Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

A question to all you Brits from a Yank.....

A question to all you Brits from a Yank.....

Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Knight1979 will become famous soon enoughKnight1979 will become famous soon enough
Default A question to all you Brits from a Yank.....

Yank here....well Texan to be more specific.

I think its great this site exists for you all and I am amazed at how many Brits are actually over here working in the US. My question is......how easy is it for you to come over assuming your not married to a Yank? The rest who aren't married to a Yank I assume you are sponsered right?

The reason being is that I have investigated trying to work in the UK and realized that would be impossible unless: 1) Marry a Brit 2) Join the military and hope to be stationed over there (would probably settle for prison first).

I have read that in order to get sponsered to work in the UK or anywhere in Europe, you to have to prove to the government that the skill you offer cannot be found within the country. I'm an educated man but I highly doubt there is anything I could offer over there that could be found over there. Anyone have any ideas for me? I do speak Spanish but I imagine there is probably at least one person in the UK who speaks Spanish (sarcasm) so I'm out of luck there......Anyone Brit out there want to marry me? I'm a heck of a catch!

Finally I know this isn't the meet up forum, but if anyone in the Dallas area would like to watch Man City destroy Liverpool on Sunday, let me know!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:16 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question to all you Brits from a Yank.....

Originally Posted by Knight1979
Yank here....well Texan to be more specific.

I think its great this site exists for you all and I am amazed at how many Brits are actually over here working in the US. My question is......how easy is it for you to come over assuming your not married to a Yank? The rest who aren't married to a Yank I assume you are sponsered right?

The reason being is that I have investigated trying to work in the UK and realized that would be impossible unless: 1) Marry a Brit 2) Join the military and hope to be stationed over there (would probably settle for prison first).

I have read that in order to get sponsered to work in the UK or anywhere in Europe, you to have to prove to the government that the skill you offer cannot be found within the country. I'm an educated man but I highly doubt there is anything I could offer over there that could be found over there. Anyone have any ideas for me? I do speak Spanish but I imagine there is probably at least one person in the UK who speaks Spanish (sarcasm) so I'm out of luck there......Anyone Brit out there want to marry me? I'm a heck of a catch!

Finally I know this isn't the meet up forum, but if anyone in the Dallas area would like to watch Man City destroy Liverpool on Sunday, let me know!

so you're from Texas and a Manchester City fan?

wow

God shat on you from a great height.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Knight1979 will become famous soon enoughKnight1979 will become famous soon enough

mmm.......you must be a trafford united fan....I'm an athiest, that means I don't beleive in god.....so I really have no idea what your talking about
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:21 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

mmm.......you must be a trafford united fan....I'm an athiest, that means I don't beleive in god.....so I really have no idea what your talking about
think again fella.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

oldham....wigan....both crap
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:30 am
@matthewb76

oldham....wigan....both crap

much more worse than them
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:33 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Yank here....well Texan to be more specific. ...I have investigated trying to work in the UK and realized that would be impossible unless: 1) Marry a Brit 2) Join the military and hope to be stationed over there (would probably settle for prison first).

I have read that in order to get sponsered to work in the UK or anywhere in Europe, you to have to prove to the government that the skill you offer cannot be found within the country. I'm an educated man but I highly doubt there is anything I could offer over there that could be found over there. Anyone have any ideas for me?.........
Not a clue - but have a look at uk-yankee.com - that's for US traffic going to the UK and the like
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

bury?.....give up
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ways into the US, read the wiki.

Ways into the UK....it's a piece of piss for someone to sponsor you, it sounds harsh, but it ain't, as long as your not looking to come over and work at the local chippy. It ain't cheap which is what puts companies off because they can get people from the EU who don't need a visa, but there are plenty of foreigners working in the UK.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

bury?.....give up
stockport...it's what gounds the great man....though I can't speak as I support Oxford united, equally pants
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

I imagine most of all Yanks in the UK are in high finance from NYC or in energy....which probably explains why there are so many Brits in Houston.

I'm in neither of these fields......marriage is my best bet.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:55 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

The process was not that difficult for me, just time consuming. I'm not sure what the requirements for a yank working in the UK are, but for me to get a job here in the US I was able to take the H1B route. A job offer (and a sponsor) and a degree was all I needed (oh, and about £3000 in attorneys fee's - but I could have probably done without the attorney had I known then what I know now). The biggest obstacle is finding someone to sponsor you, who is also willing to wait the long period it takes to complete the paperwork and jump through the hoops for USCIS. I started out in a small town in Texas, so the employer had genuine problems finding a US citizen who could fill the position.
I'm now married to a yank; but that is not how I originally arrived.

My question is......how easy is it for you to come over assuming your not married to a Yank?
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:01 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
The process was not that difficult for me, just time consuming. I'm not sure what the requirements for a yank working in the UK are, but for me to get a job here in the US I was able to take the H1B route. A job offer (and a sponsor) and a degree was all I needed (oh, and about £3000 in attorneys fee's - but I could have probably done without the attorney had I known then what I know now). The biggest obstacle is finding someone to sponsor you, who is also willing to wait the long period it takes to complete the paperwork and jump through the hoops for USCIS. I started out in a small town in Texas, so the employer had genuine problems finding a US citizen who could fill the position.
I'm now married to a yank; but that is not how I originally arrived.
I think he's talking about going the other way.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:02 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

A homosexual ?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I think he's talking about going the other way.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

yes exactly! What paperwork and visa requirements do I need to become a homosexual?..what hoops will I have to jump through?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.