Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

A Question For All The Parents

A Question For All The Parents

Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:37 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Question For All The Parents

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My neighbour and I share driving the kids, every day hers go to the refrigerator in the garage and take a 'lunchable' each for school - it's starting to make me feel ill.
They're probably more nutritious than what's on the school menu!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
They're probably more nutritious than what's on the school menu!
The school was very proud to tell us they provide what kids like - nachos, pizza, and 'Pick Up Stix' on Thursdays
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:41 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbour and I share driving the kids, every day hers go to the refrigerator in the garage and take a 'lunchable'* each for school - it's starting to make me feel ill.

*a box containg very salty nachos, salsa, fake cheese, a mini-chocolate bar and a 'Capri-Sun' drink which is mostly sugar.
My youngest has a friend who seems to exist on pizza and pop tarts.
I'm sure mine eat it all when they are out but I can live with that.

The thing that does amaze me here is the amount of soda everyone drinks, even old people! I can't remember seeing old grannies drinking coke where I lived in the UK.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

My boys are becoming more american each day with their speech and sayings but we do like to teach them the odd Yorkshire thing now and again. The latest my 4 year old has learnt is Shut your Clacker!

The school was very proud to tell us they provide what kids like - nachos, pizza, and 'Pick Up Stix' on Thursdays
Ours is just as bad:
Cheeseburgers, corn dogs, waffles and syrup (since when has this been a main dish?) and pizza are all featured on a weekly basis. My son goes full days next year and will be taking a packed lunch!
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris

The thing that does amaze me here is the amount of soda everyone drinks, even old people! I can't remember seeing old grannies drinking coke where I lived in the UK.
A triumph of marketing.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:45 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
Ours is just as bad:
Cheeseburgers, corn dogs, waffles and syrup (since when has this been a main dish?) and pizza are all featured on a weekly basis. My son goes full days next year and will be taking a packed lunch!
that school should watch Jamie Oliver's School Dinners programme. I can't pretend that the food in the schools he visited was any better but he did manage to change it all.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:46 pm

As long as they're drinking it and not snorting it, I suppose
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't bother me. I cook from scratch every day and over the years I have found things that are fast. If something takes longer than an hour I will still make it because I enjoy cooking.

I come from a long line of cooks...my mum, aunts, grandmas all cooked, preserved, pickled etc so it's just something I've always done and been surrounded by.

One of my elderly aunts used to be the cook in a big house in Yorkshire...a bit like Upstairs, Downstairs if anyone remembers that apart from me! She tells lovely stories about her life and all the things she cooked.
I also love to cook but I don't get in the door from work until after 6pm and my daughter needs to be in bed by 8.30pm. My mother stayed home with us and we still got oven chips and frozen burgers every night of the week so being a working mother isn't the issue.

There was a Jamie Oliver style movement to get organic lunches into schools here in Chicago last year but it sadly fell by the wayside because nobody would support it. My daughter will just have to make do with brown bagging it I'm afraid!

(I also saw a British toddler drinking a Red Bull in his buggy in Spain a couple of years ago...)
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:50 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I never saw my granny drink coke or fanta - she did like a drop of lemonade now and again - but that was to make her whiskey last a bit longer !!!!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
that school should watch Jamie Oliver's School Dinners programme. I can't pretend that the food in the schools he visited was any better but he did manage to change it all.
I don't think it's just this school though - seems to be all over. He'll have to take on the whole of America!
On my son's first day in Kindergarten we walked to school with a neighbour's 4th grader, who couldn't wait to tell my son about the school meals and how they make you puke!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I also love to cook but I don't get in the door from work until after 6pm and my daughter needs to be in bed by 8.30pm. My mother stayed home with us and we still got oven chips and frozen burgers every night of the week so being a working mother isn't the issue.

There was a Jamie Oliver style movement to get organic lunches into schools here in Chicago last year but it sadly fell by the wayside because nobody would support it. My daughter will just have to make do with brown bagging it I'm afraid!

(I also saw a British toddler drinking a Red Bull in his buggy in Spain a couple of years ago...)
way to go - hyper kids on Red Bull - awful
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Now I think about it I think my gran did like a little glass of coke now and then, although it had to be flat already as she couldn't do with the bubbles! She would only buy it when we visited but if we didn't finish it she'd polish it off. Same goes for the choc ices!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
way to go - hyper kids on Red Bull - awful
Chav-tastic!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Now I think about it I think my gran did like a little glass of coke now and then, although it had to be flat already as she couldn't do with the bubbles! She would only buy it when we visited but if we didn't finish it she'd polish it off. Same goes for the choc ices!
Ooh what a racy gran! I don't think my Mum has ever drunk a soda.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.