Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Our state governor closed schools for the rest of the school year

Our state governor closed schools for the rest of the school year

Old Apr 5th 2020, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our state governor closed schools for the rest of the school year

A couple days ago Gretchen Whitmer (AKA to Trump as "that woman from Michigan") closed the school buildings for the rest of the year.Now, they are planning to set something up for online schooling, however before they closed schools on March 12th (before it got extended to the rest of the year) by the time my kids go back after the summer they will have been out of school for 6 months!!!

I do feel sorry for the seniors, I feel they will gypped out of a right of passage, even for the 8th graders (my youngest is in 8th grade) they will miss out on middle school graduation and their over night trip to Mackinaw. I know this is all for the greater good but for these kids, esp the seniors, it is a once in a life time opportunity.

Last edited by Ash UK/US; Apr 5th 2020 at 8:47 am.
Old Apr 5th 2020, 7:47 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our state governor closed schools for the rest of the school year

The seniors, and the Middle School “graduates”, will soon get over it. It’s just a manufactured event, like St. Patrick’s day, a wedding, or a “baby shower.” A way to spend money, sell hallmark cards, get drunk etc. When I left school in England, one day I went to school, the next day I didn’t. Absolutely no ceremony about it, and it didn’t bother me.

Surely, everyone in the US assumed weeks ago, k-12 and college, that there’d be no more school till the 2020-2021 school year, didn’t they? (Except Liberty University!)
Old Apr 5th 2020, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
The seniors, and the Middle School “graduates”, will soon get over it. It’s just a manufactured event, like St. Patrick’s day, a wedding, or a “baby shower.” A way to spend money, sell hallmark cards, get drunk etc. When I left school in England, one day I went to school, the next day I didn’t. Absolutely no ceremony about it, and it didn’t bother me.
I see what you are saying however my younger daughter is in 8th grade she watched her older sister get an 8th grade graduation (both my girls are honor roll students) her sister got to celebrate that,she got to dress up, the school threw a party, there was 8th grade grad pictures, flowers and balloon bouquets. I may do the pictures, flowers and balloons just to make all things equal from a parental standpoint but I am sure, even so, it will not be the same
Old Apr 5th 2020, 10:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

This. I realise it probably dripped down from the US but when did all this graduating nonsense happen? It was an end of Uni only thing and now everyone has multiple 'Graduation' events in their education lifetime. Just odd.
Old Apr 5th 2020, 10:57 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I see what you are saying however my younger daughter is in 8th grade she watched her older sister get an 8th grade graduation (both my girls are honor roll students) her sister got to celebrate that,she got to dress up, the school threw a party, there was 8th grade grad pictures, flowers and balloon bouquets. I may do the pictures, flowers and balloons just to make all things equal from a parental standpoint but I am sure, even so, it will not be the same
The disappointment for your daughter is real and as parents we don't like to see our kids disappointed. But honestly Ash, I'm hoping that the multiple disappointments and restrictions on younger people at present will help them build some resilience for the future.

One of the scariest things for me during this whole mess is seeing how some (certainly not all) people in their 20s and 30s have completely fallen to pieces because they've had to change their plans and they have no idea how to deal with it. It isn't even so much a feet stamping thing, it's as though they genuinely can't reconcile being denied opportunities when previously all they had to do was express a wish or idea, plan it and then do it. It's come as a huge shock to some and that is down to a lack of resilience and adaptability. Disappointments, although shitty at the time, really can teach us something.

Old Apr 5th 2020, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The disappointment for your daughter is real and as parents we don't like to see our kids disappointed. But honestly Ash, I'm hoping that the multiple disappointments and restrictions on younger people at present will help them build some resilience for the future.

One of the scariest things for me during this whole mess is seeing how some (certainly not all) people in their 20s and 30s have completely fallen to pieces because they've had to change their plans and they have no idea how to deal with it. It isn't even so much a feet stamping thing, it's as though they genuinely can't reconcile being denied opportunities when previously all they had to do was express a wish or idea, plan it and then do it. It's come as a huge shock to some and that is down to a lack of resilience and adaptability. Disappointments, although shitty at the time, really can teach us something.
Meanwhile, my wife and I are mid - late 20's, and we aren't disappointed. Mostly because our parents bought us up to accept them and expect them. For example, if I never made the starting XI for footy (soccer), my parents would never complain to the coach. If I complained, they'd say 'either shut up, or do something about it then!' haha. But yes, I know so many people and friends my age who are complaining and 'not coping', which is sad. I mean, this is nothing. Stay at home, find different things or different ways of doing what you enjoy....
Old Apr 5th 2020, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
This. I realise it probably dripped down from the US but when did all this graduating nonsense happen? It was an end of Uni only thing and now everyone has multiple 'Graduation' events in their education lifetime. Just odd.
Ash's daughters are in school in the US and in the US we celebrate milestone graduations in a big way. There is nothing odd to those who live here in this culture.

Our schools down in MS were closed for the year many years ago as were the schools in NY. The children have been attending 'classes' online since March 20th here. The schools even provide the Chromebooks for those that need them.

Planning a small family celebration for your 8th grade sounds like the way to go. Perhaps you can set up a skype or facetime with some of her classmates/friends and have a young persons online party. Everyone dresses up; all houses have balloons; a small cake; etc. Include the grandparents, as well.
Old Apr 5th 2020, 1:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Ash's daughters are in school in the US and in the US we celebrate milestone graduations in a big way. There is nothing odd to those who live here in this culture.

I know, I was responding to Robin.
Old Apr 5th 2020, 1:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I know, I was responding to Robin.

I know, MP. My response was to you both as the multi-quote function does not work for me.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 1:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in school from 1985 to 1997 in California the only graduation was high school, I didn't have elementary or middle school graduation, and I didn't even attend my high school one, screw sitting in the hot June sun for 2 hours listening to 400+ names, not my cup of tea.

My sisters kids seem to have one for elementary school, middle school and high school though.

Schools where my dad is in California have closed for the year, extended spring break as they work on distance learning programs for students to learn from home.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 6th 2020 at 1:30 am.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 1:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
When I was in school from 1985 to 1997 in California the only graduation was high school. ...
My sisters kids seem to have one for elementary school, middle school and high school though.

I've seen photos on FB showing kindy kids with cardboard mortar boards 'graduating'. Absolutely dumb. What next, parties for toddlers graduating toilet training????
Old Apr 6th 2020, 2:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen photos on FB showing kindy kids with cardboard mortar boards 'graduating'. Absolutely dumb. What next, parties for toddlers graduating toilet training????
May as well start graduation at birth, congrats on graduating from the womb to the world.

I do not recall much from my kindergarten days, but I do not recall any type of graduation and there are no photos of my childhood to indicate there was, so I am going with there wasn't one.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 1:19 pm
Concierge

Being an oldster born in 1948, when I graduated from 8th grade at a Catholic school, we had gowns and caps and a fancy dinner after with family and friends. Next graduation was high school in 1966 with cap and gown and party. I didn't attend my college graduation ceremony.

Youngest daughter had childcare graduation back in the 70's. It was a cute little ceremony and we went to brunch (as we would have done anyway) afterward.

Personally, I love the celebration of these little milestones for kids. Can't see the harm in them but can clearly see the joy and pride on the child's face and that is worth it all.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 1:43 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Surely, everyone in the US assumed weeks ago, k-12 and college, that there’d be no more school till the 2020-2021 school year, didn’t they? (Except Liberty University!)

I'm of the same mind, but my wife is pretty upset. Our son is soon to graduate from University. She thinks he's going to miss out on the whole experience.
He couldn't give a crap. Save the $$$ and buy him a new car.

Old Apr 6th 2020, 2:02 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Our schools in Austin are closed "indefinitely" and have switched to online learning.
My youngest is a HS Senior, she won't be having her senior prom, her graduation and all those other nice end of school events that her siblings had and it's really sad. I agree with Rete, celebrate all those milestones, take all the pictures and make as many memories as you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.