Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Plane Crashes Into Office Building In Austin, TX

Plane Crashes Into Office Building In Austin, TX

Old Feb 21st 2010, 3:59 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Plane Crashes Into Office Building In Austin, TX

Originally Posted by meauxna
We hate you in Oregon for that very reason, if it makes you feel any better.
And my friends in Denver say the same thing.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:01 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Anyway, I tried to summon up some sympathy for Alexandra Penney, a victim of the Madoff collapse and her worries about becoming a bag lady. Nope, couldn't quite manage it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a6irw46cOhnE
The only point worth reading in there is that many successful women remain very insecure and jump to catastrophic thinking ("I'll be a bag lady") when they take a hit. I feel that way. Perhaps we are most threatened by the loss of our home.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:41 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The only point worth reading in there is that many successful women remain very insecure and jump to catastrophic thinking ("I'll be a bag lady") when they take a hit. I feel that way. Perhaps we are most threatened by the loss of our home.
yeah except she had more than one.............
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

yeah except she had more than one.............
Three I believe. Life's rough when you have to go down to two, isn't it?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:12 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Three I believe. Life's rough when you have to go down to two, isn't it?
I think fear of change and the stress that change brings are powerful motivators in keeping people striving for more - even when they have enough.

Though of course I'd rather be downsizing from three homes to two rather than from one home to the street.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:17 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I think fear of change and the stress that change brings are powerful motivators in keeping people striving for more - even when they have enough.

Though of course I'd rather be downsizing from three homes to two rather than from one home to the street.
I don't know about that, I'm tending to think that if someone is afraid of change then rather than strive for more, they hunker down with what they have. If it stresses you out to change then why rock the boat?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about that, I'm tending to think that if someone is afraid of change then rather than strive for more, they hunker down with what they have. If it stresses you out to change then why rock the boat?
A very good point. Someone very resistant to change would be risk averse and might be turned off by the idea of an investment property for instance. Someone afraid of change might earn a very good living, but put all of it into retirement savings, etc.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:25 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
A very good point. Someone very resistant to change would be risk averse and might be turned off by the idea of an investment property for instance. Someone afraid of change might earn a very good living, but put all of it into retirement savings, etc.
The grasshopper and the ant.