Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

A question to all you Brits from a Yank.....

A question to all you Brits from a Yank.....

Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:09 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question to all you Brits from a Yank.....

Originally Posted by Bob
stockport...it's what gounds the great man....though I can't speak as I support Oxford united, equally pants
we lost today and had a player sent off.

seasons greetings my arse.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:09 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from the legalities of getting a work permit and visa for the UK, have you looked at the cost of living in the UK? That could kill you, especially with the Dollar being so weak.

I'm not even talking about the exorbitant cost of living in London either...
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight1979
I imagine most of all Yanks in the UK are in high finance from NYC or in energy....which probably explains why there are so many Brits in Houston.

I'm in neither of these fields......marriage is my best bet.
plenty over on art based sponsorships working for media companies, and also software industries...
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:13 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Aside from the legalities of getting a work permit and visa for the UK, have you looked at the cost of living in the UK? That could kill you, especially with the Dollar being so weak.
luckily, when you live in England, you earn pounds.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
The process was not that difficult for me, just time consuming. I'm not sure what the requirements for a yank working in the UK are, but for me to get a job here in the US I was able to take the H1B route. A job offer (and a sponsor) and a degree was all I needed (oh, and about £3000 in attorneys fee's - but I could have probably done without the attorney had I known then what I know now). The biggest obstacle is finding someone to sponsor you, who is also willing to wait the long period it takes to complete the paperwork and jump through the hoops for USCIS. I started out in a small town in Texas, so the employer had genuine problems finding a US citizen who could fill the position.
I'm now married to a yank; but that is not how I originally arrived.
UK side ain't cheap, but it is a matter of a couple of weeks once the employer puts the paperwork though. It's pretty easy. Know a few people that got sponsored working at small media companies, like really small, so it's not always the big places that'll sponsor someone.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Manc
we lost today and had a player sent off.

seasons greetings my arse.
That's rough. We finally won a game, hardly worth dancing over though, it was 1-0 against Crawley. We've been getting hammered on a regular basis though.

Win the league, my arse, I'd be happy if we don't get booted even further into the waste lands.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Knight1979 will become famous soon enoughKnight1979 will become famous soon enough

The closest I came to getting abroad was for a french company called Shneider Electric. They offered localization programs where you go work somewhere for two years and actually get paid in the local currency. I was contacted about a position in Grenoble, France but it didn't work out. That sort of program would be ideal however they are very hard to come by.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:23 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

luckily, when you live in England, you earn pounds.

There is a side effect of the weak dollar -- the salary used to calculate points for the HSMP is in pounds. The change in value of the dollar is enough to have knocked me out of that category unless I finish my master's degree. Of course, I have another way in, but.... not everyone does.

(Marriage to an EU citizen; if he resides in the UK, so can I, as well as work, but it's not easy or free!)
Old Dec 26th 2007, 3:10 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to research the requirements for obtaining a skilled migrant visa, which would allow you to work where you like without the employer needing to sponsor you.

You don't get all the benefits of full residency (no free NHS access, etc.), but you could work where you like, or start your own venture if you so choose. It takes a while to get it and you need to have enough funds to prove that you can be self-supporting for a time, but it's probably easier than going the sponsorship route.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:22 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
You might want to research the requirements for obtaining a skilled migrant visa, which would allow you to work where you like without the employer needing to sponsor you.

You don't get all the benefits of full residency (no free NHS access, etc.), but you could work where you like, or start your own venture if you so choose. It takes a while to get it and you need to have enough funds to prove that you can be self-supporting for a time, but it's probably easier than going the sponsorship route.
Not sure what you mean. Anyone who is legally resident in the UK, even those on temporary non-tourist visas, are eligible to use the NHS.

Even tourists are treated free for true emergencies.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:14 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Not sure what you mean. Anyone who is legally resident in the UK, even those on temporary non-tourist visas, are eligible to use the NHS.

Even tourists are treated free for true emergencies.
You're right, I misspoke in respect to NHS.

Last I checked, one using the highly skilled migrant visa can't go on the dole, etc. (which makes sense.) The expectation is that you use your qualifications and, if you have one, your MBA from a top school to work in a professional role, not get benefits from the government. You can pay into the health insurance scheme, though.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:39 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE knight
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:44 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
You're right, I misspoke in respect to NHS.

Last I checked, one using the highly skilled migrant visa can't go on the dole, etc. (which makes sense.) The expectation is that you use your qualifications and, if you have one, your MBA from a top school to work in a professional role, not get benefits from the government. You can pay into the health insurance scheme, though.
Sorry - I do not wish to be pedantic, but the NHS is not an 'insurance scheme' that you *can* pay into. It is funded out of general taxation, i.e. it is not optional.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

so you're from Texas and a Manchester City fan?

wow

God shat on you from a great height.
I read a police report that thieves had broken into the trophy room at Man city and completely emptied it

Police are looking for a group of men carrying a light blue carpet
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:43 am
Account Closed

conisby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Knight1979
oldham....wigan....both crap
Knob...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.