Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

A personal opinion of the USA

Wikiposts

A personal opinion of the USA

Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice
Default Re: A personal opinion of the USA

Originally Posted by CitySimon
I had a very similar list which I put together when I first moved over here. My list also included things I missed/didn't miss. As time went by the dislikes and the things I missed dropped off.

Not to say that things on your dislike list will move to your like list, but they will move to your "accepted" and "irrelevant" list.

I actually found the remains of the list when I was rebuilding my computer last year and it was entertaining to read things I missed (e.g., my car from England), but it was somewhat irritating to read the original dislike list and realise that I now do some of those things which I used to get very pissed off about only six short years ago.

Give it a couple of years.
We'll make a septic out of you yet
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
Do a search on any of Nikola Tesla's research. He was into this in a big way.
Apparently the technology is already possible on a limited scale.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/09/02/w...s.electricity/

...in 2003, a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, company called Powercast used radio waves to light a low-power LED bulb that was 1.5 miles from its power source, said Harry Ostaffe, spokesman for the company.
But...

Treffers said there may be health risks associated with the magnetic fields created in the MIT process. Giler said the technology would produce magnetic fields that are "about the same density as the earth's magnetic field."
After checking out a couple sites, it looks like the technology is mainly being used in "charging mats" that will charge your laptop, phone, iPod, etc. so far. But I do like the idea of having a big charging mat in your garage to charge the battery in an electric car. That promises electric cars to be more practical.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:23 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom60
After checking out a couple sites, it looks like the technology is mainly being used in "charging mats" that will charge your laptop, phone, iPod, etc. so far. But I do like the idea of having a big charging mat in your garage to charge the battery in an electric car. That promises electric cars to be more practical.
Yeah -- gawd forbid that we'd need to plug them in! You're never going to sell that to the American people.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
...You're never going to sell that to the American people.
I believe that was said about air travel, automobiles, cable tv, rock 'n roll music, video games, home computers, Barney the purple dinosaur, etc.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:38 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

For clarification purposes ...

Are we using "sexless" here to mean androgynous or celibate?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

I think he meant androgynous.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:44 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I think he meant androgynous.
Hmmm ... they were probably fat loud mouthed American men then.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, no doubt.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:00 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that was said about air travel, automobiles, cable tv, rock 'n roll music, video games, home computers, Barney the purple dinosaur, etc.
I find America is very conservative with the little c at the moment. There's a lot of resistance to plugging in your car overnight despite it's obviously where the next generation of hybrids are going. Of course, if we truly were an avant-garde nation, we'd be embracing hydrogen as a fuel, anyway.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:07 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by CitySimon
I had a very similar list which I put together when I first moved over here. My list also included things I missed/didn't miss. As time went by the dislikes and the things I missed dropped off.

Not to say that things on your dislike list will move to your like list, but they will move to your "accepted" and "irrelevant" list.

I actually found the remains of the list when I was rebuilding my computer last year and it was entertaining to read things I missed (e.g., my car from England), but it was somewhat irritating to read the original dislike list and realise that I now do some of those things which I used to get very pissed off about only six short years ago.

Give it a couple of years.
Exactly!

First step is the list.
Next you get to realize that the stuff off of the list cannot be just defined as good or bad but is often just different.
Finally you realize you'd be on someone else's list by using an -ize and slipping in the odd off of.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
For clarification purposes ...

Are we using "sexless" here to mean androgynous or celibate?
I think he meant 'unattractive'.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think he meant 'unattractive'.
As in 'not tarted up'?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
As in 'not tarted up'?
Depending on what he finds sexy I guess. There are a lot of tarted-up women around this way but only sexy if you go for solid silicone and wigs
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:24 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by meauxna
As in 'not tarted up'?
I'm not sure sexness could be related to slappiness.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:56 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So he meant in a Susan Boyle way? Just trying to understand what they were saying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.