OT: Sorry Grinch =(

Old Feb 18th 2001, 11:03 pm
Betastar

Well, Grinch- I know you're a big race-fan. I don't know who you follow, but I just
heard about the death of Dale Earnhardt Sr. and thought I'd send a "Sorry to hear the
bad news" your way.

Old Feb 18th 2001, 11:58 pm
Grinch

> Well, Grinch- I know you're a big race-fan. I don't know who you follow, but I just
> heard about the death of Dale Earnhardt Sr. and thought I'd send a "Sorry to hear the
> bad news" your way.

Thank You. I spent many hours of my life exchanging insults with my best friend, a Dale
Fanatic. He was at Daytona today and I feel so bad for him.

Thanks once again

Grinch

Old Feb 19th 2001, 11:41 am
Gordon

-O

I have been out of touch lately over here in Scotland (and in bad health), but I am sorry
to hear about the news as well. I have a lot of family that are big race fans as well,
Grinch. Sorry to you all and to his family.

Michelle Turner

>

> > Well, Grinch- I know you're a big race-fan. I don't know who you follow, but I just
> > heard about the death of Dale Earnhardt Sr. and thought I'd send a "Sorry to hear the
> > bad news" your way.
>
> Thank You. I spent many hours of my life exchanging insults with my best friend, a Dale
> Fanatic. He was at Daytona today and I feel so bad for him.
>
> Thanks once again
>
> Grinch

Old Feb 19th 2001, 6:44 pm
lvlT

My parents were at the race.....and are also big Dale fans. I'm still in shock that "The
Intimidator" is no longer... It's a sad day for racing fans. (

Old Feb 20th 2001, 12:03 am
Alvena Ferreira

lvlT wrote:
> My parents were at the race.....and are also big Dale fans. I'm still in shock that "The
> Intimidator" is no longer... It's a sad day for racing fans.

Yes, it is. However, persons who risk their lives for a living are generally well aware of
the risk when they take the job. All jobs have some risk, his has more than most. It is a
tragedy, but he knew and shouldered the risk...unfortunately his luck ran out.

From what I understand on NPR radio, however, the rules were changed to force the cars to
run closer together, in order to make the races more "exciting." Perhaps this has also
increased the risk proportionately. It's great to have exciting races, and one must then
question, is the excitement worth the increased chance of losing one's life? Evidently
those who continue to race under these rules think that it is...

alvena

Old Feb 20th 2001, 12:28 am
Grinch

> Yes, it is. However, persons who risk their lives for a living are generally well aware
> of the risk when they take the job. All jobs have some risk, his has more than most. It
> is a tragedy, but he knew and shouldered the risk...unfortunately his luck ran out.

This is true Alvena, with career winnings of over 41 million bucks it sure wasn't the
money that made him continue to do it.

>
> From what I understand on NPR radio, however, the rules were changed to force the cars
> to run closer together, in order to make the races more "exciting." Perhaps this has
> also increased the risk proportionately. It's great to have exciting races, and one must
> then question, is the excitement worth the increased chance of losing one's life?
> Evidently those who continue to race under these rules think that it is...

Daytona is one of the few tracks where you can run the whole way with your foot on the
floor. At one time speeds were being clocked of 220 mph. In order to slow the cars down
the sports governing body decide to use a restrictor plate to bring those speeds down. It
was actually not to make the races more exciting as the last few years has shown. it did
indeed make the cars run closer together though. Daytona is renown for the one big wreck
and indeed that happened earlier in the race. Tony Stewarts car took off down the home
straight causing a 20 car wreck. However all drivers walked away from that with little or
no injuries. In contrast Dale Earnhardts wreck looked comparatively harmless. However
hitting an immovable object, a wall, at 180 mph has consequences.

Nascar will survive, but I have actually lost a lot of my enthusiasm for the season

Grinch

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 12:21 pm
George Charpied

Grinch wrote:
>
> "Alvena Ferreira"wrote: persons who risk their lives for a living are
> > generally well aware of the risk...
>
> Daytona is one of the few tracks where you can run the whole way with your foot on the
> floor. At one time speeds were being clocked of 220 mph. In order to slow the cars down
> the sports governing body decide to use a restrictor plate to bring those speeds down.
> It was actually not to make the races more exciting as the last few years has shown. it
> did indeed make the cars run closer together though. Daytona is renown for the one big
> wreck and indeed that happened earlier in the race. Tony Stewarts car took off down the
> home straight causing a 20 car wreck. However all drivers walked away from that with
> little or no injuries. In contrast Dale Earnhardts wreck looked comparatively harmless.
> However hitting an immovable object, a wall, at 180 mph has consequences.
>
> Nascar will survive, but I have actually lost a lot of my enthusiasm for the season
>
> Grinch

My reply:

Also, according to a news report I read, Earnhardt driver wasn't wearing a device
that stabilizes the helmet. In collisions, it is the things the body cannot
tolerate in response to deceleration that create injury. Apparently, he broke his
neck, or some such thing.

Last week, in Columbia, a gun battle between a right wing 'self defense' group and
a left wing rebel group killed one-half of the villagers in a remote region.
That's real sad too.

George and Miglena

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 12:36 pm
Alvena Ferreira

George Charpied wrote:
> Also, according to a news report I read, Earnhardt driver wasn't wearing a
> device that stabilizes the helmet. In collisions, it is the things the body
> cannot tolerate in response to deceleration that create injury. Apparently, he
> broke his neck, or some such thing.
>
In my experience, hitting a concrete wall at 180MPH pretty well disables **any** safety
devices, if you get my drift. I'm not saying that it cannot be done, but I think that it
would be pretty difficult to find something strong enough to save your life with that
amount of deceleration. alvena

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 3:10 pm
paulgani

> Also, according to a news report I read, Earnhardt driver wasn't wearing a device that
> stabilizes the helmet. In collisions, it is the things the body cannot tolerate in
> response to deceleration that create injury. Apparently, he broke his neck, or some
> such thing.

I read something different. Apparently, if you go from 180 MPH to zero in a short time
period, no restraint is going to protect you. You have non-secured internal organs (brain,
heart, etc...) which, at the time of collision, are still moving at 180 MPH, and will be
smashed against your "hard" organs (i.e. your skull, ribcage, etc...) at 180 MPH,
effectively destroying them.

That's why those people in Star Trek need inertia dampeners.

Paulgani

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 6:10 pm
RJLiles

The new report is that his seatbelt broke.

> > Also, according to a news report I read, Earnhardt driver wasn't wearing a device that
> > stabilizes the helmet. In collisions, it is the things the body cannot tolerate in
> > response to deceleration that create injury. Apparently, he broke his neck, or some
> > such thing.
>
> I read something different. Apparently, if you go from 180 MPH to zero in
a
> short time period, no restraint is going to protect you. You have non-secured internal
> organs (brain, heart, etc...) which, at the time of collision, are still moving at 180
> MPH, and will be smashed against your "hard" organs (i.e. your skull, ribcage, etc...)
> at 180 MPH, effectively destroying them.
>
> That's why those people in Star Trek need inertia dampeners.
>
> Paulgani
>
>

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 7:10 pm
George Charpied

RJLiles wrote:
>
> The new report is that his seatbelt broke.
>

My reply:

Without question deceleration from 180 mph to 0 mph leaves little room for
survival regardless what safety features a person has. What safety features are
supposed to do, I believe, is reduce the likelihood that injuries sustained will
be less life threateneing. I saw the NASCAR story, that a lap belt broke
('...they ain't speculatin'...') today as well. I guess, in the confusion and
rush to make print earlier this week the story about the unused head restraint
may have been in error?

I still think its heartbreaking about those Columbian villagers.

George and Miglena

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 8:20 pm
RJLiles

"George Charpied" <[email protected]> wrote >
> I still think its heartbreaking about those Columbian villagers.
>
What effect on you does a bunch of Columbians killing each other have? What effect does it
have on life in general? (No a lot I would suspect)

I have heard some silly news people talking about how NASCAR will never be the same
because Ernhart died. Why? Is Ernhart the only driver in NASCAR? Is it going to dry up and
blow away because one person tragically died?

I don't think so. NASCAR and the world will continue to go on just like they always have.
It is a small bump in the road of life but as they say "Life goes on". The same as with
your Columbian Villagers you are so concerned about.

It happened, it's sad, now lets move on.

Old Feb 24th 2001, 2:49 pm
Betastar

>The new report is that his seatbelt broke.

When I first heard that, I wondered if it broke or if maybe it was torn or cut through by
the EMS workers.

But I guess it broke.

Even then, I don't know that it would have saved his life.

As for why people care (I think RJ asked) - the man was a hero to many. Personally, I
wasn't that much into racing - but I live in North Carolina, where Earnhardt is from, and
the effects here are pretty amazing.

People compare its effect on NASCAR to the effect Michael Jordon dying when he was playing
BBall would have had.

Old Feb 24th 2001, 10:30 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Betastar wrote:
> As for why people care (I think RJ asked) - the man was a hero to many. Personally, I
> wasn't that much into racing - but I live in North Carolina, where Earnhardt is from,
> and the effects here are pretty amazing.
>
I thought it was interesting that at out local wal-mart here in kentucky, they had a
table with Dale Earnhart cakes on it, with little racing cars on the cakes...I'm sorry,
but this is way beyond my ability to understand.... but I guess gods are wherever your
heart is. alvena

Old Feb 25th 2001, 12:41 pm
Rita

> but I guess gods are wherever your heart is. alvena

At least this hero was not a tainted god like Daryl Strawberry with a rap sheet and
substance abuse history.

Rita

----------
This message was composed at http://www.editnews.com