Planespotting II

Old Feb 22nd 2021, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planespotting II

Somebody I know recently retired from DIA, he worked for United servicing engines, must ask him is he has the inside scoop.

At least it did not happen half way.
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Debris spread just over 3 miles from our home, amazing no one got hurt.
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Somebody I know recently retired from DIA, he worked for United servicing engines, must ask him is he has the inside scoop.

At least it did not happen half way.

Once over the Pacific depending on location, got 2 choices to get to land, continue to Hawaii, turn around and return to the mainland.

Looks like the PW 4000 engines will be grounded for the time being at the airlines that operate it. United is the only US carrier, they had 24 in service at the time of the incident, with a total of 52 with the rest in storage due to COVID.

Boeing had on Sunday recommended operators suspend service of the type pending investigations.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/united-...dent-1.5318326

Old Feb 22nd 2021, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting how times have changed, the engines in the ME262 were good for maybe 10 hours, the engines here could last 50,000 hours.

But not always.

I assume there was an undetected fault in a fan blade that broke and basically destroyed the engine. When you think of the forces involved impressive that the design protected the rest of the plane.
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 5:48 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I assume there was an undetected fault in a fan blade that broke and basically destroyed the engine. When you think of the forces involved impressive that the design protected the rest of the plane.
Alloy was probably slightly impure when it was constructed for whatever reason. These things happen. Spectacular yes, but not really a threat to the airframe after the initial parts fell off the aircraft unless it was mishandled by the pilots.
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Hangar photo.

Old Feb 22nd 2021, 9:31 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I was glad I saw the news story and photos after I had got back home safely with United on Saturday evening and not before my journey, not that I was on a 777 this time around.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 12:45 am
Account Closed

Interesting video from 1965 apparently. Pan Am 843 SFO to HNL engine fire/failure not sure what, but there was a passenger with a movie thinger of the time who got it on film.

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Interesting video from 1965 apparently. Pan Am 843 SFO to HNL engine fire/failure not sure what, but there was a passenger with a movie thinger of the time who got it on film.

https://youtu.be/_-fNahas8Ro?t=11
Wow - that's a fun 'watch'! It's interesting that the guy felt compelled to explain and justify 'why' they made the film - as if such behavior was somehow wrong! Today, there would have been dozens of people filming it with their cell phones. Also worth watching to the end; the replacement plane that was sent to pick up the passengers also had a problem (nose-wheel collapsed!) and a second replacement had to be provided! All but 8 people continued on to Hawaii ...
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 1:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Wow - that's a fun 'watch'! It's interesting that the guy felt compelled to explain and justify 'why' they made the film - as if such behavior was somehow wrong! Today, there would have been dozens of people filming it with their cell phones. Also worth watching to the end; the replacement plane that was sent to pick up the passengers also had a problem (nose-wheel collapsed!) and a second replacement had to be provided! All but 8 people continued on to Hawaii ...

Sometimes poop happens, although I never had a replacement aircraft collapse like the one in the video, when working the ramp I did have aircraft go maintenance, and another aircraft brought it only for it to also go maintenance for something as well, those are always so much fun.

I didn't mind delays as long as it wasn't the last flight of the day with a rolling delay, nothing sucks more to be scheduled off at 11pm, only to have the 10:15pm departure go on a delay, and roll hour by hour, since the next shift didn't arrived until 4am, we were stuck until either they cancelled the flight or morning shift arrived, always better to work morning shift, delay no problem night shift can deal with it....

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 23rd 2021 at 1:26 am.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

Guess when your country is sanctioned by the west, your airlines have to come up with more creative ways to obtain aircraft.

Seems this has been done before as well.

Looks like its how Mahan Air obtained their A340's in 2015, originally bought by Al-Naser Airlines in Iraq, on the same day they decided to fly all of the aircraft to Kazakhstan for maintenance, with all declaring emergency over Iran and landing there.

This time around it involves a single 737-400, Fly Armenia and aircraft appears to be going to Caspian Air

https://www.scramble.nl/civil-news/t...rgency-landing

Old Mar 2nd 2021, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

The incident happened back in 2018 I believe, but the interview is just from yesterday. United 1175 Captain. It's a very interesting insight.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 2nd 2021 at 10:44 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The incident happened back in 2018 I believe, but the interview is just from yesterday. United 1175 Captain. It's a very interesting insight.

https://youtu.be/J7_lzeY23dI
Is it a complete coincidence or is that bit of black casing that is still intact an extra strong piece that is there to stop 'loose bits' from hitting the plane fuselage?

Old Mar 3rd 2021, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

What a great interview. It shows that dependence on technology in planes is still a matter for discussion. 737 max please note.

The fact that there is a piece still attached is luck I would say. The whole thing is actually designed to restrict engine damage to within the engine cowlings and fan housing. Hollow fan blades are the problem they have to solve one way or another.
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

A competent pilot is worth every penny when things go bad in the air.

Originally Posted by calman014
What a great interview. It shows that dependence on technology in planes is still a matter for discussion. 737 max please note.

The fact that there is a piece still attached is luck I would say. The whole thing is actually designed to restrict engine damage to within the engine cowlings and fan housing. Hollow fan blades are the problem they have to solve one way or another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.