Planespotting II

Old Dec 18th 2020, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Man jumps fence at Las Vegas Airport, then climbs onto wing of an Alaska Airlines flight, then falls off wing and is arrested.

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/man-arrested-for-jumping-mccarran-fence-walking-on-wing-of-airplane/amp/

https://twitter.com/SkipperBK13/status/1337895723442946050
How the heck do you get ONTO the wing in the first place?! Whenever I sit near the wing, I'm always noticing those 'do not step' markings. I'm sure this guy was careful not to step anywhere he shouldn't .
Old Dec 18th 2020, 5:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
How the heck do you get ONTO the wing in the first place?! Whenever I sit near the wing, I'm always noticing those 'do not step' markings. I'm sure this guy was careful not to step anywhere he shouldn't .

Without a ladder or going through the over wing exits, the only way I can think of is he climbed up onto the wing using the engine as the stepping stone, but still wouldn't be easy, I don't think I could pull myself onto the wing of a 737 from the ground.

The Alaska pilots saw the man running across the air field toward them so they proactively shut the engines down before the man got to their aircraft, so the engines were not running.

The aircraft took off about 4 hours later presumably after a maintenance and security check.

The perimeter fences around most airports is pretty basic, it wont keep anyone determined off the field like this man, and not the first time in Las Vegas someone has jumped the fence. Example here from 2019.

Old Dec 18th 2020, 5:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
As a youngster, 'Pan Am' was just the coolest name, and the coolest logo. And of course, they featured in 2001-A Space Odyssey' as the commercial operators of the earth-moon flights. I then got to fly them from SF to Hong Kong on business, and I was so impressed that I was able to fly with them. What a sad demise of such an icon!
Deregulation was not their friend.

Their name does live on in a way, Pan Am Railways.

Old Jan 1st 2021, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

Ever wonder what a plane looks like after hitting a pyrotechnic balloon? Now is your chance, plane landed safely, although was a wee bit tangled in balloon bits.

Big question is who thought it would be a good idea to send such a balloon up so near an airport, the aircraft was on final approach apparently.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 1st 2021 at 8:51 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

United had a runway excursion in Costa Rica, no injuries, but aircraft sustained damage as did some runway lights. Flight had more passengers on it than I would have expected during a pandemic.

Incident: United B738 at San Jose on Dec 30th 2020, temporary runway excursion on landing
Old Jan 1st 2021, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

Several aircraft at Beirut airport were struck by celebratory bullets fired into the air for New Years.

Old Jan 9th 2021, 11:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

737-500 down off Indonesia. 60 + on board.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 11:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
737-500 down off Indonesia. 60 + on board.
Social media posters reporting wreckage seen
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55601909
Old Jan 9th 2021, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

737-500 first flew in 1994 and delivered to Continental Airlines, went into storage in 2008, then with United Airlines from 2010 to 2012 before going to Sriwijaya Air same year.

Weather map at the time.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 9th 2021 at 5:32 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

Norwegian axes long haul flying even after the pandemic in it's business plan for survival, they will provide short haul flights within Europe as well as domestic within Norway.

All 787's are out and fleet will be reduced to 50 aircraft.

About 2,150 jobs in the UK, Spain, France and the US will be eliminated.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...0-gatwick-jobs
Old Jan 14th 2021, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Norwegian axes long haul flying even after the pandemic in it's business plan for survival, they will provide short haul flights within Europe as well as domestic within Norway.

Inevitable, they were heading for trouble before covid.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I really am very lucky. Routes and jobs are being cut everywhere you look. We continue to buck the trend with new services being announced for next month to Seattle and now Portland in May. We are in a pretty unique situation right now that there is the real possibility of us running out of terminal space. A nice problem to have in these shite times.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Another UK option disappears from the Bay Area. Me thinks that once covid is under control and people start travelling, prices are going to be way way higher for transatlantic flights.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by markonline1
I really am very lucky. Routes and jobs are being cut everywhere you look. We continue to buck the trend with new services being announced for next month to Seattle and now Portland in May. We are in a pretty unique situation right now that there is the real possibility of us running out of terminal space. A nice problem to have in these shite times.

Always good to be at an airport like that....

Air Canada just announced more cuts in Canada yesterday, suspending survive completely to several airports leaving those city's with 0 air service and reducing workforce by another 1,700 people.

It's crazy to think last year at this time AC had around 32,000 employees, and now they are in the 14,000-15,000 range, and Westjet went from 11,000 ish to around 4,500 ish now, Westjet permanently laid off just about every airport employee in Canada, so many of those jobs wont be returning.

Vancouver airport 2020 traffic went back about 25 years, so crazy how badly things are for so many airports, they even had to stop the airport improvements midway into it to conserve cash.

Old Jan 19th 2021, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Another UK option disappears from the Bay Area. Me thinks that once covid is under control and people start travelling, prices are going to be way way higher for transatlantic flights.
Another option from Denver too, only leaves us with BA now. Or Lufthansa if you want a connection from Germany.

I've taken both BA and Norwegian and to be honest the Norwegian flights were actually better than the BA offering due to the ancient, falling apart interior and loudness of the 747's (which I see BA have now retired) that they flew on the Denver > LHR route. Also helped with keeping the prices fairly competitive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.