Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

A Question For All The Parents

A Question For All The Parents

Old May 1st 2008, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Question For All The Parents

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I agree...I do both. Our gas grill is my best friend (even in the winter months).
I sometimes light a charcoal grill in the winter too... love it. Neighbours probably think it is a weird forgein thing!
Old May 1st 2008, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom
Its the fizzy drinks I dont get - my boys are 5 and 3 and ALL their friends, and I mean every single one, drinks cola or sprite??! why? I dont get it? its more expensive than juices or water or milk.
I wouldn't say that... you can buy 2 liters of coke on sale for a $1, a gallon of milk costs $3. Regardless of the cost though, it is not good for a kid or anyone to constantly drink soda.

Originally Posted by islandmom
dont even get me started on the parents that dip their babies and toddlers dummies in jam or syrup or why a toddler would need a dummy in the first place - babies yes, toddlers and up - no.
When my girls were teething I was told to dip their dummies in whisky or rub it on their gums
Old May 1st 2008, 3:12 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
After 12 years my daughter still speaks with a British accent when she's with us but changes to American when she's with her friends.
After two years, my daughter is the same. I don't see her changing now.

a.
Old May 1st 2008, 5:50 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I wouldn't say that... you can buy 2 liters of coke on sale for a $1, a gallon of milk costs $3. Regardless of the cost though, it is not good for a kid or anyone to constantly drink soda.

When my girls were teething I was told to dip their dummies in whisky or rub it on their gums
that's what people did in the old days before the invention of Bonjela and such like - strong spirits are after all a natural aneasthetic - don't think it ever made any kids drunk but I didn't think that some people still advocated it today as a teething soother.
Old May 1st 2008, 2:58 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Might sound like a strange question, but how British are your kids?
I ask because my son will sometimes slip into a British accent when talking to me, has been known to say "bollocks" on occasion, loves watching British kids shows (could barely drag him away from cBeebies on the last UK trip), and likes Weetabix for breakfast.
So what other habits have your kids picked up from you, that might be considered British?
Our son was 4 when we moved here. Kept his British accent until he started school and then it was gone within 3 months. Now almost 15 he sounds like a real redneck He calls the TV the telly, eats Weetabix and Shredded Wheat for breakfast, hates PB, loves watching British footie, hates american football and baseball. Has the Union Jack hanging by his bed, loves Monster Munch and as much UK choccie that can be brought over by visiting family. He likes being the only British kid in school, he says it makes him feel special. But in many ways he is far more American than British and I don't know how he would fit in if he had to live back in the UK.
Old May 1st 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jumping doris
My youngest was bullied over her accent and the fact that she was British, to the point where she was really unhappy and hated it here. We spoke to the school principal who just brushed it all off.
That was when my daughter started speaking "american". At first it sounded so phoney that I expected her to get picked on over that but now she blends in.
She feel more comfortable and so thats fine.
When he first started, he sounded incredibly fake to me, said things like 'beneneh' for 'banana' ...No-one seemed to notice apart from me though lol!
I changed his school at a time when he'd perfected his accent, one of his teachers didn't realise his was English until I came up to the school!
Old May 2nd 2008, 1:03 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had quite a few English & Irish kids in my classes over the years (and Norwegian, Dutch, etc.) And I never knew they were anything but American until I met their parents, regardless if they moved here when they were 2 or 12.
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:18 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil75
My boys are becoming more american each day with their speech and sayings but we do like to teach them the odd Yorkshire thing now and again. The latest my 4 year old has learnt is Shut your Clacker!
Thats fantastic, me and hubby have just been laughing our asses off at that one.... mainly cos you're teaching your 4 year old that and we are teaching my (USC) hubby's 3 year old to say 'ello luv' whenever we ring, so but being 3, his v's are pronounced b, so it comes out as 'ello lub'

We're not even in the states yet (still waiting for that damn visa grrr) and we use as many american terms as we can all the time... if the kids ask for a biscuit hubby says 'a what' until they say cookie, and we have the same with rubbish/garbage, trunk/boot etc.

the youngest (they are twins but I call him the youngest cos he's 1 minute younger) as the best american accent i've heard from a brit whose never been to the states for longer than 2 weeks at a time - he even sings 'she thinks my tractors sexy' by Kenny Chesney with a real drawl! The eldest of the two is broad yorkshire and doesnt even attempt it!

Its going to be fun all round when we finally get there!