Retard (me)

Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:51 pm
Ex Expat

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Retard (me)

Ashamed to admit....it's taken more than 2 yrs. (and 300 posts!) for "the light to go on" in my "noodle".....

I've often thought to myself:
"What in the world are those little boxes and pop up descriptions beneath everyone's forum avatar.....including my own?"
"How do they get there?"
I've only JUST discovered what is obviously obvious - well to everyone but "the retard".
Guess I should pay a visit to my User Control Panel occasionally...
So what's the netiquette?
Should one PM the "thanker" to thank them in return?
Meanwhile....thank you to the nice people who "sent a box of karma" my way.... perhaps in another 2 years I'll cotton on to the mystery of the "golden stars"

Last edited by MMcD; Feb 16th 2014 at 7:08 pm. Reason: added "300 posts" ; - )
Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retard (me)

I guess I'm a retard too, cause I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

markonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

plus the karma box and the smaller boxes either side of it.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer to balance out the good deeds by sending the occasional bit of negative karma. Especially to people like hungryhorace.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:25 pm
Ex Expat

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1 View Post
I guess I'm a retard too, cause I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about
Proportionality please!
You're only a SEMI-retard (unlike me) since you've only been here 1/2 as long.
Plus - you're probably not a retard at all since, unlike me, you're obviously not fixated on trivia.
But, FWIW:
I'm referring to the little blue squares to the left of our posts, beneath where it says:
And I discovered today that they're not just sprouting like magic mushrooms - but are the result of other o-so-grateful-members - sending little and your way (not actual smilies - but acknowlegements in your "user control panel"....which it's taken me 2+ yrs. to explore)

Meanwhile, someone....what's the netiquette - does one thank the thanker?
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:28 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
I prefer to balance out the good deeds by sending the occasional bit of negative karma. Especially to people like hungryhorace.

Wow!
How do you do that?
We need a kick in the bum frowny
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD View Post

Wow!
How do you do that?
We need a kick in the bum frowny
I meant, just send normal karma, but done in an abusive fashion!
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:38 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
I meant, just send normal karma, but done in an abusive fashion!
Is that a good idea?
Karma is (are?) the vibes you send out.
You don't want to invite negative karma to be directed at you.
Or maybe you do
When you're a flamer (which YOU are not)

Last edited by MMcD; Feb 16th 2014 at 9:50 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:02 pm
Ex Expat

.....and now that I'm down in the trivia, how-else-can-I-waste-time weeds
....I've made another discovery (by clicking my own Karma button):
We're also awarded Karma Points!
Now if my checking account had a $ or better yet, given the current exchange rate, a £ for every Karma point in my :account" - I could be on a plane to Bali right now

Who awards those points?
You, Bob?
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Who awards those points?
You, Bob?
Anyone who gives you karma, gives you the points. They more they have, the more you receive.

And no, you don't have to "thank" the poster for giving you some. That's where madness lies, it's like the never ending thank you for the email chain

It's also the equivalent to the "like" and "dislike" button you see on some other forums, but private.

Site rules still apply to karma messages by the way.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:43 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Anyone who gives you karma, gives you the points. They more they have, the more you receive.
And no, you don't have to "thank" the poster for giving you some. That's where madness lies, it's like the never ending thank you for the email chain
It's also the equivalent to the "like" and "dislike" button you see on some other forums, but private.
Site rules still apply to karma messages by the way.
aha...got it...thanks
But "inquiring minds" still want to know:
Whence cometh the gold stars?
Remember: This poster is a denizen of pie-in-the-sky - LA LA land - the nirvana where streets are embedded with golden s......
Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I see the little boxes but I didn't actually think they meant anything. I thought they were just for decoration. I'm still none the wiser .

Ok, I just clicked on a karma button. I get it.

Last edited by markonline1; Feb 16th 2014 at 11:53 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

aha...got it...thanks
But "inquiring minds" still want to know:
Whence cometh the gold stars?
Remember: This poster is a denizen of pie-in-the-sky - LA LA land - the nirvana where streets are embedded with golden s......
I think they are to do with how many posts you've written. People who've posted more have more stars and newbies start out with none or one...I think. That was the only thing I could work it out as.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

....I've made another discovery (by clicking my own Karma button):
We're also awarded Karma Points!

I don't think you can give yourself karma. I just tried, haha. It just told me how many points I have.

I never think to look at the karma thing or who has given me karma.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver View Post
I think they are to do with how many posts you've written. People who've posted more have more stars and newbies start out with none or one...I think. That was the only thing I could work it out as.
You are correct.

It's in the FAQ, somewhere on the site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.