Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Remind me why we moved to the states?!

Wikiposts

Remind me why we moved to the states?!

Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:23 am
Just Joined

loftedfalcon will become famous soon enoughloftedfalcon will become famous soon enough
Question Remind me why we moved to the states?!

Remind me please, someone......

Once upon a time, long long ago I remember thinking about the American dream. America was painted as being this wonderful place full of opportunity, wide open space, more quality goods and tools than you could shake a stick at. Silicon Valley, Microsoft and Apple hinted at all the cutting edge technology there and there was talk about how cheap things were and how you paid a smaller rate of tax.

I finally met my, future wife when she studied for a semester at a college just up the road from me in England and she was the stereo typical college girl, attractive, fit, played loads of sport, tanned and healthy. Obviously one thing led to another and we're very happily married and still deeply in love.

The problem is that I clearly took old Blighty for granted. The more I learn about the states the more disillusioned I get as pretty much everything that I emigrate for, and I hasten to separate my wife and new family from this, isn't how i'd always imagined.

The cost of healthcare is astonishing to say the least as is the system that is used to decide who pays what and to what level and the difference in cost seems to be guessed at instead of worked out by some calculation.

Taxation is horrendously complicated, what does it all mean?!! Why?!!

Technology, in particular, electronics seems to be only a little more expensive but is behind Europe for some reason. I'm based in Kansas I should point out, and i'm told that things like that are actually cheaper here as on the coast the cost is far far more. The tv "bundle" was huge compared to the cost of Sky or Virgin and the programs are much worse. Why is this so? Don't even get me started about the cost of telephones, both home and cell.
Why are these everyday thing so much more expensive than England. It just doesnt make sense.

Work is obviously going to be mentioned here too but not the lack of it, Which there is, but the fact that everyone works so much and has such a small amount of holiday (vacation) time. Couple that with the far higher travel costs for Americans and the way that people don't get much time to spend together and you might be able to see my point.

What do people class as the better things about America? I'd be interested to hear them.
I know that i'm wingeing and it's because I've lost my way a little. What things should I be looking with fresh eyes at?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:43 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remind me why we moved to the states?!

We have spray pancakes. And they're organic.

http://www.batterblaster.com/tv.html

http://www.consumerreports.org/healt...ancakes-ov.htm
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:46 am
Just Joined

loftedfalcon will become famous soon enoughloftedfalcon will become famous soon enough

hahahahahaha
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:02 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

you forgot the maple syrup.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loftedfalcon
Because not too long from now he will be the Head of State and she will be by his side.........
Attached Thumbnails Remind me why we moved to the states?!-charles_a_lg.jpg  

Last edited by Zonie; Jan 28th 2010 at 2:04 am.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

What on earth?!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:15 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
What on earth?!
Pancake batter in an aerosol can! Genius!

I was actually kind of when I first saw it, but I actually think it'd be great for camping.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:21 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

...ed in Kansas I shou...
Oh dear!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

You are here because you have a better life GODDAMMIT!!! how many more times...
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

You Yanks never cease to amaze with with your ingenuity!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Once upon a time, long long ago I remember thinking about the American dream. America was painted as being this wonderful place full of opportunity, wide open space, more quality goods and tools than you could shake a stick at. Silicon Valley, Microsoft and Apple hinted at all the cutting edge technology there and there was talk about how cheap things were and how you paid a smaller rate of tax.

I finally met my, future wife when she studied for a semester at a college just up the road from me in England and she was the stereo typical college girl, attractive, fit, played loads of sport, tanned and healthy. Obviously one thing led to another and we're very happily married and still deeply in love.

The problem is that I clearly took old Blighty for granted. The more I learn about the states the more disillusioned I get as pretty much everything that I emigrate for, and I hasten to separate my wife and new family from this, isn't how i'd always imagined.

The cost of healthcare is astonishing to say the least as is the system that is used to decide who pays what and to what level and the difference in cost seems to be guessed at instead of worked out by some calculation.

Taxation is horrendously complicated, what does it all mean?!! Why?!!

Technology, in particular, electronics seems to be only a little more expensive but is behind Europe for some reason. I'm based in Kansas I should point out, and i'm told that things like that are actually cheaper here as on the coast the cost is far far more. The tv "bundle" was huge compared to the cost of Sky or Virgin and the programs are much worse. Why is this so? Don't even get me started about the cost of telephones, both home and cell.
Why are these everyday thing so much more expensive than England. It just doesnt make sense.

Work is obviously going to be mentioned here too but not the lack of it, Which there is, but the fact that everyone works so much and has such a small amount of holiday (vacation) time. Couple that with the far higher travel costs for Americans and the way that people don't get much time to spend together and you might be able to see my point.

What do people class as the better things about America? I'd be interested to hear them.
I know that i'm wingeing and it's because I've lost my way a little. What things should I be looking with fresh eyes at?
Haha... pshyce!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
You are here because you have a better life GODDAMMIT!!! how many more times...
Nurse, boost the electrodes!!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:43 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

ABY - where do you find this stuff!!! I agree would be genius for camping!!!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Nurse, boost the electrodes!!
exactly!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:57 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

I think alot of it depends on where you are in the Good 'Ol US of A - personally here in the PNW I couldn't be happier, our life has improved tenfold....

We can ski, hike, bike, camp, etc...... whenever we want, we live in the foothills of the beautiful cascade mountains, we have mountains one side and sea on the other - It really is a beautiful part of the world.

We have also embraced the opportunity to travel as much as possible within the USA to see as much as we can, it is an amazingly diverse country - scenery and people

But it is totally a personal thing, I can honestly say that I DON'T miss England at all, not sure why I don't but maybe just because I am at home here! Try taking a trip somewhere pretty - even just for a day!!!! get out in the fresh air and hug some trees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.