
Someone else mentioned a work visa. What do you think of that as entry into Britain?
Old Aug 16th 2020, 8:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Someone else mentioned a work visa. What do you think of that as entry into Britain?
It’s your only option now from what you’ve said. I can’t imagine a bookkeeper would be likely to qualify or get sponsorship, but if you’re a chartered accountant then it may be more likely. You can see if you may be eligible for any - https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas

HTH.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Professionally I am a bookkeeper/accountant.
My experience in the field is over nine years.
I’ve done the usual A/P, A/R, Journal Entries and so on.
I also have some experience working in the film industry however I am sure it would not be easy landing a job at Pinewood or Twickenham studios. Plus I don’t know what SAG/Union rules the UK has regarding that profession.

The main work visa for the UK is a Tier 2 (general) visa. As far as I am aware, accountants are not on the short list.
https://workpermit.com/immigration/u...pation-list#uk

and you need to find an employer who will sponsor you for such a visa - this is not something you just apply for yourself.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Aug 16th 2020 at 9:14 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:26 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

A side question, a few of the contributors have a weird text when replying, see below.
Is it something wrong on my side or are they using some strange font?
Whats with the squares?

It’s your only option now from what you’ve said. I can’t imagine a bookkeeper would be likely to qualify or get sponsorship, but if you’re a
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:33 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Some devices have trouble with punctuation. I see that sometimes on my iPhone but never on a normal web browser.

I find it a rather charming statement on the problems people seem to have, and their rather loose relationship with, the English language in this day and age.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The main work visa for the UK is a Tier 2 (general) visa. As far as I am aware, accountants are not on the short list.
https://workpermit.com/immigration/u...pation-list#uk

and you need to find an employer who will sponsor you for such a visa - this is not something you just apply for yourself.
Any particular reason why it’s not on the list? Accounting is a good profession.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Any particular reason why it’s not on the list? Accounting is a good profession.
If it's not on the list, it means there's no shortage of people to do the job. It doesn't make a judgement about the 'worth' of any profession.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Look at it as a long term plan. Get a job with one of the big 4 accountancy firms...after you have established yourself try to get a transfer to one of their US offices.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Look at it as a long term plan. Get a job with one of the big 4 accountancy firms...after you have established yourself try to get a transfer to one of their US offices.
Did you mean UK offices?
it’s very hard to get a job with the big four.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If it's not on the list, it means there's no shortage of people to do the job. It doesn't make a judgement about the 'worth' of any profession.
So the fact that they have enough accountants is a reason to deny someone residency in the UK. That’s kind of strange, no? Not a little xenophobic against foreigners?
Old Aug 18th 2020, 1:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So the fact that they have enough accountants is a reason to deny someone residency in the UK. That’s kind of strange, no? Not a little xenophobic against foreigners?
'
Work visas are designed to fill a gap in the local workforce. If accountants were in short supply, they'd be on the list.

You might want to check your understanding of xenophobia.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 1:17 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

o the fact that they have enough accountants is a reason to deny someone residency in the UK. That’s kind of strange, no?
Indeed, I have often thought that it was unfair that the UK doesn't issue Tier 1 visas to binmen too

You have to realize that the UK has no shortage of labor (or did, now) due to the unlimited right of migration from the other EU countries. For that reason, only specific, in shortage, skills would garner a work visa for the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.