Planespotting II

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Originally Posted by zzrmark
...And the old timer?
He retired a few years ago, must have 30 years at least on the ramp/other positions.

I am still a bit perplexed about the other posters comment.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 2nd 2020 at 5:06 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 1:23 pm
Banned

The Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond repute

Ramp Service does more lifting than body builders, and they do it on concrete or on their knees in the pit...Before I was the president of a union that represented Mechanics, Gate Agents, Ramp and Cabins, I was the EAP guy. The ramp people all ended up on disability or they should have ended up on it.. Some dummies will just live with a "bum shoulder" or a constantly aching back. Nobody makes it out of there without knee, back, neck or shoulder injuries. The ramp guys I represented make $35/hour and they stayed below the wing their entire careers, they didn't rotate upstairs into public contact positions like they do at scab airlines...I've seen that job cripple hundreds of people, the company doesn't care, its just the cost of doing business... Safe lifting does not occur in the pit of an aircraft and NO body, even that big guy pictured can do that for 25 years without having problems.....It's the worst job ever and titanium joints would eventually wear down fail under those conditions

That's real life experience talkin guys

Last edited by The Mirror; Aug 2nd 2020 at 1:37 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
He retired a few years ago, must have 30 years at least on the ramp/other positions.

I am still a bit perplexed about the other posters comment.
There's nowt strange as folk.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 3:20 pm
Banned

The Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond repute

There's nowt strange as folk.
Oh jeez...No matter what I say, I hurt someones feelings here...

Don't take my word on it, The job has the highest disability rates in the country

https://www.dol.gov/newsroom/releases/osha/osha20161227

https://link.springer.com/article/10...20-019-01470-z

"Flying the friendly skies is a thing of the past, what with increased security hassles, flight delays, and hefty baggage charges…. But that’s nothing compared to what airline/airport employees have to endure on a regular basis. In fact, according to the Flight Safety Foundation, the airline industry is the most hazardous.

"Musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs), also known as repetitive strain injuries, which affect the muscles, nerves and tendons. According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, baggage handlers lift about five to 10 bags a minute, each of which weighs between 32 and 70 pounds. Add that up during an eight-hour shift, and it’s clear that this job takes a toll on the back, neck, arms and shoulders. To say nothing of the fact that they are also required to stack and shift heavy baggage, which involves twisting, pushing, pulling and keeling."

Last edited by The Mirror; Aug 2nd 2020 at 3:28 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 3:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Mirror
She's cute, but she's going to get hurt, so is the guy second from the right and the old timer

I meant the second guy from the left.....Too skinny and he's standing like he already has lower back issues...
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
I was near the end of my training when the first ever 380 came in. ... Here it is displaying over my house in Farnborough

The first time that came to the Farnborough Air Show I was in the Monkey Puzzle's (a pub) garden and was amazed that something so large could fly, and it turned so low over Farnborough.
Working in the Southwood was nearly impossible during the Air Show due to noise, but many people were able to get great photos from on top the company's parking garages.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Ramp Service does more lifting than body builders, and they do it on concrete or on their knees in the pit...Before I was the president of a union that represented Mechanics, Gate Agents, Ramp and Cabins, I was the EAP guy. The ramp people all ended up on disability or they should have ended up on it.. Some dummies will just live with a "bum shoulder" or a constantly aching back. Nobody makes it out of there without knee, back, neck or shoulder injuries. The ramp guys I represented make $35/hour and they stayed below the wing their entire careers, they didn't rotate upstairs into public contact positions like they do at scab airlines...I've seen that job cripple hundreds of people, the company doesn't care, its just the cost of doing business... Safe lifting does not occur in the pit of an aircraft and NO body, even that big guy pictured can do that for 25 years without having problems.....It's the worst job ever and titanium joints would eventually wear down fail under those conditions

That's real life experience talkin guys

I loved the ramp and still do, sure there is risk of injury but comes with physical labor, physical labor and the human body do not mix. If I have to do low skill physical labor, I'd rather work the ramp then in a warehouse or construction or such.

But you made assumptions in your comment without knowing any facts about the people.

I also wasn't forced to work customer service, we were union from 1999 onward, due my personal reasons I needed to transfer to Milwaukee, and there was no ramp openings in Milwaukee, so I had to make a choice, either leave the company or take a customer service position at O'hare, so I went to O'hare and that was my personal choice even though I lost my seniority, and went down in pay by $1/hr, well my seniority for bidding schedule and vacations, which is the down side to unions at times, makes mobility within the company more difficult.

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

The tall person standing is me, I can report I have no back injury, and no real issues at all related to the ramp or other physical jobs I have had, all my pain in in my joints and related is due to psoriatic arthritis which is an auto-immune disease, and I'd have gotten it and been in pain even if I was working an office job, actually when I am doing office/low physical work, I am in more pain then when I am working on the ramp, the movement was actually good for me....worse thing for arthritis pain is to sit and not move for hours on end.

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Oh jeez...No matter what I say, I hurt someones feelings here...

Don't take my word on it, The job has the highest disability rates in the country

https://www.dol.gov/newsroom/releases/osha/osha20161227

https://link.springer.com/article/10...20-019-01470-z

"Flying the friendly skies is a thing of the past, what with increased security hassles, flight delays, and hefty baggage charges…. But that’s nothing compared to what airline/airport employees have to endure on a regular basis. In fact, according to the Flight Safety Foundation, the airline industry is the most hazardous.

"Musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs), also known as repetitive strain injuries, which affect the muscles, nerves and tendons. According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, baggage handlers lift about five to 10 bags a minute, each of which weighs between 32 and 70 pounds. Add that up during an eight-hour shift, and it’s clear that this job takes a toll on the back, neck, arms and shoulders. To say nothing of the fact that they are also required to stack and shift heavy baggage, which involves twisting, pushing, pulling and keeling."

You haven't upset me and no-one doubts the toil taken on handlers but it is a little unusual to single out, from a photo, 50% of people that you don't know and make a diagnosis on their well being. Applying industry statistics to 6 people within that industry is about as scientific as the reasoning used by a flat earther.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:25 pm
Banned

The tall person standing is me, I can report I have no back injury, and no real issues at all related to the ramp or other physical jobs I have had, all my pain in in my joints and related is due to psoriatic arthritis which is an auto-immune disease, and I'd have gotten it and been in pain even if I was working an office job, actually when I am doing office/low physical work, I am in more pain then when I am working on the ramp, the movement was actually good for me....worse thing for arthritis pain is to sit and not move for hours on end.
Good luck my friend
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The Space-X capsule is going to be bombing down like a rock in a couple of hours, and I don't want to miss that!
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:49 pm
Banned

I loved the ramp and still do, sure there is risk of injury but comes with physical labor, physical labor and the human body do not mix. If I have to do low skill physical labor, I'd rather work the ramp then in a warehouse or construction or such.

But you made assumptions in your comment without knowing any facts about the people.

I also wasn't forced to work customer service, we were union from 1999 onward, due my personal reasons I needed to transfer to Milwaukee, and there was no ramp openings in Milwaukee, so I had to make a choice, either leave the company or take a customer service position at O'hare, so I went to O'hare and that was my personal choice even though I lost my seniority, and went down in pay by $1/hr, well my seniority for bidding schedule and vacations, which is the down side to unions at times, makes mobility within the company more difficult.
But why should you go ahead of someone that has been there longer...? Whats the alternative "the whoever sucks up to the boss more" system?

And like I said..I was the UNION EAP guy for a major carrier for a few years- I set people up with disability lawyers and made sure the company handled all workers comp claims properly. I fought for hundreds of employee's in hearings and rarely lost unless I made a deal to gave one guy up to keep another... I don't think there are too many people on the face of the earth with more knowledge and experience on this matter..
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:52 pm
Banned

You haven't upset me and no-one doubts the toil taken on handlers but it is a little unusual to single out, from a photo, 50% of people that you don't know and make a diagnosis on their well being. Applying industry statistics to 6 people within that industry is about as scientific as the reasoning used by a flat earther.
It's simple. You gotta be big and strong to do that job, and you're still going to get hurt. A 110 pound woman has NO chance
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

It's simple. You gotta be big and strong to do that job, and you're still going to get hurt. A 110 pound woman has NO chance
And yet I worked with plenty 110 pound women who did the job for decades and better then many of the men.

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:59 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Newsflash: 'The Mirror' talks utter bollocks.

My fellow BEers should have found that out several days ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.