Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OMG! Should we try this again?!?

OMG! Should we try this again?!?

Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Cool OMG! Should we try this again?!?

OMG, this has been a roller coaster of a year. We moved to Seattle from KY in Dec. 2012. Then the hubby gets laid off in late April, throwing our finances into a tailspin. His layoff caused us to dig deep into our remaining savings, almost wiping them out.

Well, we still haven't been any happier in our new location out there, than we were back in Louisville. When OH was laid off, he decided to apply for a couple of positions back in Scotland. He interviewed for a couple of them. But then we did some number crunching and we realized that even if he was offered a job, he likely couldn’t accept it because of our depleted savings. So about 2 ½ weeks ago, we decided to postpone a potential move back until next year – after we’d had time to replenish savings.

Well, one of the Edinburgh jobs he applied for came back to him today, 5weeks after the interview (and no other communication from them) and offered him the job. It’s a decent salary (by UK standards), and they are offering relocation assistance. They said they would fly him over in a couple of weeks (on their dime) to train him up on a few things, then allow him to fly back here to be with me until the end of Aug or so. And they would give us a lump sum of money to use for the relo – we don’t know the amount as yet. We've also got to verify if they can do anything for us about health insurance since we would be staying here through the end of Aug./Early Sept. They have US offices, so hopefully they'd be able to do something for us.

Soooo, depending on the lump sum, we could actually make a move this year, and I would still get to use my current ILE/ILR visa.

This just feels surreal and its completely unexpected that they would offer relo assistance. But we just aren’t sure if we should go because financially things would still be tight for awhile, and we likely wouldn’t be able to pay some of our debts off that we have here in the US – some medical and some consumer debt. And we are upside down on the car. But this is a once in a million job offer that would help us move.

Oh, what to do ya know?!

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jun 28th 2013 at 10:27 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG! Should we try this again?!?

If health insurance is an issue, could you move to Scotland earlier than the end of September?

I don't know whether you should go or not...but it does seem like a good opportunity.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:33 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If he still hasn't found work in the US, then I would go. A job is a job and good ones anywhere are hard to find.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: OMG! Should we try this again?!?

Originally Posted by lansbury
If he still hasn't found work in the US, then I would go. A job is a job and good ones anywhere are hard to find.

+1

Go for it, it's like karma, perfect timing and all that!!
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I should have said that he did find a job here in Seattle about 3 weeks ago or so. He'd be trading a US job that pays pretty good (mid-$80s) for a UK job paying around mid £30s..so definitely a downside..but we all know that salaries are lower in the UK. The other question I have is are they going to pay him into a UK account, or can they deposit into our US account. If they pay into the UK account, we could lose out on some exchange rate on transfers. But then those funds would be there when we need them to set up the flat and stuff, so that's a trade off too.

I'm not sure if we will have enough financially before Aug to be able to move..but that greatly depends on the relo they offer. Unfortunately we won't know that amount until the HR send him an official written offer on Mon/Tue.

Damn it's hard to concentrate at work today!
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:15 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
OMG, this has been a roller coaster of a year. We moved to Seattle from KY in Dec. 2012. Then the hubby gets laid off in late April, throwing our finances into a tailspin. His layoff caused us to dig deep into our remaining savings, almost wiping them out.

Well, we still haven't been any happier in our new location out there, than we were back in Louisville. When OH was laid off, he decided to apply for a couple of positions back in Scotland. He interviewed for a couple of them. But then we did some number crunching and we realized that even if he was offered a job, he likely couldn’t accept it because of our depleted savings. So about 2 ½ weeks ago, we decided to postpone a potential move back until next year – after we’d had time to replenish savings.

Well, one of the Edinburgh jobs he applied for came back to him today, 5weeks after the interview (and no other communication from them) and offered him the job. It’s a decent salary (by UK standards), and they are offering relocation assistance. They said they would fly him over in a couple of weeks (on their dime) to train him up on a few things, then allow him to fly back here to be with me until the end of Aug or so. And they would give us a lump sum of money to use for the relo – we don’t know the amount as yet. We've also got to verify if they can do anything for us about health insurance since we would be staying here through the end of Sept. They have US offices, so hopefully they'd be able to do something for us.

Soooo, depending on the lump sum, we could actually make a move this year, and I would still get to use my current ILE/ILR visa.

This just feels surreal and its completely unexpected that they would offer relo assistance. But we just aren’t sure if we should go because financially things would still be tight for awhile, and we likely wouldn’t be able to pay some of our debts off that we have here in the US – some medical and some consumer debt. And we are upside down on the car. But this is a once in a million job offer that would help us move.

Oh, what to do ya know?!
I'd definitely go for it. If my company would pay my relocation as well, so much the better.
As someone else said, a job is a job. Besides if they want him badly enough to offer the relocation package and are offering to fly him back to train, they don't sound like they'd be bad to work for.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. This is a toughie. We have gainful employment here in Houston but we miss Scotland and often discuss going back.

Even with salary to salary match (and relo, etc.) we still aren't so sure we can afford the housing if we go back as we are off the property ladder. This is the reason why we stay put here.

We'd have to save a few more years to afford to go back just so we can afford to buy a house again.

30k GBP per annum isn't a lot in Edinburgh... Just an opinion.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 3:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I should have said that he did find a job here in Seattle about 3 weeks ago or so. He'd be trading a US job that pays pretty good (mid-$80s) for a UK job paying around mid £30s..so definitely a downside..but we all know that salaries are lower in the UK. The other question I have is are they going to pay him into a UK account, or can they deposit into our US account. If they pay into the UK account, we could lose out on some exchange rate on transfers. But then those funds would be there when we need them to set up the flat and stuff, so that's a trade off too.

I'm not sure if we will have enough financially before Aug to be able to move..but that greatly depends on the relo they offer. Unfortunately we won't know that amount until the HR send him an official written offer on Mon/Tue.

Damn it's hard to concentrate at work today!

You have a job in both countries, even though one pays less than the other, so basic need is met even if things would be tight for a while.

To me, the question you need to ask yourselves is where, in your heart of hearts, do you really want to be? This country, or that.

You have a choice now that not many get, so dig deep for the answer. As my Mexican friends say, "la vida es una y no hay vuelta." (There is one life, and there's no turning back.)
Old Jun 29th 2013, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A thought that occurred to me last night could pose a nightmare come tax time. If he is here in the US, working remotely for them the last 4-5 weeks we are here, then what taxes are they going to be taking out? UK or US taxes? Or since it will (hopefully) only be for a month, should we just not worry about it? You think it would be worth asking them about it?
Old Jun 29th 2013, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You have a job in both countries, even though one pays less than the other, so basic need is met even if things would be tight for a while.

To me, the question you need to ask yourselves is where, in your heart of hearts, do you really want to be? This country, or that.

You have a choice now that not many get, so dig deep for the answer. As my Mexican friends say, "la vida es una y no hay vuelta." (There is one life, and there's no turning back.)
Thanks LIW. That's a pretty good quote to try and live by. There are sooo many variables that go into answering the question of 'which country', it's hard to understand what's in one's heart sometimes. This offer has come completely out the blue, and is so very unexpected, esp since they are offering relo assistance - which we hoped for, but knew it was very long shot.

It almost seems too good to be true. When would another job offer come along that actually offers the relo? And its in a great location. I've visited Edinburgh, and think its a beautiful city. And we've realized that despite the 3k mile difference between Louisville and Seattle, much is still the same about living in the US no matter the location and local politics.

Are we naive, & romantic, with rose-tinted glasses on, to presume that life in Scotland would be any different or better? Its nice to know we'd never have to worry about medical expenses there, but what are the realistic drawbacks to NHS? I really have no clue how the system works (having not had to use it when there previously), and I have a great fear of the unknown given an existing medical condition.

But I recognize there are intangible benefits to Scotland. The history, the culture, being able to take trips into the Highlands, or England or over to Europe easier. How do you weigh that up? <sigh> so confused..It doesn't help that we are held in the grip of analysis paralysis after a series of disappointing decisions in the last couple of years. Afraid to stay, and afraid to go.

But there is only one life, and you do have to try and live with no regrets. And should we let financial obligations (i.e credit cards, student loans) hold us back from trying to make a go of it in Scotland? At this point in my life, I'd have to just say to hell with the debt, let's find a place that we can find some happiness and settle down!

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jun 29th 2013 at 4:24 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Hmm. This is a toughie. We have gainful employment here in Houston but we miss Scotland and often discuss going back.

Even with salary to salary match (and relo, etc.) we still aren't so sure we can afford the housing if we go back as we are off the property ladder. This is the reason why we stay put here.

We'd have to save a few more years to afford to go back just so we can afford to buy a house again.

30k GBP per annum isn't a lot in Edinburgh... Just an opinion.
You could certainly afford to rent a property in Britain on £30k, which isn't actually a bad salary at the end of the day.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 4:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks LIW. That's a pretty good quote to try and live by. There are sooo many variables that go into answering the question of 'which country', it's hard to understand what's in one's heart sometimes. This offer has come completely out the blue, and is so very unexpected, esp since they are offering relo assistance - which we hoped for, but knew it was very long shot.

It almost seems too good to be true. When would another job offer come along that actually offers the relo? And its in a great location. I've visited Edinburgh, and think its a beautiful city. And we've realized that despite the 3k mile difference between Louisville and Seattle, much is still the same about living in the US no matter the location and local politics.

Are we naive, & romantic, with rose-tinted glasses on, to presume that life in Scotland would be any different or better? Its nice to know we'd never have to worry about medical expenses there, but what are the realistic drawbacks to NHS? I really have no clue how the system works (having not had to use it when there previously), and I have a great fear of the unknown given an existing medical condition.

But I recognize there are intangible benefits to Scotland. The history, the culture, being able to take trips into the Highlands, or England or over to Europe easier. How do you weigh that up? <sigh> so confused..It doesn't help that we are held in the grip of analysis paralysis after a series of disappointing decisions in the last couple of years. Afraid to stay, and afraid to go.

But there is only one life, and you do have to try and live with no regrets. And should we let financial obligations (i.e credit cards, student loans) hold us back from trying to make a go of it in Scotland? At this point in my life, I'd have to just say to hell with the debt, let's find a place that we can find some happiness and settle down!

Edinburgh is a lovely place, but for analysis paralysis stop making lists of day to day obligations and unfathomable possibilities for a minute and just stop to feel what the long term will be like and what really makes you happy. Fundamentally.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
You could certainly afford to rent a property in Britain on £30k, which isn't actually a bad salary at the end of the day.
I agree. His potential salary is actually a bit more than mid-£30k's, which I do think is a pretty good salary, esp for Scotland. We could get a fairly decent flat for around £500-£600pcm, and should still have enough to live off of.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 4:39 pm

I agree. His potential salary is actually a bit more than mid-£30k's, which I do think is a pretty good salary, esp for Scotland. We could get a fairly decent flat for around £500-£600pcm, and should still have enough to live off of.
Plus all the fried Mars Bars you can eat.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Plus all the fried Mars Bars you can eat.
And deep fried haggis, or deep fried pizza or deep fried anything else you want!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.