Pet Peeves?

Old Jan 26th 2014, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Correction - it's St Paddy's Day
That is my point
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:28 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting shocked whenever I touch anything these days. My dog doesnt want me to pat him because I shock him whenever I do.

People who are incapable of perceiving when they are in other people's way. Long conversations in the middle of narrow hallways, leaving shopping carts out in the middle of an aisle, going through doors slowly because they're on the phone, etc. I think most people have a sixth sense about this, but some people either lack this or simply don't care.

The lack of good beer with low ABV in the US. You can find a few, but in general 7%+ is the norm with quality micros. I went to a brew fest over the weekend and most everything there (ales, stouts, porters etc) was a 9%+ alcohol bomb. Give us something easy drinking and uncomplicated for once, please.

The Grammys. The entire thing is a pet peeve. It's always been an out-of-touch award show (a hoary Jethro Tull over an in-their-prime Metallica for Best Metal Album? Really?), but it's approaching new levels of irrelevance. Some song that an ancient Paul tossed off in a couple of hours with the guy from the Foo Fighters is "Rock Song of the Year"? WTF?

Gels pens that spit out far too much ink. It's impossible to mark up a document without it becoming an ink-stained, soaked-through mess with these pens. Unfortunately, it's all my office offers.

General Windows 8.1 ultrabook shittyness. Has anyone at Microsoft or the myriad of Ultrabook makers ever actually used a current Macbook? Have they noticed how well a Mac trackpad works? Have they seen how simple Mavericks is? Have they noticed how the Mac fans basically never come on? Have they noticed how long a Macbook Pro's (let alone a Macbook Air's) battery lasts? Have they noticed how updating things on a Mac is automated and seemless? Have they noticed how Apple (pleasingly) doesn't require people to know anything at all about computers and allows them to focus on being productive or having fun? Have they noticed that now Macs aren't any more expensive than a competing Ultrabook and in many cases these days are actually cheaper? Etc.

Cavities under old fillings. This is the only place I get cavities. I hardly eat sugar. It's annoying.

Larcenous textbook pricing. I'm in grad school and needed to buy two textbooks. Total for the two books (one of which is a case pack, not even a real book): $365. That's highway robbery. They have you over a barrel and they know it.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:52 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Getting shocked whenever I touch anything these days. My dog doesnt want me to pat him because I shock him whenever I do.

t.
What's happening there? Someone posted last week that they were getting static shocks from a hospital bed their wife was in, and I replied that we had noticed lots of static recently as well. Driving me mad. In the good old days, my mam would have blamed the Russians....who do we blame now? Al Qaeda? Obama? The NSA? GM foods?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:53 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
What's happening there? Someone posted last week that they were getting static shocks from a hospital bed their wife was in, and I replied that we had noticed lots of static recently as well. Driving me mad. In the good old days, my mam would have blamed the Russians....who do we blame now? Al Qaeda? Obama? The NSA? GM foods?
So it's not just me then either?! I've been getting it a lot, especially at the local park (kids play area).
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:55 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
So it's not just me then either?! I've been getting it a lot, especially at the local park (kids play area).
Oh they're the best place! Catch the kids at the bottom of the slide and they get a belt like a shock collar on stun
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:56 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It only happens to me in the winter, so I think we would blame the dryer air for being more conducive to generating static.

It's great fun shocking the cat though.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It only happens to me in the winter, so I think we would blame the dryer air for being more conducive to generating static.

It's great fun shocking the cat though.
I've never really noticed it before...maybe we are drier this winter? I used to get really dry and cracked knuckles for a couple of months over the winter, but thankfully haven't suffered that the last couple of years, though not sure why. I always put that down to the dry air.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:11 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

People who are incapable of perceiving when they are in other people's way. Long conversations in the middle of narrow hallways, leaving shopping carts out in the middle of an aisle, going through doors slowly because they're on the phone, etc. I think most people have a sixth sense about this, but some people either lack this or simply don't care.
This. And people who walk in a store and then stop right inside so you can't get in.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:43 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I've never really noticed it before...maybe we are drier this winter? I used to get really dry and cracked knuckles for a couple of months over the winter, but thankfully haven't suffered that the last couple of years, though not sure why. I always put that down to the dry air.
That's what I attribute it to up here because it is noticeably drier in winter. I could be talking out of my arse though.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:52 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
stop right inside so you can't get in.
Those were security guards....
Old Jan 28th 2014, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I attribute it to up here because it is noticeably drier in winter. I could be talking out of my arse though.
Me too, lower humidity, getting shocks off everything. I managed to get a shock on my stomach from leaning too close to the edge of my colleague's cube wall when talking to to them. bloody hurt too.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:00 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Me too, lower humidity, getting shocks off everything. I managed to get a shock on my stomach from leaning too close to the edge of my colleague's cube wall when talking to to them. bloody hurt too.
Some of them get quite strong. I was all static yesterday, I was wearing a footie shirt yesterday and it was that shiny material, it was all sticking to me in annoying places. Plus I shocked the shit out of my wife when I was handing her a spoon at dinner

Good thing I don't have much hair, I suppose ...
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:10 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

What's happening there? Someone posted last week that they were getting static shocks from a hospital bed their wife was in, and I replied that we had noticed lots of static recently as well. Driving me mad.
Originally Posted by yellowroom
The best cure for that winter problem of shocking & getting shocked is to carry a dryer sheet in your pocket. It really does get rid of most of the static. Can be an expensive brand-name one like Bounce or a cheap supermarket generic.

Take it out of your pocket a few times a day to rub on any static-y clothes, like wool skirts that cling, and the clothes will stop clinging too.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I shocked the shit out of my wife ....
That sounds unpleasant.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:04 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That sounds unpleasant.
Hyperbole's great, isn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.