Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Politically Correct Terms Vary

Wikiposts

OT: Politically Correct Terms Vary

Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:00 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OT: Politically Correct Terms Vary

Originally Posted by Ray
This site is full of retards
Shut it you orienteering oriental!

Tantamount to being a rambler you are, TBH!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:01 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kimilseung
where id it go in its day
Was it Baghdad?
Come again!?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:04 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Come again!?
You want happy ending?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Come again!?
Got a kleenex?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:14 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Originally Posted by willmore
Got a kleenex?
No, Andrex.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:14 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
where id it go in its day
Was it Baghdad?
Paris to Istanbul.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Paris to Istanbul.
Constantinople.
I'm sure we've been over that before.

Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I've always loved the term "oriental' and to me it is a complement. I've always loved oriental people; my best friend at high school in UK was such (Chinese origin) and my girlfriend is now. I always thought of it as being more 'old fashioned' than offensive, like 'Persian' instead of 'Iranian'.

The issue of 'Black' vs. 'African American' is, in my mind, a complete non-starter. I refuse to use the latter. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with referring to someone as 'Black'. 'Yellow', on the other hand, can be offensive due to the 'coward' interpretation ...

Race is a legitimate way to help identify (or distinguish) someone from a crowd, just as hair color or clothing might be used - "the guy over there with the white hair" is an acceptable term (and useful, assuming there is only one white-haired guy), as is 'the black guy over there' - assuming there is only one black guy. In the context of this thread, if there is only one 'oriental' lady, then it seems a perfectly reasonable way to refer to the person. There was once a big fuss at a company I worked when someone sent out an email saying " ... there is a pickpocket in the building; be on the lookout for a tall black guy with a blue jacket". A few blacks in the office took offense because they thought it suggested that all black people are automatically pick-pockets ...
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:34 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Constantinople.
I'm sure we've been over that before.

Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's noooobodies business but the Turks'.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:50 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

How about instead of Asian, we refer to people from east Asia by the country they (or their ancestors) are actually from? It's a little presumptuous to just lump everyone together, since there are a few billion people in a fairly large land mass in that general vicinity. It's especially important since Koreans hate to be called Chinese, vice versa is also true and everyone in east Asia hates the Japanese (only partially joking here...).

Using names, it's really not that hard to tell a Korean person from a Japanese person from a Chinese person from a Vietnamese from a Thai person. After all, we generally expect people to be able to tell Germans from Italians from Poles.

Also, if you hang out with enough east Asians (or are married to one, as I am), you start to pick up on how different people from different east Asian countries look from each other. Ethnic southeast asians generally look nothing like ethnic northern asians, that's the easy part. It can be tricky to separate Chinese, Japanese and Korean people on looks alone, but you can easily resort to the name trick... Admittedly, this is a little more tricky, as even my wife will admit.

Last edited by Hiro11; Dec 14th 2009 at 1:57 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hiro11
How about instead of Asian, we refer to people from east Asia by the country they (or their ancestors) are actually from? It's a little presumptuous to just lump everyone together, since there are a few billion people in a fairly large land mass in that general vicinity. It's especially important since Koreans hate to be called Chinese, vice versa is also true and everyone in east Asia hates the Japanese (only partially joking here...).

Using names, it's really not that hard to tell a Korean person from a Japanese person from a Chinese person from a Vietnamese from a Thai person. After all, we generally expect people to be able to tell Germans from Italians from Poles.

Also, if you hang out with enough east Asians (or are married to one, as I am), you start to pick up on how different people from different east Asian countries look from each other. Ethnic southeast asians generally look nothing like ethnic northern asians, that's the easy part. It can be tricky to separate Chinese, Japanese and Korean people on looks alone, but you can easily resort to the name trick... Admittedly, this is a little more tricky, as even my wife will admit.
I am still having trouble separating the Canuck's from the Septic's
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

And the Irish hate being called British, but you'd never be able to tell the difference just by appearance (with the exception of Leprechauns of course).

Sure if I know more about the person telling the country they are from is much easier.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 10:48 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

The irony;

The banner advert at the bottom was

"NEED MEXICAN JOKES, THOUSANDS OF MEXICAN JOKES"
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:45 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

How about instead of Asian, we refer to people from east Asia by the country they (or their ancestors) are actually from? .
I agree, if you know it.

It's a little presumptuous to just lump everyone together, since there are a few billion people in a fairly large land mass in that general vicinity. It's especially important since Koreans hate to be called Chinese, vice versa is also true and everyone in east Asia hates the Japanese (only partially joking here...).

My issue with that:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Frankford-Missouri.html

You'll have to scroll down to the relevent data.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
My issue with that:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Frankford-Missouri.html

You'll have to scroll down to the relevent data.
Well then it's simple for you!

Us n' Them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.