Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Our state governor closed schools for the rest of the school year

Our state governor closed schools for the rest of the school year

Old Apr 6th 2020, 2:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our state governor closed schools for the rest of the school year

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I've seen photos on FB showing kindy kids with cardboard mortar boards 'graduating'. Absolutely dumb. What next, parties for toddlers graduating toilet training????
that happened At my daughter’s school too

she graduated from middle school age 13. It was a huge event Ridiculous
Old Apr 6th 2020, 2:44 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

People are dying and kids are worrying about having a graduation party or spring break. It makes me so mad.

Maybe perhaps after 'graduation' they would like to come to my hospital and help take care of COVID-19 ICU patients. That might put their life in perspective.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 12:00 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
People are dying and kids are worrying about having a graduation party or spring break. It makes me so mad.

Maybe perhaps after 'graduation' they would like to come to my hospital and help take care of COVID-19 ICU patients. That might put their life in perspective.
to be clear - my daughter isn't "worrying" about it. She and her classmates have all stepped up, accepted the social distancing/lack of classes etc even though they won't be the ones in hospital/dying. The amount of goodwill from these kids is heartwarming. I applaud them.
On the other hand, I see older people completely unwilling to step up.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 3:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

I agree, there are still plenty of people, not just school kids, who don't seem to grasp the seriousness of the situation - but in the case of school children, I mostly blame the parents for not grasping the seriousness of the situation and explained that to their children.

That which was worthy of concern a few weeks ago is now of no consequence, and it is confounding that people are worried about graduations, parties, holidays, and concerts when a highly dangerous virus is sweeping the globe and killing a significant number of people infected, certainly far above the 1% estimate that was bandied around when the disease started to spread internationally in late February.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 7th 2020 at 3:14 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

nain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond repute

This. I realise it probably dripped down from the US but when did all this graduating nonsense happen? It was an end of Uni only thing and now everyone has multiple 'Graduation' events in their education lifetime. Just odd.
Well, exactly. It just like all of those silly-ass English villages that have Morris dancers for, well, for no good reason. Just odd. Get rid of that nonsense.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 2:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nain rouge
Well, exactly. It just like all of those silly-ass English villages that have Morris dancers for, well, for no good reason. Just odd. Get rid of that nonsense.
Not really even remotely similar imo but you do you.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 4:34 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I will be pleased I don’t have to sit through a 5th grade “graduation” - it’s a non event.

I am wondering what impact this whole thing is having on the parents/kids who do a whole lot of school/extra mural sports. Is it hell, or is it a glimpse into what life could be with not having to drive hither and thither every evening?
Old Apr 8th 2020, 7:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
.... I am wondering what impact this whole thing is having on the parents/kids who do a whole lot of school/extra mural sports. Is it hell, or is it a glimpse into what life could be with not having to drive hither and thither every evening?
Stereotypically, I suspect that there may be a significant number of such "locked down" homes where a parent is more antsy than the child(en) about the cancellation of the sports program.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 8th 2020 at 8:39 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

nain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond repute

Not really even remotely similar imo but you do you.
Why does it have to be "remotely similar", Money?

Look at your posts - this thread is about closing schools, and you go off on an annoyed tangent about having parties for children. So, at least my post was consistent with YOUR posts - a rant about a local activity with which I had no personal experience as a child, and is not in my national experience, so which I dismissed as useless and silly. Apparently, you don't do irony.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 8:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Stereotypically, I suspect that there may be a significant number of such "locked down" homes where a parent is more antsy than the child(en).
my daughter is working from home and is trying to help her 5 year old with her online school lessons. Don’t envy her one little bit.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 8:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze

I am wondering what impact this whole thing is having on the parents/kids who do a whole lot of school/extra mural sports. Is it hell, or is it a glimpse into what life could be with not having to drive hither and thither every evening?
Speaking as a grandparent of a sophomore who made the varsity baseball team this year, I am missing it very much. But it certainly isn't worth risking serious illness for.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
my daughter is working from home and is trying to help her 5 year old with her online school lessons. Don’t envy her one little bit.
The complaints on our condo strata FB page are through the roof, people working from home posting complaints about kids making too much noise, the drama is fun to watch though. Give the kids a break, they are largely stuck in 500-600sq foot space and can't play with their friends, kids have energy and will only be so quiet, welcome to condo life.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 8th 2020 at 8:34 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 9:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The complaints on our condo strata FB page are through the roof, people working from home posting complaints about kids making too much noise, the drama is fun to watch though. Give the kids a break, they are largely stuck in 500-600sq foot space and can't play with their friends, kids have energy and will only be so quiet, welcome to condo life.
Good grief, do people really complain about kids making a noise in these circumstances? Stick some headphones on and get over yourselves!
Old Apr 8th 2020, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Good grief, do people really complain about kids making a noise in these circumstances? Stick some headphones on and get over yourselves!
Strata living is nothing but drama and complaints, simply can put 200+ people in a building and have everyone get along....

I think the issue is people seem to think because they are working from home, that everyone around them in the world should be quiet.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Strata living is nothing but drama and complaints, simply can put 200+ people in a building and have everyone get along....

I think the issue is people seem to think because they are working from home, that everyone around them in the world should be quiet.
There is a reason why we don't live in a condo (flat), terraced house, or even close-packed housing development.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.