Planespotting II

Old Aug 13th 2020, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Originally Posted by caretaker
They "borrowed" the plane in order to steal the hydrogen bomb it carried. A Vulcan that was visiting the Moose Jaw airshow years ago flew to Regina and performed several touch and go landings as I was driving by, and I pulled over and watched. Impressive is an understatement; she's loud!
Loud is an understatement! I saw one fly low over a town fete near Cambridge way back when, and then climb steeply. The noise was simply deafening.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the highlight of my years going to the air show at Farnborough was the year the Vulcan flew. I remember it spoiling up the engines for 3 or 4 minutes on the runway before taking off. I couldn’t see it because of the crowds, but the noise and the sense of excitement were huge. It didn’t disappoint in its display.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen a Vulcan in person, but now I wish I had. Back when I was a USAF brat, I was a passenger in a C5 Galaxy, it was so loud inside the crew gave us ear plugs. Crank up your phone/computer/tablet volume and enjoy.

Old Aug 14th 2020, 1:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Icelandair has reached a settlement with Boeing over the 737-MAX issues.

They also reduced their outstanding order from 16 aircraft to 12 aircraft, and rescheduled delivery of the 12 aircraft.

The settlement amount appears confidential.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airline...139725.article

Old Aug 15th 2020, 8:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
..... I never got to see Concorde taking off 'in the flesh' but I imagine it was a similar feeling.
Yes, it was more similar to a military aircraft than any modern passenger aircraft.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which reminds me, do you know the reason why the F-117 was all angular like origami, and the B-2 is rounded off like a bar of soap?
Yes, when the F117 was developed, the computer power was nothing like sufficient to handle the radar reflection calculations for 3D surfaces. By the time the B2 was developed, so had the state of the art, and suitable surfaces could be calculated.

The great irony is that the key research for all this was done by a Soviet Russian Academician, and the paper he wrote not kept secret - who could have the computer power ? Lockheed's SkunkWorks team got hold of it and realised what it meant, then ran with it.

YEARS later, when Russia was back in the fold, the Lockheed people invited said Academician to see the plane - and how his pure, mathematical exercise was applied. The academician was apparently staggered to see his work "in the flesh".

The end result of the F117 program was a plane capable of looking for all the world like something with the radar crosssetion of a 1/8" diameter ball bearing. That didn't however stop Serbian engineers from developing a successful way TO track stealth planes during the Yugoslavian conflict.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 11:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Yes, when the F117 was developed, the computer power was nothing like sufficient to handle the radar reflection calculations for 3D surfaces. By the time the B2 was developed, so had the state of the art, and suitable surfaces could be calculated.

The great irony is that the key research for all this was done by a Soviet Russian Academician, and the paper he wrote not kept secret - who could have the computer power ? Lockheed's SkunkWorks team got hold of it and realised what it meant, then ran with it.

YEARS later, when Russia was back in the fold, the Lockheed people invited said Academician to see the plane - and how his pure, mathematical exercise was applied. The academician was apparently staggered to see his work "in the flesh".

The end result of the F117 program was a plane capable of looking for all the world like something with the radar crosssetion of a 1/8" diameter ball bearing. That didn't however stop Serbian engineers from developing a successful way TO track stealth planes during the Yugoslavian conflict.
Thank you .... I knew the answer, at least so far as your first paragraph goes, but the rest I was unaware of, so thank you for that .... And I presume that the Serbian ingenuity lead to the only F-117 combat loss, shot down over Serbia?

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 15th 2020 at 11:03 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you .... I knew the answer, at least so far as your first paragraph goes, but the rest I was unaware of, so thank you for that .... And I presume that the Serbian ingenuity lead to the only F-117 combat loss, shot down over Serbia?
Yes, allegedly the way it was done is classified, but enough information leaked that we can admire Nikola Tesla's compatriots technical superiority.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 2:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Jake Cefolia, SVP of Worldwide Sales at United Airlines has been missing for over a week, his car was found at a nature preserve.

I'd like to think they will find him alive, but over a week missing with no sign, not looking good.

Last seen August 6th, and reported missing August 8.

https://abc7chicago.com/jake-cefolia...utive/6370622/
Old Aug 16th 2020, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Yes, allegedly the way it was done is classified, but enough information leaked that we can admire Nikola Tesla's compatriots technical superiority.
Please feel free to go on ... this sounds very interesting ... and on topic (spotting planes even!)
Old Aug 19th 2020, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult to do any plane spotting at the moment with all the fires going on. We have fires to the North, East and South. The fires to the East are affecting the approach as the TFR that’s been put in place for the arial fire fighting is about 3 miles from the threshold of the preferential runway. Been sitting watching chinooks and 737 tankers on flightaware do multiple right circles that are a little too close to my house for comfort (no chance of us being evacuated, but the air is thick with smoke and ash)
Smoke coming across the bay from Santa Cruz fires

Ash getting blasted by a charter 737

Old Aug 19th 2020, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

Yuck. Vancouver was like that 2 summers ago, it was so nasty, and ash all over the ramp, and went on for 2 weeks nearly, it was horrible, we were getting smoke from the BC interior, as well as WA state, and it was so bad, worst I had ever seen.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Fedex had a bit of a bumpy landing this morning in Los Angeles, flight arrived from Newark. Landing gear issue.

1 pilot was injured when exiting the aircraft.

Old Aug 20th 2020, 10:54 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

That's one set of packages that ain't making it on time!

Seemed a pretty good job from the pilot. Any landing you can you walk away from is a good one.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Fedex had a bit of a bumpy landing this morning in Los Angeles, flight arrived from Newark. Landing gear issue.

1 pilot was injured when exiting the aircraft.

https://youtu.be/tyVKN_q34tM
Did the pilots exit through the windows? Why wouldn't they use the normal door?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.