Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Remind me why we moved to the states?!

Wikiposts

Remind me why we moved to the states?!

Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:55 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remind me why we moved to the states?!

Originally Posted by Burn1911
ski, hike, bike, camp, etc...... whenever we want, we live in the foothills of the beautiful cascade mountains, we have mountains one side and sea on the other - It really is a beautiful part of the world.
well this is my big problem (dont ski or bike, so skip over them)
but do hike (walk as we said in the UK) and camp

and West Washington just doesnt live up to the UK
In the UK you could get great views after an hours walk, here its at the end of 4 or 5 hours, got to get above the bloody trees.
UK could camp just about anywhere, tolerated if not legal or encouraged (except for shooting deer time)
Here in the Cascades you need a hammock to swing between the trees, if you get out of the trees, then you've got bloody bears to worry about. Cant drink water from a stream because of bleeding giardia.
Parks restrict where you can camp and have permits.
In the UK a bit of snow and you could get the crampons and ice axe out, what with UK mild weather, freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw, could make slight snow-fall fun to climb.
Here its snow on top of soft snow, good for skiers, but thats not me.

I have compromised and got some snow shoes and that is fun

The thing I miss more than anything is the UK mountains
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:58 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Why do Brits love this phrase so much? No American says that.

While I'm at it, what's up with:
- British obsession with driving Rt. 66? It doesn't even exist any more and it was an endless, mind-numbing tour of desolate scrubland and strip malls in the best of times.
- British obsession with the movie "Bullitt" and Mustangs? Fer Crissake, the Mustang wasn't even as cool as the bad guy's car, the black Charger.
- British love of "Sgt. Bilko" while exhibiting basic ignorance of "Seinfeld"?
- The general lack of British appreciation for Weird Al Yankovic?
I like weird al

I am exceptionally miserable about being in this country today but only because I have a crappy job, not earning any money and cant afford the outragious new plan that tmobile are trying to con me into!!!!!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:12 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Another canard is that Islamists call us "Infidels". They don't. They might call us kufar. But they don't call us infidels.
but the problem with Kafir (or kufar as you put it) is that it is now a south african racist term for someone who is black. (aint language funny how a terms meaning can change when handed from one culture to another)

and isnt infidel the anglisied version of Kafir? (non beliver) its just how it translates.

It could end up a right can of worms

(not to mention your assumptions about the use of "us")

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Stella Artois.

Oh hang on.......
you realized that lager isnt proper beer just in time

Originally Posted by Tom60
I had Watney's Stout a few times, and it wasn't bad. But, at around $9 per 6-pack, it's just not worth it. That import duty is a killer.
I had no idea that they still brewed Watneys, Do they still do Red Barrel ?

Originally Posted by Hiro11
- British love of "Sgt. Bilko"
Thats something that the American public should be confronted with, shame, shame on them if they do not fully appreciated Sgt Bilko;

Last edited by kimilseung; Jan 28th 2010 at 10:28 am.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I have never seen Bullitt? or Sgt Bilko
Both good!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea that they still brewed Watneys, Do they still do Red Barrel ?
I believe they do, although I haven't had it in years. What I had was Cream Stout. It was ok, nice and frothy, went down smooth, with kind of a coffee taste.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:03 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
well this is my big problem (dont ski or bike, so skip over them)
but do hike (walk as we said in the UK) and camp

and West Washington just doesnt live up to the UK
In the UK you could get great views after an hours walk, here its at the end of 4 or 5 hours, got to get above the bloody trees.
UK could camp just about anywhere, tolerated if not legal or encouraged (except for shooting deer time)
Here in the Cascades you need a hammock to swing between the trees, if you get out of the trees, then you've got bloody bears to worry about. Cant drink water from a stream because of bleeding giardia.
Parks restrict where you can camp and have permits.
In the UK a bit of snow and you could get the crampons and ice axe out, what with UK mild weather, freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw, could make slight snow-fall fun to climb.
Here its snow on top of soft snow, good for skiers, but thats not me.

I have compromised and got some snow shoes and that is fun

The thing I miss more than anything is the UK mountains
This deserves some kind of award.

Can't see the view for the trees...
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:14 am
He/him

I believe they do, although I haven't had it in years. What I had was Cream Stout. It was ok, nice and frothy, went down smooth, with kind of a coffee taste.
Mention of Watneys made me think how I missed a pint of "Mackie Mix" (Mackeson and Mild) from back home, then realised that it was pretty hard to find a pint of Mild before I left the UK anyway, just a case of nostalgia rather than anything to do with the UK
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Pancake batter in an aerosol can! Genius!

I was actually kind of when I first saw it, but I actually think it'd be great for camping.
Did you know that "it would be great for camping" is considered the kiss of death statement for a new product?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that Thomas Hardy's is among the best, but also extremely expensive. I could be mistaken, but it seems I heard it costs something like $10 for a pint bottle. I've never seen it, nor known anyone who's seen it.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:57 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I must confess, those spray-on pancakes make me proud to be an American.

Without a doubt, they have got to taste better than this:

Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Did you know that "it would be great for camping" is considered the kiss of death statement for a new product?
Is it like 'big in Japan'?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've heard that Thomas Hardy's is among the best, but also extremely expensive. I could be mistaken, but it seems I heard it costs something like $10 for a pint bottle. I've never seen it, nor known anyone who's seen it.
I take that back. It's $27.39 for an 8oz bottle.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:10 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
This deserves some kind of award.

Can't see the view for the trees...
if prior to living in the USA you've done all your hiking in the Lake District/Snowdonia/Scottish Highlands than you know exactly what he means. I'm only an hour from the Catskills and go hiking there frequently but I really miss the UK mountains too.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:13 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I must confess, those spray-on pancakes make me proud to be an American.[/URL]
The guy who invented the spray pancake mix was on NPR last week. Made his first million on the product within a couple of months. Took decades to find backers to support the idea. The fact that they're "organic" is true, but simply used to justify the extra price of buying 10 pancakes in a spray can

We love'em in this family!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

brit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to all

To get away from the weather?
Although that is so not true of where I am right now - we are having very untypical AZ weather - completely takes me back to Blighty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.