OT: border crossing

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 10:16 pm
lvlT

Sometime in the near future, I will have to cross the border into the states because I've
been in Canada for 6 months. My question is, is there a certain amount of time I have to
be in the U.S. before I can come back into Canada and restart my 6 months again?

Also, when Matt and I cross the border to go back to Montana, is it ok if we travel
together? He wants to drive and take his dog with us. I don't know what kind of problems
this could cause at the border, if we would get questioned more or not. Has anybody
crossed w/their significant other and been grilled by the customs officer? We'd more than
likely be going through Detroit/Windsor or near there.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Melissa

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 11:28 pm
goodwin

About the dog I do know that if you get a note from your Vet to say the Dog's shots are up
to date and that it is healthy. it will work for you

> Sometime in the near future, I will have to cross the border into the
states
> because I've been in Canada for 6 months. My question is, is there a certain amount of
> time I have to be in the U.S. before I can come back
into
> Canada and restart my 6 months again?
>
> Also, when Matt and I cross the border to go back to Montana, is it ok if
we
> travel together? He wants to drive and take his dog with us. I don't
know
> what kind of problems this could cause at the border, if we would get questioned more or
> not. Has anybody crossed w/their significant other and been grilled by the customs
> officer? We'd more than likely be going
through
> Detroit/Windsor or near there.
>
> Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Melissa

Old Feb 24th 2001, 1:47 am
Rete

I believe the same rules apply for US visitation as for Canadian visitation. Ask your
Canadian SO what the rules are for Canadian's visiting the US.

Rita

> About the dog I do know that if you get a note from your Vet to say the Dog's shots are
> up to date and that it is healthy. it will work for you

> > Sometime in the near future, I will have to cross the border into the
> states
> > because I've been in Canada for 6 months. My question is, is there a certain amount of
> > time I have to be in the U.S. before I can come back
> into
> > Canada and restart my 6 months again?
> >
> > Also, when Matt and I cross the border to go back to Montana, is it ok
if
> we
> > travel together? He wants to drive and take his dog with us. I don't
> know
> > what kind of problems this could cause at the border, if we would get questioned more
> > or not. Has anybody crossed w/their significant other
and
> > been grilled by the customs officer? We'd more than likely be going
> through
> > Detroit/Windsor or near there.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Melissa
> >
> >

Old Feb 24th 2001, 2:37 am
Alex Jackson

I found that we were hardly questioned at all if we were entering the States with US
plates. Whenever we went up there with my wife's car (before we were married) the return
through the border (Sweetgrass, MT) was a quick check of our ID and on our way. However,
if we were in my car it could involve more (they actually stop people based on a random
basis generated by the computer they use
- unless something indicated to stop the person any way).

So any way the point here would be that if at all possible to use a car with US plates to
do so - it may make your trip across easier.

Alex

lvlT wrote:

> Sometime in the near future, I will have to cross the border into the states because
> I've been in Canada for 6 months. My question is, is there a certain amount of time I
> have to be in the U.S. before I can come back into Canada and restart my 6 months again?
>
> Also, when Matt and I cross the border to go back to Montana, is it ok if we travel
> together? He wants to drive and take his dog with us. I don't know what kind of problems
> this could cause at the border, if we would get questioned more or not. Has anybody
> crossed w/their significant other and been grilled by the customs officer? We'd more
> than likely be going through Detroit/Windsor or near there.
>
> Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Melissa