Personal finance.

Old Aug 18th 2015, 6:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal finance.

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
No offence, but that sounds like you're still in the early 1990's!
Personally, I'd much rather be back in the 1990s than any other decade, especially this wishy-washy decade that has about as much interest as drying paint, and less edge than an infinite flat plane.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 6:38 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Personally, I'd much rather be back in the 1990s than any other decade, especially this wishy-washy decade that has about as much interest as drying paint, and less edge than an infinite flat plane.
Now that I shall grant you; the early 1990's and late 80's were immense. I could go back to my Amiga
Old Aug 18th 2015, 6:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I shall grant you; the early 1990's and late 80's were immense. I could go back to my Amiga
1987 - the best year ever for rock albums.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

No offence, but that sounds like you're still in the early 1990's!
Canadian banks are behind the US and probably most of the world. Canadian banks run on the motto of charge a lot of fees and provide as little as possible..lol... 14.95/month now just to have an account, but if you can maintain a monthly balance of 2,000 a month or maybe it's 3,000 a month, they will waive the fee, but we can't maintain a balance that high so fees we pay.

Most employers of a decent size do direct deposit, but my wife works for a small company with only 2 employees.

Landlords are generally cheques as most don't have the ability to accept debit or credit unless it's a professional management company, but in this area most landlords are just joe blow who bought a house or condo to rent out or they converted their basement to a suite and rent it out.

Only way to really pay a non-commercial entity electronically is by email money transfer but that cost's money, so not ideal to pay someone using it.

Our bank hasn't even moved to a debit card system yet that can work outside of Canada (a couple Canadian banks have recently gone to Visa debit cards that can be used outside of Canada and non-Canadian websites and select Canadian websites, but not on the scale you have in the US) we can only use our bank card in the US using ATM's.

We would switch banks, but we have been with this bank over a decade and moving banks means starting over with a new bank and it's not worth it just to get a debit card that works in the US.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 18th 2015 at 7:42 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

You can't beat an Amiga ...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
1987 - the best year ever for rock albums.
Not bad. No Queen album was released that year, though.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think most of it is cultural inertia.
I still have a work colleague who insists on being paid by check. People in the US seem afraid to embrace new technology.
Debit cards are last decade's technology, i believe the UK is moving towards contactless payments. I know the MAX (train) accepts this payment, but most places it doesn't work. I still have credit cards that are not chip and pin.
They also have strange business practices like when they used to charge people extra to be able to use internet banking. You would think it would save the banks money and that they would have encouraged it.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Landlords are generally cheques as most don't have the ability to accept debit or credit unless it's a professional management company, but in this area most landlords are just joe blow who bought a house or condo to rent out or they converted their basement to a suite and rent it out.
rentmoola and similar companies allow small Canadian landlords to accept auto and electronic payments.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:30 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I just noticed today that Home Depot lets you pay by PayPal at its checkouts. Why anyone would want to, I have no idea.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I just noticed today that Home Depot lets you pay by PayPal at its checkouts. Why anyone would want to, I have no idea.
I think it's like apple pay or google pay. You need an app on your phone. No idea who would want to do this. Maybe some ebay seller that has large funds in their account.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Looking at their website, I see they give you store discounts similar to other payment methods.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't written a check since 2006.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have to write a cheque to pay my property taxes once a year. They wanted $70 in fees last year to pay by card.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 1:49 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

One a month. The landlord is still old fashioned.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 4:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
rentmoola and similar companies allow small Canadian landlords to accept auto and electronic payments.
What a small landlord can access and what they wan't are 2 different things, so far the independent landlords I have had over the years didn't take electronic payments for rent even when asked.

I've even had large property management companies who wouldn't do electronic payments...
Old Aug 19th 2015, 4:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mrken30
I still have a work colleague who insists on being paid by check. People in the US seem afraid to embrace new technology.
Debit cards are last decade's technology, i believe the UK is moving towards contactless payments. I know the MAX (train) accepts this payment, but most places it doesn't work. I still have credit cards that are not chip and pin.
They also have strange business practices like when they used to charge people extra to be able to use internet banking. You would think it would save the banks money and that they would have encouraged it.
If you don't have a card, how does the contactless work? Or what is it exactly?

We have tap and pay type thing here, but you still need a card to do it for the most part.

(I am not sure how the apple thinger or google wallet thingy works, I don't use either, and don't use a smart phone.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.