Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Remind me why we moved to the states?!

Wikiposts

Remind me why we moved to the states?!

Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:15 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remind me why we moved to the states?!

Originally Posted by Burn1911
the Good 'Ol US of A
Why do Brits love this phrase so much? No American says that.

While I'm at it, what's up with:
- British obsession with driving Rt. 66? It doesn't even exist any more and it was an endless, mind-numbing tour of desolate scrubland and strip malls in the best of times.
- British obsession with the movie "Bullitt" and Mustangs? Fer Crissake, the Mustang wasn't even as cool as the bad guy's car, the black Charger.
- British love of "Sgt. Bilko" while exhibiting basic ignorance of "Seinfeld"?
- The general lack of British appreciation for Weird Al Yankovic?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:28 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Rt. 66? It doesn't even exist any more
oh yes it does - I've seen Cars, like, 50 times
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:40 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

- British obsession with driving Rt. 66? It doesn't even exist any more and it was an endless, mind-numbing tour of desolate scrubland and strip malls in the best of times.
- British obsession with the movie "Bullitt" and Mustangs? Fer Crissake, the Mustang wasn't even as cool as the bad guy's car, the black Charger.
Well it is just a phrase - and not sure that the Brits love it, I just used it - apologies if you find it offensive...

And as for the generalisation on the Brits loving Sgt Bilko, that's like generalising that all Americans love "Benny Hill" - some do some don't, personally I think there are better English comedians out there
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty good at generalising the 'brits' there, I have never seen Bullitt? or Sgt Bilko
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't

- British obsession with driving Rt. 66? It doesn't even exist any more and it was an endless, mind-numbing tour of desolate scrubland and strip malls in the best of times. I don't know any Brit who has wanted to do this!

I hate Mustangs and have never seen or heard of Bullitt

who?

eh?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Fer Crissake, the Mustang wasn't even as cool as the bad guy's car
I beg to differ.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 7:36 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
I beg to differ.
I'm with Hiro on this
Old Jan 28th 2010, 7:58 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Burn1911

But it is totally a personal thing, I can honestly say that I DON'T miss England at all, not sure why I don't but maybe just because I am at home here!
Hubby is this way too. The only things he truly misses about Blighty are 'things' - his ol' kebab wagon and decent beer. (Oh and his mum and best friend of course!) Beyond that, he has no desire to ever return to England.

Its very subjective and I don't think you're wrong for feeling the way you do (nor is he wrong for loving it here). Anyone who paints the US as the land of milk and honey is an idiot. It isn't - we have just as many problems as Blighty, just in different areas.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Hubby is this way too. The only things he truly misses about Blighty are 'things' - his ol' kebab wagon and decent beer. (Oh and his mum and best friend of course!) Beyond that, he has no desire to ever return to England.

Its very subjective and I don't think you're wrong for feeling the way you do (nor is he wrong for loving it here). Anyone who paints the US as the land of milk and honey is an idiot. It isn't - we have just as many problems as Blighty, just in different areas.
Speaking of beer, what's a good "genuine" British beer available in the US?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:12 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

- British obsession with calling British police officers "Bobbies", nobody over there has called them that since about WWII
- American obsession with the movies of Hugh Grant.
- American love of "Benny Hill" while exhibiting basic ignorance the dozens of British comedy shows that are vastly superior?
- The general lack of American appreciation for Bill Hicks?
Fixed that for you
Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:13 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom60
Stella Artois.

Oh hang on.......
Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:13 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

I guess it depends on where you live. Hubby's favorite is London Pride but he's had a hell of a time finding it around here. He found some once when we were on a mini vacation about 5 hours away - but can't really justify that drive just for beer! LOL The 'big' brew store in Nashville has a space on the shelf for it but said they don't get it in very often. They had others but of course he is stuck on Pride.

We're able to buy Boddingtons at our local Publix store but that's about the only one we find with regularity.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

I had Watney's Stout a few times, and it wasn't bad. But, at around $9 per 6-pack, it's just not worth it. That import duty is a killer.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:32 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

The Good Ol' US of A. I know. I know. Farking cretins.
I can't stand the use of "gas guzzler". Whenever SUVs are mentioned in the British press, or by the moronic British public in general, it's gas guzzler this, 4x4 that.
What the fark is a 4x4 anyway?

Another canard is that Islamists call us "Infidels". They don't. They might call us kufar. But they don't call us infidels.

To the OP, sounds like you're having a shitty life. If I were living that miserably, I'd pack it all in and move back to UK asap.

And yes, the Dodge Charger rocked.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:42 am
Time Lord

If you have a branch of World Market nearby, you might want to give them a try. They usually have a good selection of British beers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.