Planespotting II

Old Mar 12th 2020, 10:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planespotting II

Originally Posted by civilservant
Tangentially related to aircraft - I don't understand the logic in excluding the UK from this Europe travel bank. It has more cases than many of the other countries that are banned, and still has free movement of people for now.

​​​​​​https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

UK is still pretty low on the list and has a relatively slow spread so far.

Let's face it this ban is a political move on the countries that have free borders, looks as though it's essentially just the Schengen countries.

All the scientific evidence shows these moves have incredibly little effect other than possibly delaying the 'peak' by around a month.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 10:42 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The fact is, this is simply another xenophobic move. Look at the words he used - even the virus itself he called 'foreign'

A travel ban at this point makes no difference. Nearly every state has cases, and they cannot stop the entry of USCs to the US at any time. This is the price we pay for our interconnected world.

I think he realities that this is a black swan event that puts his election in jeopardy. I was talking to my wife about this last night - what odds would I get on the 2020 election being 'suspended to protect public health' if this continues for months more?
Old Mar 12th 2020, 11:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

The fact is, this is simply another xenophobic move. Look at the words he used - even the virus itself he called 'foreign'

A travel ban at this point makes no difference. Nearly every state has cases, and they cannot stop the entry of USCs to the US at any time. This is the price we pay for our interconnected world.

I think he realities that this is a black swan event that puts his election in jeopardy. I was talking to my wife about this last night - what odds would I get on the 2020 election being 'suspended to protect public health' if this continues for months more?
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...id-19-testing/
this chart shows the number of people who have actually been tested as you can see the USA is lacking behind.
If he carries on mismanage this disaster I have no doubt he will lose the election
Old Mar 12th 2020, 11:29 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...id-19-testing/
this chart shows the number of people who have actually been tested as you can see the USA is lacking behind.
If he carries on mismanage this disaster I have no doubt he will lose the election
It’s a difficult one. Things could get so bad that it would be prudent to postpone the election - even though I don’t think there is constitutional provision to do so.

One would hope mismanagement by the US government is pretty clear, but he’s putting in an alternative narrative that may convince many people. And it’s a toss up, events could be much better or much worse than we now fear.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link.
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

My adblocker blocked 62 ads on the previous link.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 1:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
It’s a difficult one. Things could get so bad that it would be prudent to postpone the election - even though I don’t think there is constitutional provision to do so. ....
The statistics to date project an exponential growth curve with potentially 100 million infected (not exposed, infected) within two months, so if we aren't well past the peak of infections by the time the election arrives in November, we'll have a whole different level of concern by then!

And I am fairly certain that the only voters who would place the blame on the President will be those who wouldn't vote for him anyway. Ironically, the restrictions on people coming from China has probably led to the relatively low number of infections in the US, and the low number of tests performed. Therefore likely Trump voters will almost certainly credit the President with having done a good job, so far at least.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 12th 2020 at 2:05 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The statistics to date project an exponential growth curve with potentially 100 million infected (not exposed, infected) within two months, so if we aren't well past the peak of infections by the time the election arrives in November, we'll have a whole different level of concern by then!

And I am fairly certain that the only voters who would place the blame on the President will be those who wouldn't vote for him anyway. Ironically, the restrictions on people coming from China has probably led to the relatively low number of infections in the US, and the low number of tests performed. Therefore likely Trump voters will almost certainly credit the President with having done a good job, so far at least.
By testing so few, we don't know the number of infections is low. But I certainly agree that Trump's supporters will buy the line that the travel bans have kept the rate of infection down.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
It’s a difficult one. Things could get so bad that it would be prudent to postpone the election - even though I don’t think there is constitutional provision to do so.

One would hope mismanagement by the US government is pretty clear, but he’s putting in an alternative narrative that may convince many people. And it’s a toss up, events could be much better or much worse than we now fear.
If they are canceling NBA and MLB events, two 'American Passtimes', the scene is set for the cancellation of elections, which are - to some extent - major gatherings of people. This could, of course, spur on the move towards absentee / mail voting, but that has its own issues.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Delta Airlines is suspending, they have also extended waiver of change fees through May 31 for European and UK travel and is capping fares to Europe.
  • Cincinnati-Paris
  • Indianapolis-Paris
  • Orlando-Amsterdam
  • Portland-Amsterdam
  • Raleigh/Durham-Paris
  • Salt Lake City-Amsterdam
  • Salt Lake City-Paris
  • Salt Lake City-London Heathrow
Old Mar 12th 2020, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Corona (virus not beer), is there a half-decent thread here on BE that is discussing it yet? I took a quick look but didn't see anything, but I don't tend to roam far ...

I've had out-of-town visitors for the past week and thus, haven't been following the news at all. Yesterday I finally caught up a bit on some online sites. If Angela Merkel is saying she expects up to 70% of Germans to get it, that seems pretty severe. I guess the problem is, there is no vaccine against it and no one has any natural immunity against it, so if you get too close to an infected person you are 'highly likely' to pick it up? So that's the 'how you get it' part; The next part would be, 'how does it affect you'. If it's just a basic 'bad dose of flu' for most healthy people, then that's not much to worry about either - just stay healthy and your natural defenses will get you through ... that's my current take but I would be interested in some level-headed opinions!
Old Mar 12th 2020, 5:23 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It's a good deal deadlier than the flu thus far if you take the number of deaths against the number of infected. Something like 4% mortality at the current time. Flu is more like 0.2%.

That said, if you are not immuno compromised, or in at-risk age group, even if you were to be infected there is a high order of probability that it will not be a severe illness.

Last edited by civilservant; Mar 12th 2020 at 5:30 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's a good deal deadlier that the flu thus far if you take the number of deaths against the number of infected. Something like 4% mortality at the current time. Flu is more like 0.2%.

That said, if you are not immuno compromised, or in at-risk age group, even if you where to be infected there is a high order of probability that it will not be a severe illness.
I'm in an 'at risk' age group - I'm 61 - but I'm healthy by every measure I can imagine, and hike a mountain every day ... so hopefully that's 'good enough' ...
Old Mar 12th 2020, 5:31 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm in an 'at risk' age group - I'm 61 - but I'm healthy by every measure I can imagine, and hike a mountain every day ... so hopefully that's 'good enough' ...
If your immune system is strong enough, and you take appropriate measures with regards to hygiene and minimizing contact with others then you should be fine.

But I'm not a doctor so don't listen to a word I say . Seriously though, wash your hands and disinfect your surfaces and we'll all ride this one out together. Then we can go beat the shit out of all the people who have bought up all the arse roll.

Last edited by SultanOfSwing; Mar 12th 2020 at 5:33 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 5:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Corona (virus not beer), is there a half-decent thread here on BE that is discussing it yet? I took a quick look but didn't see anything, but I don't tend to roam far ...

I've had out-of-town visitors for the past week and thus, haven't been following the news at all. Yesterday I finally caught up a bit on some online sites. If Angela Merkel is saying she expects up to 70% of Germans to get it, that seems pretty severe. I guess the problem is, there is no vaccine against it and no one has any natural immunity against it, so if you get too close to an infected person you are 'highly likely' to pick it up? So that's the 'how you get it' part; The next part would be, 'how does it affect you'. If it's just a basic 'bad dose of flu' for most healthy people, then that's not much to worry about either - just stay healthy and your natural defenses will get you through ... that's my current take but I would be interested in some level-headed opinions!
I think the thread in TIO is very good. There’s plenty of light-hearted jocularity, but serious discussion too.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 5:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

If they are canceling NBA and MLB events, two 'American Passtimes', the scene is set for the cancellation of elections, which are - to some extent - major gatherings of people. This could, of course, spur on the move towards absentee / mail voting, but that has its own issues.
I’d like to see a move to voting by mail. Didn’t Oregon put that in place? Uses tried and true technologies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.