Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Politically Correct Terms Vary

Wikiposts

OT: Politically Correct Terms Vary

Old Dec 13th 2009, 6:04 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Successful K1 Interview and a Warning!

Originally Posted by meauxna
He didn't even know that Rogue Brewery is here. tsk, another point off the N-400.

and he went to Texas by choice, 2 more points off. Lets just send him back
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:20 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OT: Politically Correct Terms Vary

I wonder how many people from the US have been on the Orient Express
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Well I learnt something today. Had no idea that the word Oriental was offensive over here.

Another one that I noticed is that people use the word Spaz on TV over here, where people don't really use that back in the UK anymore as it's kind of offensive.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:41 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
Another one that I noticed is that people use the word Spaz on TV over here, where people don't really use that back in the UK anymore as it's kind of offensive.
Spazz has the same connotation as nerd or dork over here (although perhaps a little more extreme), rather than being associated with little blue three-wheelers and leg braces, as in the UK.

One of the best psych songs from the '60 (IMHO) is Spazz by The Elastik Band:

Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:24 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I learnt something today. Had no idea that the word Oriental was offensive over here.

As a white person of Western European origin, I found this presentation humiliating and culturally insensitive.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:16 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
As a white person of Western European origin, I am legally prohibited from finding any statement or action, no matter how racist, humiliating and culturally insensitive.
Fixed it for ya.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still not sure why it's a problem!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:27 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Closest I've come is going by the original station in Istanbul.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:32 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

and the wide use of the word retard
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung
TX has a department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 10:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
This site is full of retards
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'm still not sure why it's a problem!

I'm with you. Oriental was never a slur or a racist remark when I was growing up and Asia did not include India, etc. Asian and Oriental were used to describe the area of the world that those with the characteristics of almond shaped eyes came from. Chink was racist as was calling someone a Jap. And no not the jewish american princess variety. But then I'm 61 and of a totally different era than the lot of you.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm with you. Oriental was never a slur or a racist remark when I was growing up and Asia did not include India, etc. Asian and Oriental were used to describe the area of the world that those with the characteristics of almond shaped eyes came from. Chink was racist as was calling someone a Jap. And no not the jewish american princess variety. But then I'm 61 and of a totally different era than the lot of you.
IVE NEVER HEARD THAT ORIENTAL WAS A SLUR AND WE LIVE IN A PART OF THE WORLD WHERE THEY ARE MANY PEOPLE OF ORIENTAL OR ASIAN DESCENT.....
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by willmore
IVE NEVER HEARD THAT ORIENTAL WAS A SLUR AND WE LIVE IN A PART OF THE WORLD WHERE THEY ARE MANY PEOPLE OF ORIENTAL OR ASIAN DESCENT.....
Bit shouty, tonight, Sue?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:58 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
where id it go in its day
Was it Baghdad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.