Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Off topic posts re QM2 removed from the B2 visa/cargo ship thread in the Imm. Forum

Off topic posts re QM2 removed from the B2 visa/cargo ship thread in the Imm. Forum

Old Jul 1st 2017, 9:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off topic posts re QM2 removed from the B2 visa/cargo ship thread in the Imm. Forum

Originally Posted by AdamD
Hmm not heard of the ITX fare thing
I did message Cunard at one point through Facebook to query about delaying the return flight, so I could spend time with family, but they basically said no can do, you have to leave the same day.
I'm not with this at all. Why don't you book with Cunard...then separately book your flight? That's what we do. If a return flight is cheaper...go ahead and book it.

BTW a mid winter sailing across the North Atlantic will probably be pretty brutal. Don't expect to go spend much time...if any...on deck and if you are prone to sea sickness take plenty of anti sickness remedies.

Edit: Try Imagine Cruising...give them the dates you wish to travel and see what they come up with.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 9:08 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa for Cargo ship passenger travel

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm not with this at all. Why don't you book with Cunard...then separately book your flight? That's what we do. If a return flight is cheaper...go ahead and book it.

BTW a mid winter sailing across the North Atlantic will probably be pretty brutal. Don't expect to go spend much time...if any...on deck and if you are prone to sea sickness take plenty of anti sickness remedies.

Edit: Try Imagine Cruising...give them the dates you wish to travel and see what they come up with.
Because the ITX is cheaper - they can be as low as £1 plus tax. Also if he books the whole thing with Cunard he has ATOL protection which he wouldn't if he booked piece meal. And it means he can get a better rate on the cruise cabin because it's sold as a component of a package rather than a stand-alone item. QM2 was built specifically for the transatlantic route and has stabilizers and is a smooth sailing (I did one in November a few years back).
Old Jul 1st 2017, 9:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Because the ITX is cheaper - they can be as low as £1 plus tax. Also if he books the whole thing with Cunard he has ATOL protection which he wouldn't if he booked piece meal. And it means he can get a better rate on the cruise cabin because it's sold as a component of a package rather than a stand-alone item. QM2 was built specifically for the transatlantic route and has stabilizers and is a smooth sailing (I did one in November a few years back).
We've travelled May...force 10 gale and it was a rough sailing. Also travelled in January...even worse. Just luck I suppose. Yes Cunard ships are ocean liners...not cruise ships...that's why they can cross the North Atlantic in winter.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 9:31 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

How about a one-way from Orlando or Fort Lauderdale on Norwegian?
Old Jul 1st 2017, 9:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

How about a one-way from Orlando or Fort Lauderdale on Norwegian?
May get a re-positioning cruise...they are usually offered in the spring and fall. Princess and Royal Caribbean may also be available...from FL or Miami to the Med.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 9:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We've travelled May...force 10 gale and it was a rough sailing. Also travelled in January...even worse. Just luck I suppose. Yes Cunard ships are ocean liners...not cruise ships...that's why they can cross the North Atlantic in winter.
They do stop during the first part of the year for the world cruises. So they no longer have the January problems. Off to sunnier climes then!
Old Jul 1st 2017, 9:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

They do stop during the first part of the year for the world cruises. So they no longer have the January problems. Off to sunnier climes then!
I mentioned the New Year world cruises earlier in the thread. We like to join the first few legs of a world cruise...a nice getaway after Christmas and NY is over.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

We travelled across to US this visit on QM2 (June) and are travelling back from Houston in a week or so. No problem at all, all done and sorted by Cunard.

You do not have to travel straight back from NYC ...
Old Jul 5th 2017, 12:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopSec
We travelled across to US this visit on QM2 (June) .... You do not have to travel straight back from NYC ...
NSS.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
NSS.
Pulaski, I was replying to AdamD's post #14. Perhaps I should have quoted it so it didn't seem quite such an obvious statement ...
Old Jul 5th 2017, 10:54 am
Just Joined

AdamD is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Topsec, it's something I'll definitely look into!
Old Jul 5th 2017, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=AdamD;12284902]I think at this point it'd be simpler to just go across by ocean liner, the prices are roughly the same, I just don't like large crowds of people, so figured a cargo ship would be better.

QUOTE]

It costs the same on a cargo ship as the QM2?

That's nuts!
Old Jul 5th 2017, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

AdamD is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea, QM2 is around 1.8K to 2.0K GBP
The cargo ships base their price on a daily charge, which for a single/sole occupant is around £140 a day I believe
QM2 takes 7 days, the cargo ship takes 12, so £1680, not including the extras like port fees, VISA cost and such which i think was around £300 in total.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

The cargo ships base their price on a daily charge, which for a single/sole occupant is around £140 a day I believe
QM2 takes 7 days, the cargo ship takes 12, so £1680, not including the extras like port fees, VISA cost and such which i think was around £300 in total.
I think I'd stick with the QM2 if prices are similar. I'm sure you could avoid the crowds by picking your times and staying in your cabin.

As previously mentioned, if staying in Tampa, I'd look at Orlando. I have flown Norwegian and Thomas Cook from there. They will allow one-way for less than a return. I have seen one-way tickets Orlando to Manchester on Thomas Cook for as little as $119.
Prices are high at the moment due to school holidays but they have a one-way on 4th October for £200.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 2:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

We've sailed transatlantic on the QM2 for around $600 per person...balcony cabin. Depends on the dates and when you book. You can get some great last minute deals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.